best db in the game...

Ranatoro

is it fulcher, haddix, or woodson.

Fulcher, with his 69 ms, 75 hp, and 69 int seems like the best choice. however, suppose you defined run stopping ability as ms+hp, and pass stopping ability as ms+int. In that case, Rod Woodson, with his 75 ms, 69 hp, and 63 int would actually equal fulcher in both categories, and it is tough to underestimate the effect of that extra speed. Then we have wayne haddix, and although he can be overpowered a bit with his 44 hp, is a full two levels above the other two guys in pass defense, with his 75 ms, 75 int- an absolute nightmare against any pass-first offense.

This has been spinning around in my head with relation to the hstl, where alignments and such are up to the coaches, so arguments like "fulcher is in the best spot" are interesting, but don't clear up my dilemma at all.

I think if someone is your main guy, you don't want him being able to be thrown off by a runner or reciever, so I'd take the HP into consideration first among these 3 evenly matched players, and Haddix is out. Then it's your choice among Woodson and Fulcher. I'd go with Woodson if they had even HP, but I like Fulcher for that, and his INT is better as well, for one less speed.

I need the HP. Nothing is more dominant than running over people without a grapple. Fulcher can run over several starting RB's without a grapple. Add that in with his INT numbers and he is the best choice at DB.

Woodson is a close second, is my opinion. I just don't feel as dominant with Haddix for some reason.

Survey question: Do you guys consistently run over MAN RBs with Fulcher? I know he can smack down a lot of CPU guys, but I wanted to get an idea of how much human players can do it, since I haven't had Fulcher or LT or any huge HP player for a while now to where I can assess their performance.

I need the HP. Nothing is more dominant than running over people without a grapple. Fulcher can run over several starting RB's without a grapple. Add that in with his INT numbers and he is the best choice at DB.

Woodson is a close second, is my opinion. I just don't feel as dominant with Haddix for some reason.

if by "run over" you mean those popcorn style tackles that lt gets whenever he runs into a qb, then no. I have fulcher in hstl, and the only time he popcorns a human ball carrier is sometimes right after a wr makes a catch, they will instantly go down. But even against a guy like thurman thomas or dave meggett, a grapple is required to take them down.

To Tell you the truth, I have found that I get more interceptions with Carrier than the rest of them.

However, when I play against the good DBs it is a completely different story. Rod Woodsen and Wayne Haddix give me nightmares and a Ryan Leaf like QB Rating. However, I have to give the edge to Rod Woodsen because I have seen him make interceptions that I thought were impossible. That 75 ms is a killer.

I'd have to go real old school and say Ronnie Lott. This was a little past his prime, but all you have to do is put his name on the screen and your opponent gets a little queasy. There ain't too many players he has to grapple to the ground.

Typically, i don't care too much about hitting or INTs, i just want speed. I have one of those "nerve problems" so most of my opponents can't out-grapple me anyway. Fulcher, Woodson, Lott, Haddix, Sanders, Atwater, McDonald, Browner, Allen, White, McMillian, Waters, Johnson all have the speed i like to use.

It would be extremely close for me between Haddix, Woodson, and Fulcher. Haddix is all-around great but he can underachieve and he does not stand up well in the HP department. Fulcher is a beast at stopping the run and has pretty good speed as well and does not fade away most games, but he does not usually become possessed. Woodson is kind of in no-man's land there because he has some HP and some INTs and great speed, but he becomes possessed a lot no matter what Tecmo version it is and that makes him so much better. Lott is not a consideration (for me) because even though he becomes very very possessed when his condition rises, he does not perform at a _great_ level otherwise and I don't know if I want to rely on him being possessed 16 games out of the year.

I don't think I would pick Haddix first in a draft because I would have to feature him in the run-stopping game and that would not work well if you had blockers coming up on your struggle. If you had the 2-DB style draft in HSTL 4 that the members of this board were discussing with regards to Lind's team, then you would want to pick Lott, no question, because you also get Waymer with that. Bussey isn't that good compared to Waymer, and that also means you get two great safeties who can INTercept.

However, on just those 3 guys, if all of them were still on the board, I'd try to trade down and see if I could get one of those 3 later on, in exchange for additional draft picks in the 5th-6th rounds where you can definitely still get quality players who can start for you. If it came down to it and I couldn't trade down or up for a great offensive player, then I think I would have to go with Woodson because you get Dwayne Woodruff who is clearly better than Bussey in the ratings. If you don't trust your thumb however with lag and such, choose Fulcher for security.

Obviously I'm a little biased and would pick Fulcher over anyone else. I liked the description of how he was LT with interceptions. Not only are his numbers great, but with Fulcher you can get hot and get a special connection where you can actually call his interceptions. He has single-handedly dominated a MAN 49ers team for me, and you only have to press B once to get to him (always a plus...I'm lazy).

However, you're exactly right about Ronnie Lott. I pee my pants when I see that guy.

the answer is fulcher. safties are better than corners that can be blown up by 2 and sometimes 3 blockers. haddix has no hitting power so that's especially true of him. woodson lacks the INT prowess of the top notch. carrier isn't fast enough. fulcher lacks nothing. i'd put lott at #2. he's fulcher minus the great hands

honorable mention - ronnie lippett. gotta agree with mr. lyght. he's a performer