Operation Speed-up (11/7/2012)

Knobbe

1nycY.operation.speedup.tecmobowl.jpg

All,

The merger between Puretecmo.com and Tecmobowl.org has caused some issues in terms of speed and navigation.

The site isn't as punchy as it has been.

If you're not in leagues it's harder to keep track of non-league posts. Also, the board has a LOT of options and it's a bit of a learning curve.

Starting immediately these will be my focuses for the site.

• Speeding up the response time of the site
  • Putting together some tutorial/help sections together
  • Further integrating the sites

One thing this will mean is that no new features will be added to the site during this time. In fact, some features may be stripped down in the immediate future.

I'll try to keep you up to date as I go along but don't hesitate to contact me with your thoughts.

The best, in this order, would be

Knobbe

As I think I've already seen the CDN cloudflare that I was using to take some of the load off the server was in fact also bottlenecking the site.

Basically, the medicine was making the site sicker than the disease.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, I've implemented a better version of search on the site.

Basically, it will bring back more results faster while not slowing down the site.

If you have problems searching, please let me know.

I think I have search working well. If you're trying to search for something and have problems, let me know.

The cache refreshes every 15 minutes so any very recent posts will not be excluded in a search.

Found out that the database wasn't being optimized daily like it was supposed to be. This was causing the site to load slow with no one even around and causing me to go into mega-Thanksgiving rage. Immediately afterwards site is zippy once again.

• 2 weeks later...

Its been pretty bad today for me. Once it got over its dump around 30 minutes ago, its working very fast, but i was getting nothing before.

If you weren't seeing the message about the new server at the top, you were probably hitting the old server.

The old server was a mess yesterday so that's no surprise.

• 2 weeks later...

is it me or are 99% of recent topics and posts just random "league chatter"?

I am having a hard time finding anything worth reading around here. is there a way to *avoid* any "league" topics or posts from being displayed when I log in? there is just too much garbage all over the place it seems.