Rankings-Combining USA and Japan versions

Tecmo-Mad-Brad

These are overall team rankings of the original Tecmo Bowl from the USA 1989 version, combined with the 1990 Japan only famicom version.

Many people are unaware of the 1990 version which had all the same teams/features, but offered roster upgrades since it came out a year later.  These roster updates had some players faster/stronger for instance or introduced some new players.  These updates inevitably made some teams better or worse...and some stayed about the same.

A couple points here....These rankings are based off 2 player mode with both players possessing similar skills, and all teams with all their original playbooks.  

Its also based off the game play rules we use

1.  No gaining yards when the defense picks the offense's play.

2.  No throwing to covered WR'TE while they slant or curl

3.  1 QB run per qtr

4.  No QB running on 4th down

5.  LB position only may attempt to block field goals

6.  Any defender may try to block extra points

playbookrankingsreg_zpsdda3ab27.png

Team Notes for group 1-8:

-Japan SF is far better than the USA version, and its not even close

-Japan Giants really only have LT on defense as an option, and no longer have speedy Mark Bavaro.  This team relies on LT to make stops, and Landeta to give them field position.

-USA Colts have Eric Dickerson

Team Notes for group 9-16:

Batch of good capable teams

Teams such as DEN/SEA have great defensive stars that can keep them in games

Dolphins Reggie Roby helps immensely with field position

Vikings despite playbook limitation still have a slew of talented players to put them in the 2nd tier

Team Notes for group 17-24:

All these teams struggle due in large part to a major weakness on their team.  

Edited by Tecmo-Mad-Brad

These rankings feature MIN/WSH not having the dreaded WR run play, which is very easy to defend.  It also has the blocking scheme error for the Raiders fixed.

Considering this is the version (ROM) we are going to use going forward, I'll post heavy analysis for these teams.

playbookrankingsfix_zps5d1c305c.png

Team Notes 1-8:

-49ers Japan:  Hands down the best team in all of Tecmo Bowl.  Rice is faster on the Japan version, and given a great complimentary top WR in Taylor who is very fast.  Roger Craig is now faster.  Offensively this team is crazy fast.  More weapons on defense as well.  Just too much firepower to not be ranked a decisive #1.  

-Giants USA:  Best defender in all of Tecmo Bowl.  Great supporting cast on D.  Landeta is the field position machine.

-49ers USA:  All the usual superstars are here.  Great playbook.  Lott and a very dominant Michael Carter.

-Bears USA:  Great kick returner with Gentry, Payton, and a decent playbook.  Star studded defense.  Great kicker as well who can hit from deep.

-Giants Japan: Carl Banks and Leonard Marshall are really slow players on this version, so LT has to do more.  No Bavaro here, so the offense really bogs down.  The plus is that Landeta still booms long punts and Dave Meggett is the kick returner and he is really fast. 

-Bears Japan:  Neal Anderson is an equal swap for Payton.  Defense is a smidge slower, but still really good.  Gentry is out as the kick returner, so they now lack in that department, but still a very solid team.

-Colts USA:  Great playbook,  Eric Dickerson busting heads, and Stark's massive punts.  Duane Bickett blocks kicks from the 30 and out further.  Biasucci can hit from deep.  They do the little things as well as anyone in the game, despite not being loaded with superstars.  Field position and not giving up cheap FG's makes them legit.   

-Vikings Japan:  Possibly from top bottom one of the most talented teams in the game.  Crazy fast defense with 3 elite guys from different positions.  Blazers at WR/TE and Herschel Walker is pretty good.  Really lacking in the punting game which puts them in a field position bind.  Nice passing playbook. 

More to come..... 

Team Notes 9-16:

-USA Redskins/USA Vikings become legit 2nd tier squads.  Skins defense couple with punting and working playbook really puts them on the edge of an elite team.

Team Notes:  17-24:

The inclusion of MIN/WSH into Tier 2 really bolsters Tier 3

-Japan SEA and USA MIA now become the clear cut best teams in Tier 3.  

Edited by Tecmo-Mad-Brad

• 4 years later...

How would your rankings change (or not) with the latest ROM meat posted.  In the version Washington and Minnesota's reverses are replaced with regular runs, Bo's run blocking is fixed and the Pat beach play is covered.

I still say that NY Japan is not a top tier team especially with a less effective Leonard Marshall and Carl Banks and no Bavaro. Just my opinion though.

How would your rankings change (or not) with the latest ROM meat posted.  In the version Washington and Minnesota's reverses are replaced with regular runs, Bo's run blocking is fixed and the Pat beach play is covered.

I still say that NY Japan is not a top tier team especially with a less effective Leonard Marshall and Carl Banks and no Bavaro. Just my opinion though.

I don't have enough experience with the Japan version to say how those teams would rank but on the US version with fixed WSH/MIN/LA I'd probably rank the teams like this:

1. NYG, 2. SF, 3. CHI, 4. LA, 5. WSH, 6. MIN, 7. CLE, 8. IND, 9. DEN, 10. SEA, 11. MIA, 12. DAL

i agree.i think there middle tier now.Which is a bigger lost,,weak Banks or no Bavaro??

Those are very credible points, but LT is still LT at one of the most key position.  Terry Kinard isn't elite but he's one of the better DBs in Japan Tecmo...and allows you to run some effective bunk bed defense(bottom DB and call top run).  He gives the Giants a little added versatility in the schemes they can run.  Doesn;t make up for Banks and Marshall but he's a decent option.  Landeta is still one of the better punters in Tecmo.  Dave Meggett is an elite kick returner...and for what its worth has been one of the most clutch players in the 250+ games of Japan Tecmo we've played. He's been a beast in some big games.     

Simms is a little better passer and OJ Anderson/Joe Mo are basically a push.  Giants WRs are more pedestrian without Bavaro, but Bavaro's money play (out route) still translates decent enough with slow footed Zeke Mowatt.  See the Colts offense with similar slow personnel.  

I don't have enough experience with the Japan version to say how those teams would rank but on the US version with fixed WSH/MIN/LA I'd probably rank the teams like this:

1. NYG, 2. SF, 3. CHI, 4. LA, 5. WSH, 6. MIN, 7. CLE, 8. IND, 9. DEN, 10. SEA, 11. MIA, 12. DAL

I would have to do a little research to see just what LInebacker protect schemes works vs the new playbooks, but just off the cuff....

On fixed USA I would have to go.....

1. NYG,  2.SF,  3.CHI, 4.IND, 5. LA,  6.WSH, 7.CLE, 8.MIN, 9. DEN, 10. SEA, 11. MIA, 12 DAL 

Despite WSH/MIN being certainly better I'll give the nod to Indy as that Colts offense can be a tank against any defense.  MIN/WSH would still have weak RBs.  

I think we are still pretty in tune with stopping LA, but they are very dangerous now.  Nothing amazing on special teams, and defensive issues.

Edited by Tecmo-Mad-Brad

C'mon Brad..........(Giants~Japan).................You CAN'T forget to mention O.J. Anderson replacing Joe Morris...big difference there.

They have the same ratings, except for OJ having more power, which really only translates to playing the computer.  

• 4 weeks later...

Those are very credible points, but LT is still LT at one of the most key position.  Terry Kinard isn't elite but he's one of the better DBs in Japan Tecmo...and allows you to run some effective bunk bed defense(bottom DB and call top run).  He gives the Giants a little added versatility in the schemes they can run.  Doesn;t make up for Banks and Marshall but he's a decent option.  Landeta is still one of the better punters in Tecmo.  Dave Meggett is an elite kick returner...and for what its worth has been one of the most clutch players in the 250+ games of Japan Tecmo we've played. He's been a beast in some big games.     

Simms is a little better passer and OJ Anderson/Joe Mo are basically a push.  Giants WRs are more pedestrian without Bavaro, but Bavaro's money play (out route) still translates decent enough with slow footed Zeke Mowatt.  See the Colts offense with similar slow personnel.  

Adding a little bit more to the Giants post, you can effectively use LT and a run call in his direction to eliminate big gains on 3 plays for about 5 of the teams in the game.  Thats a base defense call I like to use against IND, SEA, DEN for starters.  Those teams being middle of the pack in japan(execpt for Indy who is lower).

LT is also key in defending Miami, and either version of CLE has a slow RB, so you can be LT and sit on pass calls all game vs CLE. 

Weakened Giants defense is hurt the most against CHI and SF for sure, and those are already top tier squads.  We've played a decent amount with the fixed version of Japan LA, and I can say with great confidence they suck.  Bo is faster and stronger and that thought gets everyone's boner at full mast, but the rest of the team around him on offense is worse.  Steve Smith is not scarring anyone like Marcus Allen does.  Steve Buerline has a really weak arm and it doesn;t really translate to the playbook of LA tearung up a defense now. 

Washington's offense in Japan Tecmo is prety lack luster, and LT is the perfect defender in pass defense for MIN when you take away pass 2.  There isn;t a lot of offenses out there that will blaze through the Giants D.  Japan Indy has Bentley and he's pretty crappy.  Japan Dallas is fodder under LT's wheels. 

Never bet against LT! 

• 1 month later...

i agree.i think there middle tier now.Which is a bigger lost,,weak Banks or no Bavaro??

I sorta touched upon this in some other posts, but Banks by far is the bigger loss. Bavaro has that money out route that can be ran by slow guys just as effectively.  Thats a marginal loss, but you can do so much with Banks on defense.   

A week ago when we wrapped up that 24 team tourney and the Japan Giants made the elite 8 before losing to the Japan 49ers.  With LT looming on FG blocks as per our rules, that alone really keeps most all offenses NY faces at bay.  LT alone keeps that team afloat.  I think its safe to say they are a solid 6th though.  LT and Landeta providing the difference.  A 2 man team, but they have the 2 best players at that those positions.  They win field position all game long and LT for the most part refuses to let team score.  Eventually the offense gets some points.   

I'm going to revamp the rankings this week in the 1st couple posts, as i see a lot of this stuff is sorely out of date.

I'll make some charts showing the regular playbook rankings, and the fixed play book rankings. 

I think we may set up some double elimination competitions for each tier, to get a handle on where teams sit within their group.  And also mix in a few fringe teams to see how they perform.  Right now we're having a hard time placing USA LA, as they have looked horrible.  Unsure about where Japan MIA fits as they have some offensive weapons and might be Tier 2 material, but that tier is really stacked with solid players/teams.  

Does Japan CLE sneak into Tier 1 status?  They have a FG blocker to match the Colts, and a similar punter.  Both teams have really good passing playbooks.  CLE has more defensive manpower acorss the board, and Indy has  far superior run game.  Close to mirror images, but then dramatic strengths differences elsewhere. 

WE aleready know that Indy can hang with all the Tier 1 teams, so the next question is to find out how well Japan CLE can replicate that. 

Japan MIN seems like a Tier 1 fixture but adding CLE has to knock out Indy or MIN and I feel Indy has some edges over MIN.   

I think if the Japan Giants drop below CHI it has to be behind the USA Bears.  Gentry as KR could create havoc if he only needs to avoid LT.  The full strength Bears defense against a weak Giants offense is a bit of mismatch.  McMichael is the defender that can be effectively used against the Giants.  The USA version has the fastest McMichael. 

Japan CHI has a slower McMichael and no Gentry.  Japan Bears/Japan Giants could be a push. 

Japan Giants can really only play a bout 1 defense against either Bears offense, so thats a lot of pressure to stop them.