Best and Worst Teams on TSB SNES / Sega

Tecmo Pro

Isn't Reggie White 69 MS? I think others Clyde Simmons, Cortez Kennedy, Wayne Martin and Chris Doleman are all 63 MS. An a couple of others I may be forgetting, Neil Smith comes to mind. I understand the realism, but Bruce should on par with those aforementioned players and he'd a DE.

HP doesn't? This can't be true. I'm gonna have to change certain aspects of my thinking regarding TSB if this is the case.

Saints defense is underrated. Wayne Martin, Ricky Jackson, Sam Mills and Vaughan Johnson. That secondary leaves something to be desired though.

I agree, Saints secondary is not the best, but they have an amazing front with the linebackers.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Best

1. Buffalo (Easily the best all around team in the game. Very balanced offense and a great D with Smith, Bennett, Jones, and Kelso.)

2. Houston (Explosive offense with great passing attack and decent running with Lorrenzo White who has 56 MS. Defense is solid too.)

3. Dallas (Good offense. Defense is solid but lacks impact players)

4. Miami (Marino is a top 3 QB and he has several good receivers with Fryar, Jackson, and Ingram as well as a very good offensive line. Running game isn't too shabby either as Mark Higgs as 50 MS. Defense isn't great but is decent enough thanks to the secondary and Byran Cox)

5. Philadelphia (Cunninghamm is great although he doesn't have many receiving threats other then Fred Barnett. Walker and Sherman are one of the better running back tandems. Defensively they have perhaps the best defensive line in the game but their secondary is weak other then Eric Allen)

I find San Francisco a little overrated in this version. Yeah their offense is awesome, but their defense is pretty mediocre as Tim McDonald is really their only player that's above average.

Worst

1. New England (Not even close. No talent what so ever. I would say that they are the worst team in the history of Tecmo.

2. Cincinnati (Harold Green and not much else)

3. Tampa Bay (Like Cincinnati a one man team with Reggie Cobb being their only good player)

4. NY Jets (Pretty poor team on both sides of the ball. Defense is terrible other then their two safties, Lott and Washington)

5. LA Rams (Weak team with no stars. Their best player is probably Bettis who while decent isn't really anything spectacular)

I've found a lot of discussion on the best teams in the NES version but since the rosters are different on the SNES and Sega versions of Tecmo Super Bowl which teams are the best and which are the worsts?

assdan-bobbymoynihan.jpg

• 5 years later...
On 2/26/2013 at 9:17 AM, bgboud2 said:

Hate to break it to you but HP does nothing for breaking tackles.

It does on the later snes versions, and the game can be modified to make it matter such as in the league I run.

Glad to see the Saints get a little love but that offense is too limited. Rob I don't know why you say the Saints defense is not in the discussion though. Not the best but I would say in top 5.

if this is true then why do guys like Craig Heyward popcorn off defenders like nothing...

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2018 at 7:24 PM, dgn107 said:

if this is true then why do guys like Craig Heyward popcorn off defenders like nothing...

On the NES, in Man vs. Man matchups, HP does not matter. It goes by the number of taps of the Man player. You can popcorn Com defenders with someone like Heyward or Okoye. So in that respect, it does something, but when you face off against a Man defender, it doesn't.

• 1 month later...
On 9/2/2013 at 4:31 PM, Sterling89 said:

Best

1. Buffalo (Easily the best all around team in the game. Very balanced offense and a great D with Smith, Bennett, Jones, and Kelso.)

2. Houston (Explosive offense with great passing attack and decent running with Lorrenzo White who has 56 MS. Defense is solid too.)

3. Dallas (Good offense. Defense is solid but lacks impact players)

4. Miami (Marino is a top 3 QB and he has several good receivers with Fryar, Jackson, and Ingram as well as a very good offensive line. Running game isn't too shabby either as Mark Higgs as 50 MS. Defense isn't great but is decent enough thanks to the secondary and Byran Cox)

5. Philadelphia (Cunninghamm is great although he doesn't have many receiving threats other then Fred Barnett. Walker and Sherman are one of the better running back tandems. Defensively they have perhaps the best defensive line in the game but their secondary is weak other then Eric Allen)

Completely disagree with this. Dallas is easily better than both Houston and Buffalo. The Cowboys have one of the stronger defenses in this game, despite them not having star power. Emmitt Smith is also one of the best RBs in the game and Aikman don't throw many picks. In all of my years of playing Tecmo, Aikman is one of the few QBs that are the hardest to intercept. They are better than just a good offense, this is one of the best offenses in the whole game. 

Buffalo's defense is anything but great. The Bills can get gashed on the ground by a decent run attack and their secondary represents all the struggles they had from the years that Tecmo reflectively represents in real life. The 90's 4 SB trip Bills were known for having an elite offense and an average at best defense. By 1992, their defense was starting to hit rock bottom outside of the few play makers they had (Smith, Bennett and Odomes). 

Philly and Miami are both middle tier teams and are no way better than the 49ers, who should be the 2nd or at least 3rd best team in the league. The Niners have the best offense in the game with the best QB, WR and they have a decent 2nd WR (John Taylor) and probably the best TE. Oh yeah, they also have Rickey Watters. God I hated this team growing up. They used to kick my beloved Saints asses twice a year. The 49ers offense is easily the best in this game and I'll take them over the Oilers for the sole reason that you can run the ball better. Even their pass plays are better than Houston cause you have options for short throws to the RBs and hitting the TE over the middle. 

I've never had much success with Mark Higgs in this game. The Dolphins are all about Marino and their excellent receivers. The running game always breaks down at some point in the season. Their defense is underrated in these games, but far from a dominant unit like San Diego, Pittsburgh, New Orleans or even Seattle. 

3. Tampa Bay (Like Cincinnati a one man team with Reggie Cobb being their only good player)

Not true and I can say that cause I won a Super Bowl with them and took them to the SB in another season before that. Tampa Bay is no where close to being as bad as they seem on paper. They are not an average team, but they are close to being one and can be one of the better teams in this game if you play them up to their strengths. 

The man that my account is named after is NOT a bad QB in this game. He's just immobile and slow, but he's accurate and can have a good deep ball. 

Reggie Cobb is great, but Workman is also a good back and their TE is good. On defense you get Hardy Nickerson and Broderick Thomas, both of whom have potential to be sack machines if you use them right. 

Tampa Bay has one main advantage over every other bad team in this game and that is their play book. Their play book is one of the better ones in this game that can make a bad offense work. 

4. NY Jets (Pretty poor team on both sides of the ball. Defense is terrible other then their two safties, Lott and Washington)

Won a SB with them back in 2015 and their defense is definitely not terrible. They're not great, but they are average and you play up to their strengths (defensive line and LBs), they are pretty useful. 

On offense, you have the HB pitch play which is the most broken play in the game. Their playbook is bad, but Boomer is far from the worst QBs in this game. My favorite guy on their offense is Johnny Mitchell, whom is one of the better TEs in this game. Use him like a WR and you'll be converting first downs constantly. You can also run the ball pretty good with the Jets. If you want to see them as a poor team, load up TSB 2 with their 1992 squad that has Browning Nagle at QB or the version in TSB 3 where they are the worst team in the league. 

5. LA Rams (Weak team with no stars. Their best player is probably Bettis who while decent isn't really anything spectacular)

I won a SB with these guys too!

Flipper Anderson and Henry Ellard were stars back in the day and they are accurately represented in this game. It's definitely not true that this team is lacking in stars. 

Jim Everett is one of the better QBs in this game. This game probably has the best version of him of all the SNES Tecmos and he's not throwing to scrubs. Flipper and Ellard can be terrific deep threat receivers. 

The Rams also have Todd Kinchen as a backup, who can also be a pretty decent WR if you want to use him. Sub him at the TE spot for easy pass plays. 

On defense you get Kevin Greene at LB, who was definitely a star back in the day and is useful in this game. 

Rams are a middle tier team, they are far from the worst. 

Replace Tampa Bay and the LA Rams with Seattle and Arizona, then your list of worst teams would look better.

Arizona has the worst playbook in the entire game and their whole team is horrible. On offense you get Garrison Hearst, Randall Hill and Rickey Proehl. I have to mention Proehl cause he seems to always make catches in tight coverage for the COM. Hill is useful and so is Hearst, but you have a bad QB situation (Only Seattle has worst QBs) and on defense, their front 4 and Aeneas Williams are the only good spots. 

Seattle on the other hand fits your depiction of the Rams. Chris Warren is their only play maker on offense. Their WRs are the worst in the game and your QBs are two major busts whom can't throw accurately down the field. On the other side of the ball, their defense is really good with Cortez Kennedy who is a sack monster. You can play the Seahawks as a dominant defense, but their offense is absolutely terrible. Too bad Dan McGwire didn't do steroids like his brother, it probably would've made the Seahawks offense a bit better. 

Edited by _DEBERG

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/28/2019 at 4:36 PM, slim_jimmy7 said:

Loved being the Jets in this version, Rob Moore, could catch anything above his head, if it is right at him forget it, if he has to dive it's 50/50, if he has to run from anyone, lord help us all.

Totally agree, Rob Moore is awesome. He can be a legit deep threat and it helps that Boomer Esasion has accuracy. They are frustrating as hell in TSB 2 with Browning Nagle and a washed up Ken O'Brien. 

I won a SB with the Jets in this version and their offense was damn good. My favorite guy though is Johnny Mitchell. In TSB 2, I often utilize him with their passing plays cause he's a key player for third down passing and hell, he's even good down field catching deep balls. It's only too bad that in the 1992 season you are stuck with Nagle or a washed up O'Brien. The 1993 version of the Jets can be a playoff contender in that version. 

Jets are one of the most underrated teams in this version though. I grew to love playing with them over time and got that SB win with them. They are more fun than the Raiders, whom I grow convinced are cursed in these games, cause bad random stuff seems to always happen to me with them. 

• 4 years later...