Tecmo Bowl Arcade for sale! (Anyone know Horseboy?)

AugieNo2

Anybody know a guy named Jamie? His screename on Knobbe is Horseboy. I just noticed now that back in November he sent me a message on here asking if I'd be willing to sell my Tecmo Bowl four-player arcade game from the 80's. He hasn't logged in to this site since then. I just replied to him now because I never, ever get messages on here and just noticed he sent me one today. I don't know if he even checks this site anymore. He didn't give me any other contact info.

I'd be interested if anybody would like to make me an offer for the game. It works great and is in pretty good physical shape. I know a trick where you'll never have to put quarters in to play it too, haha. I can take pics and put them up on here. I can give you as much detailed info as I possibly can about it. Please note I am not an arcade game expert though. The game would be sold as is.

Anyway, highest offer gets first dibs. The game is located in Connecticut. I have no way of transporting it myself to you, so you'd have to bring a truck and pick it up yourself or pay for the transportation. Since it is a two-screen game with four joysticks, the unit is wider than a typical arcade game. I can give you exact dimensions.

Is there a way to lateral in that game? I have the rom, but I can't seem to figure it out (I thought I remembered reading that you could). Either way...where did you get that game? I might be interested, although I suspect shipping might be insane...where you at?

You can only lateral behind the line of scrimmage. To lateral, you just press the pass button. I think you can only pass to the other "odd-colored" player on your team. To hand off you press pass when the other odd-colored player is standing next to you. There are no pre-set plays. A random formation comes up at every down. Sometimes a formation is better suited for a run, sometimes better suited for a pass. The spontaneity is one of the things that makes this game insanely fun. You can choose to run or pass on every down. I forgot how you choose weather to kick a fg or punt, haha. I haven't played it in a while. It takes a little to get used to since it's so different from the other Tecmo football games, but once you do it's a blast. Unlike Tecmo Bowl or Tecmo Super Bowl, there's a jump button, so you can pick the precise moment when you want to JJ, haha. There is also a dive button, which you can use to dive tackle on defense, but you can also use it on offense to throw a flying block. You can really wreck dudes, it's hilarious. One of my favorite things to do when playing with 4 people is to come out of nowhere and lay out chumps with a diving crack-back block. To grapple, you move the joystick left and right or up and down really fast. Whoever moves it faster wins the grapple.

Another thing about laterals is, you can throw them behind the line of scrimmage as many times as you want and STILL throw a forward pass. Guys on defense who don't know this will always bite on the play thinking it's a run. It always blows them away when they think it's a pitch-out sweep, only to have the halfback bloop a lollipop touch pass right over their head, haha. If the ball hits the ground on a lateral, it's a live ball, but once the offense picks the ball back up the game won't let you throw a pass. This makes you respect the laterals a little more.

The game is located in central Connecticut.

i was trying to check this game out on mame a while back, but couldnt get it to work. anyone who has played it on mame know if your supposed to do anything special?

It's pretty confusing and tricky to set it up in Mame, but once you do, playing with 3 other guys is fun. If everyone is patient and someone who already knows how to do it is very explicit in his instructions for setting it up and how to play, it goes much more smoothly.

where did you get that game?

I got it about 8 years ago from an arcade game collector, technician, and dealer. He had about 15 old school arcade games form the 80's in his garage, including a weird version of Pac-Man called Puck-Man. He occasionally sold them yard-sale style, and we first met the dude when we just happened to be driving down a road one day and we see an original Joust arcade game sitting on a lawn. We stopped, rang the doorbell, and the guy came out. He opens his garage door and I was practically blinded by the glow of an original stand-up 4-player Tecmo Bowl.

• 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Unreal that this is out there! Do you still have this? I definitely would be interested. My uncle owns a vending company back in Michigan. I should talk with him about this probably as well, heh. Like turd said though, once in a lifetime opportunity.