All time Super Bowl greats for Tecmo Bowl?

apollo1980

WOW! That was a quick response.

Thanks.

Actually, when it comes to helmets, I was hoping to get permission to use helmets already made for the following teams:

1968 Jets (can I use someone's helmet created for last season, since the modern day Jets and historic jets use the same uniforms and helmets?)

1998 Broncos (can I use someone's helmet created for last season?)

2000 Ravens (can I use someone's helmet created for last season?)

2002 Buccaneers (Can I use someone's helmet created for last season?)

2004 Patriots (Can I use someone's helmet created for last season?)

I'm basically asking permission to be a leech using someone else's creation. If I get permission (and I won't do it unless I get permission to be fair to someone else's work), is there a way to 'extract' those helmets, and if so, how?

Thanks again!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure if you can move helmets from one rom to another, but I've become pretty adept at changing the small helmets using nesticle and a hex editor. Changing the small helmets is pretty easy, actually, now that I've figured out where everything is based on what other people have posted. I also know how to do large helmets, though I haven't started mine yet.

If you want, you could send me your rom when you're done with everything else and I could do the helmets for you. I actually quite enjoy it.

I didn't know you could use TSB Tool for the playbooks. I was using version 1.2. Is there another?

I might be able to offer more advice if I knew what you were trying to accomplish. Are you making the rom to publish to the public? Are you going to have the rom turned into a cart? Or is this something you just want to have for yourself?

I didn't know you could use TSB Tool for the playbooks. I was using version 1.2. Is there another?

I might be able to offer more advice if I knew what you were trying to accomplish. Are you making the rom to publish to the public? Are you going to have the rom turned into a cart? Or is this something you just want to have for yourself?

I released version 2.0.2 beta a little while ago, it's on page 8 of the TSBTool thread.

Apollo-

Then I have a few more pieces of advice:

1) Determine your offense/defense sim ratings for each team first. You can use these as a guide when you make your player ratings. For example, I gave the 85 Bears the highest defensive sim value (15) in my rom. When I was making my player ratings, I made sure that their defensive ratings as a unit were higher than the rest. Sounds elementary, but I had to do a complete analysis of ratings in my rom before I realized how poor a job I had done (for example, I made the 2004 Eagles defense one of the best in the game without knowing it).

2) Simulate a lot of seasons to get a feel for how it plays out. In a league of all-time greats, you should have a lot of teams between 7-9 and 9-7 records. This will also help you identify which players have sim values that are out of whack.

3) I wanted my game to play as close to the original as possible, so I looked for trends in the player ratings from the original game. For example, I noticed that for defensive players RS

4) Get a second opinion. When I thought I was done, I had a friend play a few games. He let me know of a few things that didn't seem right, which I was able to fix easily.

If you have any other questions, I'll try and answer.

Thanks for the tips.

I finished entering in the names and jersey numbers for all of the teams.

I am having problems getting tsbtool to work for me.

Only once did it pull up mug shots for me to enter race in, and it didn't happened when I actually had my data file loaded, so I'm at a loss right now.

Thanks for the tips.

Only once did it pull up mug shots for me to enter race in, and it didn't happened when I actually had my data file loaded, so I'm at a loss right now.

Use TSBM 1.3. I've never had any problems with it. The only glitch is sometimes the KR and PR reset to the original rom. Otherwise it's perfect.

Thanks for the tips.

Can you upload your text data file so I can check it out?

Post a reply in the TSBTool thread and upload your text file.

Apollo-

Then I have a few more pieces of advice:

1) Determine your offense/defense sim ratings for each team first. You can use these as a guide when you make your player ratings. For example, I gave the 85 Bears the highest defensive sim value (15) in my rom. When I was making my player ratings, I made sure that their defensive ratings as a unit were higher than the rest. Sounds elementary, but I had to do a complete analysis of ratings in my rom before I realized how poor a job I had done (for example, I made the 2004 Eagles defense one of the best in the game without knowing it).

2) Simulate a lot of seasons to get a feel for how it plays out. In a league of all-time greats, you should have a lot of teams between 7-9 and 9-7 records. This will also help you identify which players have sim values that are out of whack.

3) I wanted my game to play as close to the original as possible, so I looked for trends in the player ratings from the original game. For example, I noticed that for defensive players RS

4) Get a second opinion. When I thought I was done, I had a friend play a few games. He let me know of a few things that didn't seem right, which I was able to fix easily.

If you have any other questions, I'll try and answer.

Thanks for the tips.

I've done this kind of thing before (not with this game), and have found the 7-9 thru 9-7 for most every team is what to expect in a champions league like this. You may have a team that goes 11-5 or so (like 85 Chicago for example), but most everyone else does seen to finish with an 8-8 average.

Thanks for the tips.

Can you upload your text data file so I can check it out?

Post a reply in the TSBTool thread and upload your text file.

Bad Al:

I appreciate your help. I did get it to work.

I'm making adjustments to race for all players now (even trying to assign pictures that half way resemble what the players actually looked like versus just Black or White if I can).

Bad Al:

I'm making adjustments to race for all players now (even trying to assign pictures that half way resemble what the players actually looked like versus just Black or White if I can).

Ok that's good. Do you know what the problem was?

To upload a file in the upload section you need to zip it up first.

Then click reply to the post.

There should be an 'Add an attachment' section directly under the 'Post a reply' section.

The 'Add an attachment' portion is only aailable in the upload section.

Bad Al:

Ok that's good. Do you know what the problem was?

To upload a file in the upload section you need to zip it up first.

Then click reply to the post.

There should be an 'Add an attachment' section directly under the 'Post a reply' section.

The 'Add an attachment' portion is only aailable in the upload section.

Yeah, I know what the problem was. I wasn't able to see anything because it was read only file ???!!!!

Anyway, I can see the info now.

I'm busy now putting in race for all the players.

Thanks again.

Ok gang, here is the deal.

I need to enter in races for teams from 1966-1978 (I have entered in all of the others already). I may finish tomorrow or Wednesday.

I will then enter in the kick and punt returnes, and then....

abandon this project, or sit on it for a good while... I'm hoping someone experienced in all of this can take the torch from my hand and continue the project.

I have so much work to do on other things, I don't know when I can get back to the project.

Is anyone willing to continue where I leave off?

You will need to enter in playbooks, ratings, and logos for each team. All of the other data entry is going to be done.

Someone get back to me on this.

I'd hate to abandon this project.

Thanks.

P.S. We can release it as a joint project with both (or all, if there are others) our names attached to it .

I do ask the project be called "Super Tecmo Bowl: Champions Edition"

Thanks!

I've been doing research on overall offensive and defensive ratings for each team. I took points scored to give me a number for ranking overall offensive power (the more points scored, the higher the ranking), and points allowed for overall defensive power (the lower the points allowed, the higher the ranking). So that each team is on the same scale, I added 2/16 of the given number for teams that only played a 14 week season, so that it would equal 16 games, and I did the same kind of equation for the strike season teams.

Here is the order of overall offense and defense. Some results make sense. Others are actualy very surprising.

Team name Offensive rating Defensive rating

1966 Packers 20 3

1968 Jets 4 26

1969 Chiefs 14 8

1970 Colts 23 20

1972 Dolphins 10 4

1975 Steelers 13 2

1976 Raiders 17 21

1977 Cowboys 18 14

1978 Steelers 24 5

1982 Redskins 26 12

1983 Raiders 9 27

1984 49ers 5 11

1985 Bears 6 7

1986 Giants 22 13

1987 Redskins 16 24

1989 49ers 8 17

1990 Giants 27 10

1991 Redskins 21 23

1992 Cowboys 15 16

1994 49ers 2 22

1996 Packers 7 9

1998 Broncos 3 25

1999 Rams 1 15

2000 Ravens 28 1

2002 Buccaneers 25 6

2004 Patriots 11 19

2005 Steelers 19 18

2006 Colts 12 28

The 2000 Ravens have the best defense with this scale, but the worst offense. Found that to be funny.

Anyone want to chime in on this?

how about factoring yardage & points and averaging those to scale for O and D?

Also, you might want to look into the actual ranking (O and D) for the particular season of the team (as compared to other teams that year).

just some basic ideas...obviously there's no need to go all out, but maybe factor yardage ranking in too, and then scale.

I like to use individual performance to rate offensive players. So for a Super Bowl rom, the RBs with the highest MS should be those with a 2000 yard season. The best WRs would have 90+ catches. The only thing I really do a team rating on for offense is OL. I factor in total points, total rushing yards, and sacks allowed.

Defense I do a team rating, then rate the star players higher, depending on just how good the star players were on an individual level. This is a little more subjective. For example, I would make guys like Ronnie Lott and Rod Woodson among the best on any rom, regardless of any stats for any given season.

If you just want someone to take over your rom, try this site if you haven't already done so: http://www.tecmobowl.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8857

You need to be careful with star players since a couple is all it takes to make a really good defense.

I like to use individual performance to rate offensive players. So for a Super Bowl rom, the RBs with the highest MS should be those with a 2000 yard season. The best WRs would have 90+ catches. The only thing I really do a team rating on for offense is OL. I factor in total points, total rushing yards, and sacks allowed.

Defense I do a team rating, then rate the star players higher, depending on just how good the star players were on an individual level. This is a little more subjective. For example, I would make guys like Ronnie Lott and Rod Woodson among the best on any rom, regardless of any stats for any given season.

If you want to post your data only, you can do that with TSBTool.

Just open the ROM, select view contents, then copy the team definitions and paste them.

you will get something like the following:

========================================================

TEAM = bills SimData=0xab0, OFFENSIVE_FORMATION = 2RB_2WR_1TE

PLAYBOOK R1215, P7131

QB1, qb BILLS, Face=0x52, #0, 25, 69, 13, 13, 56, 81, 81, 81 ,[3, 12, 3 ]

QB2, frank REICH, Face=0x22, #14, 25, 69, 13, 13, 31, 44, 25, 50 ,[3, 3, 2 ]

RB1, thurman THOMAS, Face=0x83, #34, 38, 69, 63, 25, 75, 50 ,[10, 7, 8, 8 ]

RB2, jamie MUELLER, Face=0x51, #41, 44, 69, 25, 88, 50, 25 ,[5, 3, 6, 2 ]

RB3, kenneth DAVIS, Face=0xa5, #23, 38, 69, 25, 19, 50, 31 ,[5, 2, 7, 2 ]

RB4, don SMITH, Face=0x8b, #30, 38, 69, 25, 19, 50, 31 ,[3, 3, 8, 2 ]

WR1, james LOFTON, Face=0x81, #80, 25, 69, 38, 13, 50, 56 ,[1, 8, 13, 6 ]

WR2, andre REED, Face=0xb6, #83, 25, 69, 56, 13, 56, 69 ,[1, 9, 10, 10 ]

WR3, don BEEBE, Face=0x40, #82, 25, 69, 44, 13, 50, 44 ,[1, 4, 13, 2 ]

WR4, al EDWARDS, Face=0x9a, #85, 25, 69, 19, 13, 50, 44 ,[1, 4, 7, 2 ]

TE1, keith MCKELLER, Face=0xb7, #84, 25, 69, 38, 50, 50, 50 ,[1, 6, 7, 6 ]

TE2, pete METZELAARS, Face=0x50, #88, 25, 69, 19, 44, 50, 31 ,[1, 3, 5, 2 ]

C, kent HULL, Face=0x1e, #67, 25, 69, 38, 69

LG, jim RITCHER, Face=0x7, #51, 25, 69, 38, 56

RG, john DAVIS, Face=0x24, #65, 25, 69, 25, 63

LT, will WOLFORD, Face=0x48, #69, 25, 69, 25, 50

RT, howard BALLARD, Face=0x88, #75, 25, 69, 19, 63

RE, bruce SMITH, Face=0x88, #78, 44, 56, 69, 75, 25, 81 ,[116, 7 ]

NT, jeff WRIGHT, Face=0xb, #91, 25, 31, 31, 50, 19, 19 ,[30, 7 ]

LE, leon SEALS, Face=0xac, #96, 25, 31, 38, 44, 31, 50 ,[25, 18 ]

ROLB, darryl TALLEY, Face=0xad, #56, 31, 44, 50, 38, 44, 63 ,[25, 25 ]

RILB, ray BENTLEY, Face=0x30, #50, 25, 31, 38, 38, 31, 56 ,[13, 10 ]

LILB, shane CONLAN, Face=0x2f, #58, 31, 44, 50, 56, 19, 69 ,[13, 13 ]

LOLB, c. BENNETT, Face=0x82, #97, 38, 50, 63, 63, 19, 69 ,[29, 7 ]

RCB, nate ODOMES, Face=0xc3, #37, 38, 44, 56, 38, 38, 56 ,[0, 25 ]

LCB, kirby JACKSON, Face=0x89, #47, 25, 31, 44, 38, 50, 50 ,[0, 64 ]

FS, mark KELSO, Face=0x26, #38, 31, 38, 50, 38, 44, 44 ,[2, 39 ]

SS, leonard SMITH, Face=0x84, #46, 31, 38, 50, 44, 44, 50 ,[2, 40 ]

K, scott NORWOOD, Face=0x29, #11, 56, 81, 81, 31, 44, 44 ,[6 ]

P, rick TUTEN, Face=0x20, #10, 25, 56, 44, 31, 19, 63 ,[3 ]

KR, RB4

PR, WR4

========================================================

The punt returner and kick returner are the last 2 lines of the team definition.

bad al:

I appreciate all your efforts. My point is that i can't call up the data file ive created in tsbtool and view it.

I can only do it with the rom.

All I want to do is adjust is the kr and pr and i am done on my end.

please advise.

or, must i merge my data file into the rom first before viewing it? if so, what do i do to merge the data file into the rom?

thanks again

bad al:

I appreciate all your efforts. My point is that i can't call up the data file ive created in tsbtool and view it.

I can only do it with the rom.

All I want to do is adjust is the kr and pr and i am done on my end.

please advise.

or, must i merge my data file into the rom first before viewing it? if so, what do i do to merge the data file into the rom?

thanks again

I'm not really sure what you mean.

Do you mean that you have all the data specified in text format?

If so, you can just add the KR and PR lines at the end of the team definition.

The lines:

"KR, RB4"

"PR, RB4"

Will make the #4 rb the kick and punt returner.

If you mean that you have a ROM with all the data i it, then you should be able to open it up with TSBTool and view the contents.