Three Links - Deep Ellum, TX
2704 Elm St, Dallas, Texas 75226
SATURDAY FEBRUARY 6 - 11:00 AM AT THREE LINKS
PLAYERS - BE SURE TO ARRIVE PROMPTLY AT 11:30 AM FOR CHECK-IN!! (thank you)
WE ARE ON A SCHEDULE, GAMES WILL START AT NOON.
Plenty of parking on Main Street or any of the Elm St. and Main St. connecting streets. One of those, Crowdus is really close to Three Links. Also, Three Links is right next door to Fuzzy's Tacos which comes in handy for such a long event.
TECMO TEXAS has a soft maximum 32-player tournament, meaning we will be prepared to handle a tournament of that size field. If demand leading up to the event exceeds this number, we will accomodate a larger crowd, but at the moment the tournament will be designed for 32 contestants. We reserve the right to modify the format of the tournament depending on factors such as no-shows, contestants leaving early, etc. Any modifications that are made will be made with absolute fairness in mind. All contestants will definitely be guaranteed at least two games before they can be eliminated.
A few essentials:
**$20 non-refundable entry fee if paid before the day of the event via PayPal (send fee to [email protected]
). PayPal is your only way to guarantee entry into the tournament. If any spots are open day of show, the entry fee will be $25 for anyone entering the tournament that day.
So pre-pay via PayPal to lock your spot and save $5.
**Every contestant guaranteed at least two games prior to elimination.
**Top 8 places will pay out prize money and 100% of entry money will go towards these prizes (minus paypal transaction fees that usually equals around $10 total)
IF WE HAVE A FULL 32-CONTESTANT FIELD, that would leave the following prizes:
1st place - $240
2nd place - $150
3rd place - $100
4th place - $60
5th place through 8th place - $20 each
RULES, MOSTLY TAKEN FROM THE EXPERTS THAT RUN THE GREAT TECMO MADISON TOURNAMENT:
1. Team Selection & Coin Toss: A manual coin-flip will precede each game. The coin-flip winner will choose the matchup (i.e. the two NFL teams). The coin-flip loser then selects either (a) one of the two teams or (b) his preferred controller (left or right direction on screen). If the coin-flip loser selects his preferred controller, the coin-flip winner selects a team first.
2. Customizing Playbooks and Lineup Changes: Customizing playbooks is permissible. You can access your “change” screen (screen where you check player conditions and make substitutions) only twice per half. This helps speed up the games.
3. No Ties/Overtime: No game can end in a tie. If a game is tied when regulation concludes, competitors will proceed to OT. If no one scores in the first OT, a new game will begin and the first competitor to score will be declared the winner. So that one competitor does not start with the ball in each OT period, the kicking team in the first OT will be the receiving team in the new game (i.e. the second OT).
4. Lurching: Lurching is prohibited. If you want to rush with a DL, you must either go outside the offensive tackle or “popcorn” someone on the offensive line. You cannot simply go around your blocker and dive. Note that this rule does not apply to LBs.
5. Nintendo Malfunctions: If there is an equipment failure in the first half, games will be replayed from the start. If equipment malfunctions in the 2nd half, only the second half is replayed. In that event, the scores from each half are added together to obtain a final score. If the game was uncompetitive or the equipment malfunctioned due to human error (like wildly yanking on the controller in the heat of a Tecmo moment), the tourney organizers reserve the right to declare a winner without replaying any portion of the game.
6. Tournament Disputes: Brett Strawn, Chris Derow and Chris McDonald are the tournament referees. They will decide all disputes unless one of them is a player in the game.
7. Controllers: Tournament competitors are not allowed to bring their own controller to use in games. Tournament organizers will coordinate obtaining equipment for the competition.
FORMAT (subject to slight modifications based on field size):
With a 32-contestant field, there will be four 8-player double-elimination brackets. The top 2 finishers in each of the four brackets will advance to a SINGLE-ELIMINATION Final 8.
The FINAL 8 will be seeded, with the standard 1 vs 8, 4 vs 5, 3 vs 6, 2 vs 7 bracket format. Seeding determined by the following criteria:
1st factor - Winning % (there will be four 3-0 players in the Final 8, who will make up the top 4 seeds.
2nd factor - Point differential per game (so feel free to run up the score on your friends, whether they be new friends or old friends)
3rd factor - Points scored
4th factor - Highest scoring game
5th - coin flip
THIS HAS TRADITIONALLY BEEN AN APPROXIMATELY 7 HOUR EVENT. WE WILL TRY OUR BEST TO KEEP THINGS RUNNING SMOOTHLY AND WRAP THINGS UP COMPLETELY BEFORE 7 PM.
GOOD LUCK, AND THANK YOU FOR PARTICIPATING IN THE THIRD ANNUAL TECMO TEXAS TOURNAMENT!