Birmingham, AL - 4/20/2013 - MAGIC CITY MELTDOWN I

Had a great turnout for the Magic City Meltdown SETA Open .. 18 Rookies enter the 24 person field 3 make the Final Four and Cricket who is Seth Silverblatts understudy wins !!!! Takes down SuicideKing in a well played game ... Lots of folks pulling for SKing ... Solid Tecmo player and a great guy

It was a great turnout for the 1st ever Magic City Meltdown. There were plenty of meltdowns from Bryant Laney getting more trashed than anyone and telling some of the worst Tecmo jokes ever. Special thanks to Trent Tracker and his crew for bringing the equipment and helping me getting the tourney together. Luke did an excellent job of running the tournament, as well. A little chaotic at 1st, but things settled down quickly.

Notable Games that I witnessed.

Elite 8:

Me(Mia) vs (KC)Suicide King

Mia goes up 14-7 at halftime and is receiving the ball to start 2nd half. Sammie Smith Oatmeal Stout takes the run up the sidelines for about 30 yards and before he can get out of bounds... FUMBLE... KC ties it up quickly. We go back and forth trading turnovers until Miami drives it down to around the 30 yard line with 1 second on the clock. Pete Stoyanovich misses off the left up-right.. OT, Miami receives the ball first and quickly hits Duper deep, but KC catches him around the 25. After trying to get a 1st down, Pete enters the game again and Derrick Thomas has none of it and blocks the game winning fg. Okoye finally breaks one to the 50 and then DeBerg goes deep to Paige on the JJ up top to seal the deal. It was an instant classic and something that I learned from this game is you have to be aggressive towards the end. Some minor detailed mistakes and playing soft cost me.

Final 4:

Odey(Dallas) vs Suicide King(DET)

Back and forth game. Detroit dominates the game in yardage, but Dallas had a huge fumble recovery for a TD. I didn't catch much of the game, because I was sulking in my 1st ever tourney defeat. I walk in towards the end and Suicide King is down 17-14 with 20 seconds to go on his on 15 yard line. Rodney drops back for your typical Hail Mary and Odey uses Ken Norton and makes a rookie mistake and does not blitz or get back in coverage and he called the QB sneak... What was he thinking??? Gets caught in the middle and Rodney times it just right and hits Robert Clark for the JJ Hail Mary to win the game and make it to the finals. It was just another Meltdown by Odey and an epic play by Sking. Def the highlight of the tournament.

Championship Game:

SKing(Wash) vs Cricket(Minny)

Cricket dominated throughout the whole tourney and the scheduling worked out perfect for him as he really didn't play anyone until the finals. Cricket wins the coin toss and chooses to kickoff and already has a meltdown by pressing B before it goes to the next screen and all the sudden cricket is receiving the ball. Crkt pounds Herschel to go up 7-0. SKing ties it up in the 2nd and Crkt kicks a fg to go up 10-7 at halftime. Sking has a nice opening 2nd half drive to go up 14-10 in the 3rd Qtr. Crkt answers with a nice 80 yard drive mainly dominated by Walker's ground game. Turning point in the game 4th and about 3 for SKing on his on 30 yard line with 3 and some change to go goes for it and gets stuffed by Kevin Millard, who had a heck of a game. Crkt takes adavantage and goes up 24-14 to pretty much seal the deal. Sking scores quickly to make it 24-21 on the ensuing drive and misses with an onside kick. Crkt smartly drops back with 20 seconds left and kneels out of bounds for the victory and takes home the title.

I am looking forward to playing in 1 more AL tourney in June, before I make it up to Cincy for the Midwest Tourney. Anxious to see what kind of game these midwest bros have.

5Njv5Sq6LDzeNB3tOU1-bIRQm0kUzC7unA4HUW0p

V4Pky-U0E2zy7zQa2xt89Do-OmVqpHf3q7ufeHTI

Edited by Rabbi Shmuley

Great write up Seth!!! Thanks to all the guys who made the Magic City Meltdown as awesome as it was. Seth picked a perfect venue for such an event and everyone was awesome thoughout the tournament. Drove 6.5 hrs to get there and would have drove alot farther with it being as great an experience as it was. Great job Seth, Trent Tracker and crew

post-10687-0-32133000-1366759427_thumb.j

post-10687-0-01760400-1366759477_thumb.j

post-10687-0-60768000-1366759567_thumb.j

post-10687-0-81808100-1366759992_thumb.j

post-10687-0-85183000-1366760093_thumb.j

post-10687-0-09178100-1366760141_thumb.j

Edited by suicideking81

Yes it was a great time ... I'm ready to get my game together and give the Athens Open a run ... tired of dominating Group Play and losing in first round of tournament ... I caught some bad breaks with Trippe who made the final four and even some worse breaks against Burns in February ... but Ive got to be good enough to over come these fumbles and JJ's (so does Julz).... Me and Julz must do a better job appeasing the Tecmo Gods ... I'm just glad Trippe and Burns didn't pull these unlikely upset for not .. both made Final Fours ... So ready for Athens !!!! Also southeasterntecmo.org coming within the next few months .. complete with tournament news and player rankings