Tecmo Throwback released on Xbox Apr 28th, PSN TBD

Knobbe

I struggle with the missing NFL players but you've made me change my views. I think WE should learn to love the fake players. Granted, we know who they really are which may make this difficult if not impossible for some.

When you think about it, Bo Jackson was a fake player in TSB. He didn't play a down of football in 1991. It wasn't the name Bo Jackson that made him such a memorable videogame athlete, it was the fact that he was so crazy good in the game. Had the player been named Tecmo Jo instead, I think we'd still remember him just as much. But, yeah, it will be impossible for those of us who remember those 1993 players to separate them from their Throwback aliases.

One thing that I would do if I was project manager of a new unlicensed TSB game would be to create a random roster generator. I'd do some detailed statistical analysis of that 1991 roster, and then create a roster generator that creates players based upon the probabilities gleaned from that analysis. I'd put together a database of maybe 500 cities from all 50 states, a bunch of uniform color combinations and logos, and team names, and then the users would have the ability to create a whole new roster every time they started a new season. How fun would it be to have no idea who the great players and teams are?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing that I would do if I was project manager of a new unlicensed TSB game would be to create a random roster generator. I'd do some detailed statistical analysis of that 1991 roster, and then create a roster generator that creates players based upon the probabilities gleaned from that analysis. I'd put together a database of maybe 500 cities from all 50 states, a bunch of uniform color combinations and logos, and team names, and then the users would have the ability to create a whole new roster every time they started a new season. How fun would it be to have no idea who the great players and teams are?

Dude, first of all, awesome idea. Totally fun. Second of all, forget getting together a team of developers; you could do this with an Excel spreadsheet with a talented enough Excel person. For christ's sake, somebody's gotta have a wife around here who rocks the excel world. :roll:

I did this with the TSBL, I just didn't change the players names. They were made up of randomized rosters from the original game. I agree that this is a cool idea, and a moderately easy php script could take care of this.

BTW MGK, RBI had the MLBPA license. That's a lot of abbreviations!

[ Post made on a Tecmo Super Mobile Device!] mobile.png

BTW MGK, RBI had the MLBPA license. That's a lot of abbreviations!

:roll: Totally. You just schooled me and I loved it. My secret of never having played too much RBI Baseball has been unleashed. I was never a huge baseball fan, to be honest. I did enjoy a few modern era games. There was one for the Genesis that I loved. And MLB 2005 is still my favorite baseball game of all-time--particularly with the custom roster hacks for the PC version they've made.

just a thought, that we could have online leagues*, if we get enough people with xbox live gamertags and we create a forum for it. I'm sure we can find honest people, so we do not have to constantly put up with assholes quitting every quarter. And it would stop the lurching to.... I think this can only be a positive game, as i'm sure the have patches later or an "improved" version of this moderate piss of crap.....

we would have to stick with the original teams, but still could have some what of a one year league each year, i could make a draft order to select teams, i mean its possible.... obviously not a full blown thing but still. my gamertag is ochocinco1692 anyone have bad company 2 as that game is fucking awesome.

Bottom line.

Tecmo Throwback Development cost = X

Number of copies purchased = y

If 10y - X > 0 then another Tecmo gets made. It's a simple as that.

An entire team/company of workers, logging in let's say 1/2 a year's times (gross under-estimate), annual salaries, benefits, overtime, etc, etc, etc is a little more complicated than "X". And, at $10.00 a download, good luck breaking even let alone getting "10y". Again, I'm not a pessimist, just a realist. Matt, don't you work in the industry?! You know what I'm talking about. It also seems that making money isn't enough anymore as you've got to make a franchise like Halo, or Madden, or COD or the company folds. Actually, EA buys them when that happens but let's not go there. :roll: I think what I'm trying to say, not very well obviously, is let's just enjoy this ultra rare occurrence of a Tecmo Football game release that happens a little more often than Haley's Comet and let's not start pine'ing over the next release. Smell the roses people!

While the computation of the factors of X may be complicated, it is that simple.

Actually, now that I think about it, I forgot to factor in that Tecmo probably only gets a percentage of the download fund.

So it'd be (10y)z -X > 0 where z = Tecmo's percentage of the price.

Tecmo hired a company to redux the game.

They paid them a certain price.

I can only assume that the actual Profit/Loss of this game should be relatively easy to compute.

I can also only assume that they will use this to determine what their next step will be.

Rod, maybe instead of a gamertag thread or sticky post at the top of the Throwback section, we could have another section added to our profile for our XBL Gamertag? It has ICQ, AOL, MSN, Yahoo, Jabber, Website, so why not add XBL, PS3, and even Wii there too? I was a regular at Utopia/NCAA Strategies for a long time and they do it that way. It's nice and simple for us but don't know if that would be possible on your end.

I'm working on this, it's proving to be a bit complex so it's taking time.

In the meantime, i've set up a gamertag thread

I'm working on this, it's proving to be a bit complex so it's taking time. In the meantime, i've set up a gamertag thread

You rock! Maybe the XBL gamertag could replace the Jabber or other ones no one really uses. Considering the XBL tag may become the most used in time?! Whatever, thanks!

MGK wrote=":lol: Totally. You just schooled me and I loved it. My secret of never having played too much RBI Baseball has been unleashed. I was never a huge baseball fan, to be honest. I did enjoy a few modern era games. There was one for the Genesis that I loved. And MLB 2005 is still my favorite baseball game of all-time--particularly with the custom roster hacks for the PC version they've made.

Was it Triple Play Gold or was it unlicensed. (Hardball was a good unlicensed one from about 90's)

I have mvp 2005 for pc, and by the way i am sending alot of new traffic here thru tecmo bowl throwback ppl dont know this site even exists! And that they can play tecmo online for free from their pc......

thumbs up! Definitely has been a spike in traffic the last 3 days!

where is the ps3 version :roll: was hoping it would be out by this weekend... any news?

"Should be coming soon!" According to Tecmo's Twitter account. Doesn't that just fill you with a warm fuzzy feeling? Meanwhile, they're already working on fixes for the 360 version.