NES PC and PA

jstout

• 8 months later...

did you ever come to any more detailed conclusions with this, bruddog? Like the 3rd byte?

I'm trying to reduce the major overthrows on long throws...so many wide open WRs with the ball sailing 15 yards too long.

So I finally mostly figured out how the number work. Refer yourself to the byte strings listed below by jstout.

ex 06 pc @2be14 f7 34 80 80

The first byte is the chance the pass is on target. It gets compared to a random byte from 00-FF. If its less than the random byte its on target otherwise there is a chance for an underthrow/overthrow

This means

06PC= 4% chance of no underthrow/overthrow

100PC= 56% chance of being no underthrow/overthrow

Underthrow= ball goes out of bounds, stopped wr has to move to get the ball, Wr stops mid route.

Overthrow= ball potentially sails way over WR head, just enough that he can jump an catch it or dive and catch it

The second byte determines if the pass will be an underthrow or overthrow if its not ON target. If the byte is greater than the random number it will be under thrown

A 06PC will have a 20% chance of underthrowing it if the ball is off target...or a total chance of 19.6% of throwing an underthrow on any pass

A 100PC qb will have a 9% chance of underthrowing it if the ball is off target...or a total chance of 4% of throwing an underthrow on any pass.

A 06PC will have a 76.9% chance of throwing an overthrow on any pass

A 100PC qb will have a 40% chance of throwing an overthrow on any pass.

The 3rd byte has something to do with the underthrows. I'm not quite sure what it does. Perhaps the smaller the number the more catchable the underthrows tend to be.There was too much code to sort through for me to try and figure it out.

The 4th byte has to do with overthrows. And this is kind of interesting. The bytes only range from 68-80. However if you set this byte to 0. The overthrows are never overthrows. They act like normal on target passes. So by lowering this byte you could drastically reduce the number of long jj bombs or at least moreso for shitty qbs. Or you could increase the chance for underthrows. Timed jj's would still work as normal.

It's funny because after looking at this the 50-56 pc qb is probably the best for jjs since they run little risk of getting jj inted except by carrier/haddix and they will get more lob balls than a higer pc qb.

Some additional info if anyone wants to goof around with values. Each Accuracy is 4 hex numbers each is pulled and compared to a different random number depending on the situation.

# Pass Control Skills (6 is the top and 100 is the bottom)

SET(0x2be14,0xf7348080)

SET(0x2be18,0xee328080)

SET(0x2be1c,0xe5308078)

SET(0x2be20,0xdc2e8078)

SET(0x2be24,0xd32c7870)

SET(0x2be28,0xca2a7870)

SET(0x2be2c,0xc1287868)

SET(0x2be30,0xb8267868)

SET(0x2be34,0xaf247060)

SET(0x2be38,0xa6227060)

SET(0x2be3c,0x9d207058)

SET(0x2be40,0x941e7058)

SET(0x2be44,0x8b1c7050)

SET(0x2be48,0x821a7050)

SET(0x2be4c,0x79187048)

SET(0x2be50,0x70166848)

Sorry buck. I did not. I tried experimenting with the bytes but I never felt I was reaching any definitive conclusion.

You can pretty much achieve what you want with the first two bytes.

yeah, the first two should do it. do you know where 0x to change the arc of a pass?

Hey buck, scroll down the active threads and check out my KO, Punts, Fumbles thread. I believe that you can find the pass height there. Sorry I'm on my phone, or I'd post a link to get there. The location starts with the KO height, and should have the Pass, Pitches, snaps, and FG in there too. I know where they are in TSB3, but I didn't check it for the NES, but I did post the location for the NES anyways.

[ Post made on a Tecmo Super Mobile Device!] mobile.png

Hey buck, scroll down the active threads and check out my KO, Punts, Fumbles thread. I believe that you can find the pass height there. Sorry I'm on my phone, or I'd post a link to get there. The location starts with the KO height, and should have the Pass, Pitches, snaps, and FG in there too. I know where they are in TSB3, but I didn't check it for the NES, but I did post the location for the NES anyways. Or PM me and Ill shot you those locs when I get home.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=13674&p=110166

yeah, the way I see it - passing arc works like this, starting at x2CF09; PS (QB passing speed rating) is grouped in two's. both numbers work together, I've experimented a little bit and have started to figure it out, but will get deeper into later today.

3rd column is the passing speed rating, 1st and 2nd columns are the trajectory bytes for each PS group.

80	01	6-13

64 01 19-25

48 01 31-38

2C 01 44-50

10 01 56-63

F4 00 69-75

D8 00 81-88

DC 00 94-100

thanks for the tip. ;)

Hey buck, scroll down the active threads and check out my KO, Punts, Fumbles thread. I believe that you can find the pass height there. Sorry I'm on my phone, or I'd post a link to get there. The location starts with the KO height, and should have the Pass, Pitches, snaps, and FG in there too. I know where they are in TSB3, but I didn't check it for the NES, but I did post the location for the NES anyways. Or PM me and Ill shot you those locs when I get home.

2CF09? for the nes?

I have the

actual speed starting at: 2BE54

the arc is at: 2BE64

yeah, the way I see it - passing arc works like this, starting at x2CF09; PS (QB passing speed rating) is grouped in two's. both numbers work together, I've experimented a little bit and have started to figure it out, but will get deeper into later today.

3rd column is the passing speed rating, 1st and 2nd columns are the trajectory bytes for each PS group.

80	01	6-13

64 01 19-25

48 01 31-38

2C 01 44-50

10 01 56-63

F4 00 69-75

D8 00 81-88

DC 00 94-100

thanks for the tip. ;)

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=13674&p=110166

Yeah, I just got home and looked at my notes for TSB3 and realized the info I posted only assigns what tile to use for passes. (Which if I can dig into it, might be able to create spirals on passes... ;)) It does give the KO, FG, and punts its height. But what you guys are talking about is just as interesting. I'll have to see if I can find this in my rom. Thanks!

so what the hell did I find? it definitely has something to do with PS and arc...try it out.

2CF09? for the nes?

I have the

actual speed starting at: 2BE54

the arc is at: 2BE64

80	01	6-13

64 01 19-25

48 01 31-38

2C 01 44-50

10 01 56-63

F4 00 69-75

D8 00 81-88

DC 00 94-100

thanks for the tip. ;)

@ 2cF09 the hex bytes start off 01 01 85 84 85 A3....

And they don't do shit for the passing arc. So either you posted the location wrong or your smoking crack. All that location did was change tiles near the endzone.

damn, bruddog, I didn't know you liked to get wet...

sorry: x2DF09 ;)

now go check it out, these do shit for passing arc (maybe all arc stuff like snaps and kickoffs....like honkey said).

thanks for telling me the real locations, though.

Yeah, now I sat down for a second and looked again at that location. KOs starts with the 8001 byte to the A000 byte. The snap, fumbles, punts (FG I believe use the same bytes) passes and pitches are all in this location. There should be a part where the first 2 bytes control the graphic used, followed by the next 2 bytes that assign the height. In TSB3 30 and 70 are the graphics, and 38 and 78 are the shadows graphics. I only screwed with it a lil on TSB3, and haven't searched for pointers that grab the code. Its in that, that I fully think its possible to do cool things. I just found them the other night and like many things I find I will go back and see what kind if magic I can do with it. But if ya'll figure some things out I'm all ears.

I set up the code logger to look at rom locations accessed.

a state was set right before snap, turn on logger, snap ball, throw pass with 38,50,44 (PS,PC,PA) qb.

the locations in blue are accessed -which are not consistent with what I found earlier today (with regards to PS and the spot accessed)

EDIT - these do affect trajectory, but must have to do with graphics for a certain pass angle or something.

post-3789-13413728322027_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

Greetings,

This is a novice question, but if PC and PA aren't where/as they're "supposed" to be, then why not just switch the hex references within the game? That would make managers 'easier' to utilize because you wouldn't have to revisit them or account for totally new information when rating players. Does anyone know how to do this?

Im not following your question...

Looking back through this thread, which is awesome, btw, the issue is that roms have been rated with PC in mind where with this hack PA would be more important.

It's really a lot more difficulty to switch the attributes of PC and PA than it would be to swap some ratings given how trivial it is to swap with a tool like TSB Supreme

Im not following your question...

If in the original TSB rom PC controls the QB's accuracy and PA controls the completion/INT, etc. likelihood, couldn't the hex just be manipulated so that these attributes do that the say they do.

It seemed like JSTOUT's 2/2008 reply just tweaks the PA rating to make the QB's less INT prone (or am I misunderstanding?). I'm wondering if the attributes can't just be fixed to do what they say. Or is this really not worth the go-around?

Here is how to use the Pass Control and Pass Accuracy as used in the TSB III (SNES).

The NES reads the PC when the ball is to be thrown (how accurate the ball is thrown) and then again elsewhere when the ball reaches a player (for a miss, drop, catch, deflection, or interception).

Pass Control = Ability to throw on target

Pass Accuracy = Ability to complete a pass

At x29E54:
20 F7 9F JSR $9FF7 ; Go to new PA read

At x2A007:
A0 88 LDY #$88 ; Read PA
4C DD 9F JMP $9FDD ; Go to Normal Code

Now PA will actually mean something

Ok,

Very sorry. I'm still confused. Is the above what you're referring to? I was confused by the second of his responses. Does the quoted response establish PC as what it's "supposed" to be? What exactly is happening to PA here? (He says, "Now PA will actually mean something"). I'm stuck.

Thanks again.

Yes that hack is doing exactly as you suggested.

PC determines if the pass is on target

PA is used in the calculation to determine if a pass is caught, intercepted, deflected.

quince3800 -> in the original Tecmo Super Bowl (TSB) game for the Nintendo, "Pass Accuracy" (PA) did NOT DO ANYTHING. That attribute was NOT used by the game, ever. -> "Pass Control" (PC) attribute was used for BOTH QB "pass-control variable" and the "completion variable".

this here hack, like bruddog and everybody else says, modifies the TSB game-code in such a fashion that PA is now used for the "completion variable" and PC is simplly the "Control" ability of the QB.