Dedicated Returners using Code

jstout

I had to find information on the returners to fix them completely on the rom I'm working on. In the process I discovered the the source of the glitch and wrote some code that will correctly use the returners max speed without any hacks in the play design code or elsewhere.

The source of the problem is at x29083 to x29086. It loads the returners MS but later checks the MS again here in which it incorrectly loads the player (RT or SS) that is normally there.

At x29083 write 4C C0 BF EA (JMP $BFC0) to jump to the new code. Those that understand the ASM can alter the location of the new code and it also currently will fit into cxrom's 32-team rom (v1.05).

At x2BFD0 write in the following code:

A0 08 LDY #08B1 AE LDA $AE,Y ; Read PlayerC9 0A CMP #0A ; Player 1F0 07 BEQ :+C9 8A CMP #8A ; Player 2F0 11 BEQ :+++4C 77 90 JMP EXITA9 18 : LDA #18A4 79 LDY $79 ;C0 08 CPY #08 ; Check for PuntD0 03 BNE :+18 CLCE9 09 SBC #094C 77 90 : JMP EXITA9 98 : LDA #98A4 78 LDY $78 ; C0 08 CPY #08 ; Check for PuntD0 03 BNE :+18 CLCE9 09 SBC #094C 77 90 : JMP EXIT

***If the rom is using the old PR hack (quickness value for PR MS) then change x2908B from x87 (REC) to x82 (MS) to fix any problems.

At x2BFD0 write in the following code:

A0 08	   LDY #08
B1 AE LDA $AE,Y ; Read Player
C9 0A CMP #0A ; Player 1

So, just enter the values in the left column? Left to right, top to bottom, starting at x2bfd0 ?

This doesn't appear to be working for Punt Returners. I gave a guy a very high rs/ms and tested it - he was not running at his attribute settings. Actually, it seems like 6ms.

It does work on Kick Returns, though.

Is is possible that inputing wrong code would produce KR working, but PR not working? I double checked the SET command I posted, and it matches up.

This doesn't appear to be working for Punt Returners. I gave a guy a very high rs/ms and tested it - he was not running at his attribute settings. Actually, it seems like 6ms.

I tried it again right now with a PR with a fast and slow player and both were working. Can you let me know what rom or even send it to me to check over? And the most obvious but not to be overlooked is that the PR was the right guy.

I figured out the problem. The old PR hack that uses the Quickness changes the value of the player to be used. In your rom the REC was being used in with your fast player had a 6. Thanks and I'll note that above.

It does work on Kick Returns, though.

Is is possible that inputing wrong code would produce KR working, but PR not working? I double checked the SET command I posted, and it matches up.

Seems like I have that same problem too??

EDIT : Nevermind found it above, change the 87 to 82.

Hi. I've just posted a couple of times before, I hope this appears in the right place. I didn't even know what an emulator was until Sept 07. At that time I was very excited to find that Tecmo Bowl, a game I'd loved for years was available in an updated version. I played Drummer4Gods 2007-08 Rom and really enjoyed it, even though I'm a jets fan and there's not much to get excited about on the roster. I recently found cxrom's 32 team Rom and I'm blown away. Not knowing anything about computer programming I can only guess how much work has gone into that project, I really appreciate what you've accomplished with it. I'm equally thankful for the TSBtoolsupreme that I believe was created by BAD_AL. It's perfect for a user like me who would have no other way of keeping up with player moves. The main point of this post (although there is a question coming later) is to say how much I enjoy what you've put together (sorry I'm sure there are people who've really helped a lot that I have not credited. I’m new here but I’m sure you all know who’s contributed what. From what I’ve read it seems bruddog, jstout, and Mr.Beef have helped a lot, again I'm sorry for those I've missed.

My question has to do with kick and punt returns. Leon Washington is set as the jets KR/PR, when I increased his abilities they showed up on running/passing plays, but seemed to have no influence on the return game. I'm using cxrom's 32 team rom v105.

I have read a bit about the KR/PR concerns on this message board so forgive me if the answer is obvious and I haven't understood. I don't yet know what a "hack" or "patch" is or how to write code. I am in the middle of reading a hex editing tutorial on a site called "campaigncreations" (I think I found a link to it somewhere on here) so I now understand what the hexidecimal system is and how to convert number formats but I don't know much more than that now. I've downloaded a hex editor, something called hoxpose and FCE UltraXD but I don't know how to use any of them yet.

Anyway, sorry for the super long post. Again, congrats to all who've helped put this together (to Matt Knobbe to for the board) it's fantastic what you've done.

If anyone can offer some help re: my KR/PR problem I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks very much,

Hi everyone, just a note to say I figured out the problem. I read the hex editor guides and was able to implement what jstout had suggested earlier in this thread. Thanks jstout, and everyone else who has put this together. I hope to play online sometime (if I can figure that out next).

Thanks again,

Jer

P.S. am I using the most recent version of the rom v105?

Thanks

• 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
At x29083 write 4C C0 BF EA (JMP $BFC0) to jump to the new code. Those that understand the ASM can alter the location of the new code

For a while I have been looking for a way to get this hack as well as the "Use Quickness For Pass Incompletions"-hack in a rom. There is a conflict, as they use the same space. If I could alter the location of this hack, the problem would be solved. But I do not understand the ASM...

1) How does the ASM work?

2) Is it safe to assume that a space with lots of FF's is a accepted location for this code?

Some help or pointers would be highly appreciated!

At x29083 write 4C C0 BF EA (JMP $BFC0) to jump to the new code. Those that understand the ASM can alter the location of the new code

For a while I have been looking for a way to get this hack as well as the "Use Quickness For Pass Incompletions"-hack in a rom. There is a conflict, as they use the same space. If I could alter the location of this hack, the problem would be solved. But I do not understand the ASM...

1) How does the ASM work?

2) Is it safe to assume that a space with lots of FF's is a accepted location for this code?

Some help or pointers would be highly appreciated!

Yes, a space with FFs is accepted location for this code and you'll need to edit the jump location into the code. If the code is in x28010-x2C00F, then you'll change "x29083 write 4C C0 BF EA (JMP $BFC0)" to the location - x10 (the original code x2BFD0 = $BFC0). If you are trying to put the code elsewhere then I would need to know where because it requires a change of banks which is harder to describe.

There is a block of FF's between x2BF44 and x2BFC9, where the code would fit.

I don't get the jump-command though. What would I need to change "4C C0 BF EA" at x29083 to for it to jump to x2BF44 instead?

Change to x29083 to 4C 34 BF EA