New Mini Helmets Logos

If people are also interested in revisiting the small helmets for the base rom, here is stuff I've worked up over the last few years.  I did not really restrict myself on colors at all (colors are 90% true to the actual teams' colors).

Anyone can feel free to use this as reference.  I added the little white thingy on the back of all the helmets.  Some had them and I felt the desire to do it to all of them, but I don't know that it "works."

Cheers.

post-7137-0-79903100-1362498097_thumb.pn

post-7137-0-87083200-1362498104_thumb.pn

It's cool. In case the other thread gets deleted, I've got the image you posted and I'll see how many of them I can get in the rom. I only see a few where the colors and sizes are off.

And as for the white pad at the back of the helmet, it's probably best to keep them off being that the large helmets don't have them either.

Give credit to AdamB for that one.  The idea came from his design, I just tweaked it a little.

I'll take the credit if you're willing to give it to me. ;)  I like your design, too.  New England is one I've always come back to to play around.  I've come up with three or four different designs and always just slightly lean toward one, but I think a few designs work well.

Blast the palette limitations!  Blast!

Of all the helmets I've played around with my favorites are the Ravens, the Titans, but mostly the Texans.  I played around with that for probably an hour (off and on), just moving pixels around.  Finally I moved a pixel or two and had an absolute eureka! moment.  I was finally satisfied.  It's hands down my favorite.

They are certainly a challenge to design.  I always go back and play around to find things I've inevitably missed.

Edited by AdamB5000

Man, these helmets are a pain in the butt to edit.

They are a complete pain in the ass.  The sharing of palettes as mentioned, plus there's limited space to work with.

Personally, I wouldn't waste much time on them.  There's really only a few that need updating from the original 32 team ROM.

NE, BAL, OAK, DEN, CAR, TB could use touch ups (some have already been addressed).

SD doesn't need it, but I like the one posted above.

JAX & MIA to reflect the new logos (someone updated JAX already).

SF didn't need it, but I posted one above anyways. 

I've tried a few times to updated GB, but can't seem to get it right.

NE, BAL, OAK, DEN, CAR, TB could use touch ups (some have already been addressed).

Agreed. I think we've already gotten those taken care of.

SEA also needs a new helmet color. 

Did the offsets change when TSB updated to the 32-team rom? The location I found for the mini-helmet data doesn't seem to match up.

Edited by keithisgood

I always toyed around with the idea of rearranging all of the helmets, so that they don't share the same pieces parts and what not. That can be achieved I believe. As far as the palette for each design......... I wonder if the pointers could be manipulated to look at a different part of the rom for the colors????? Kind of like, the yellow FG post hack.

I always toyed around with the idea of rearranging all of the helmets, so that they don't share the same pieces parts and what not. That can be achieved I believe. As far as the palette for each design......... I wonder if the pointers could be manipulated to look at a different part of the rom for the colors????? Kind of like, the yellow FG post hack.

It'll be extremely tough but technically possible to separate each design.  The background has 2 banks totaling 256 tiles. The first bank contains numbers, letters, and misc stuff needed for various screens but has a few tiles that could be changed like the special FIRST DOWN text to just plain white.  The second bank contains the mini helmets, playoff graphics, and team control text.  Basically 32 teams * 3 helmet parts + 3 facemasks = 99 tiles of the 128 without even getting to the special tiles and playoff screen.

The colors could be selected elsewhere in the rom but there is no point since the helmets will always share the same palette and will end up being the same.

I'm definitely interested in seeing how far I get the colors and tiles of AdamB's graphics on the rom.

Jstout, i'm a bit confused: are you actively re-arranging rom locations to make mini-helmet edits simpler or just working within the limitations of the x1 rom? 

I believe as is right now, there are two extra tiles in the mini-helmet bank, the "o" and "m" beside the new jags logo. Not sure where to use them yet.

This was the absolute best I could come up for the moment.  I had all the minis near exact (excluding color shades) but went way way over the NES sprite limit so I had to whack parts of the helmets until I reached the maximum.  The rom needs some cleanup of the tiles I removed during the fixing but nothing crazy except moving some data to allow more mini helmet design room.

post-5081-0-97144100-1362780000_thumb.pn

*Edit fixed a few things in the image

Edited by jstout

If that's a legit screen grab, that's pretty tight.  Nice work.  You didn't have to compromise nearly as much as I thought.  Cheers.

If we want to start splitting hairs, those white pads I put on the back of all the little helmets could go if people feel they should.  I don't know what gave me the impulse to throw them there at the last minute.  I've since removed them all on my graphic file. (it didn't take much for keithisgood to persuade me :)

But.. awesome.

On a side note, what do you think of the small Raiders helmet?  I'm torn and I'll explain.

I'm hung up on liking the Raiders small helmet for a combination of nostalgic reasons and the fact that I've had little luck creating something with which I am happy.  However just about everything that should be updated has been (with the exception of helmets that haven't haven't changed a lick and didn't start out with a crappy looking logo).

That said, Bodom posted a nice alternative.  While that might be better than anything I've ever created for the Raiders, I'm still torn regarding whether or not to roll with an update or keep the original.  I'm just wondering how you guys feel about that.

One final note.  jstout, on the Vikings helmet, should the white horn pixels furthest to the right also be yellow?  I kind of felt it looked better that way, but I thought I'd ask.  I wasn't sure if that was an error or a design choice.  I know there are compromises with colors and probably more...

Cheers again.

Edited by AdamB5000

If that's a legit screen grab, that's pretty tight.  Nice work.  You didn't have to compromise nearly as much as I thought.  Cheers.

If we want to start splitting hairs, those white pads I put on the back of all the little helmets could go if people feel they should.  I don't know what gave me the impulse to throw them there at the last minute.  I've since removed them all on my graphic file.  

But.. awesome.

Its legit.  Its on the old 34 and 43 defense 32 team rom so nothing else is updated but the minis.  But anyone can pull the data the data from this (x22854-x22886 and x7A010-x7A0B7 was changed to allow me some more editing room) to update a newer one.  I don't know what everyone is currently using or I'd update one myself.

TSB32_2D.nes

One final note.  jstout, on the Vikings helmet, should the white horn pixels furthest to the right also be yellow?  I kind of felt it looked better that way, but I thought I'd ask.  I wasn't sure if that was an error or a design choice.

Its a typo I made so let me edit it and I'll post the fix on the rom in this post. *Rom Fixed now and I put Botom's Raider on so you can view the difference

Edited by jstout

Its legit.  Its on the old 34 and 43 defense 32 team rom so nothing else is updated but the minis.  But anyone can pull the data the data from this (x22854-x22886 and x7A010-x7A0B7 was changed to allow me some more editing room) to update a newer one.  I don't know what everyone is currently using or I'd update one myself.

attachicon.gifTSB32_2D.nes

Keith can point you to the updated ROM base we've been working with. OR, he can extract what you've done and place it into the working ROM file. Either way, I love the work everyone has been putting toward this. If CX_ROM can create some finality eventually to his updated 32-team ROM project, we have a great new base to pull these updates from. Awesome stuff.

I've tried to implement the changes onto the tsb org x1 rom and it kills the team select screen. Is there somewhere else in the x1 rom I should be pasting the new code?

Outside of the helmets, change all these (The x7A010 changes can go anywhere there is room if you update all the pointers and jmps in the code):

x2025C-x2025F (Pointer to data)

x22B5F-x22B62 (Pointer to data)

x1FFC1-x1FFCB (Text)

x22854-x22886 (Code to get moved data)

x7A010-x7A0B7 (Original code and moved data)

If you have issues then you can get me a link to the rom and I can do it.