Using quickness for INT and fumble returns.

BigBen7

I'm sure you can find the same sequence of bytes in a hex editor.

I used this search to find the NES sequence in TSB3:

E2 03

In TSB3, this sequence shows up 33 times. I isolated the correct sequence by finding the neighboring character sequences that mirror those of the NES neighbors. In both versions, the INT mod sequence sits at the end of a neighborhood that looks like this:

9þúãüüÿà6þúãüüÿà. :þúãüüÿà5þúãüüÿà7þúãüüÿà8þúãüüÿà2þúãüüÿà3þúãüüÿà5þúãüüÿà1þúãüüÿà0þúã

I know it looks jumbled here, and this isn't the exact sequence, but the sequence is pretty distinct in the text display table - expecially if you match up the sequence of numbers separating the Turkish characters (5..7..8..2..3..5..1..0). I'm sure one of the resident hacking geniuses here will offer a more efficient search means than I use...

Eitehr way, I hope it helps.

AM Rush

the link you posted only shows how to change the int return speed but it will use the players maximum speed instead of their quickness. That's not ideal if you want slower returns by DL, LB etc.

"Quickness value is used as MS for INT and fumble returns (found by Partyman, int and fumble implementation found by bruddog)

Go to Hex Address #2908B in the rom and change the value of 82 to 87.

*I would not advise using this without using at minimum the dedicated kick return hack.

I forget which value it will now use instead of the RT ms for kick returns. It will use the SS quickness values for MS for punt returns without the dedicated punt return hacks"

the link you posted only shows how to change the int return speed but it will use the players maximum speed instead of their quickness. That's not ideal if you want slower returns by DL, LB etc.

Correct. I forgot to draw the distinction between MS and QU. Sorry. I will say that my testing of modding only the MS on INT returns showed no marked distinction of slower returns among DLs and LBs vs DBs. Of course, my rom's rating structure for QU and MS probably vastly differs from the standards most of the rest of you use...

"Quickness value is used as MS for INT and fumble returns (found by Partyman, int and fumble implementation found by bruddog)

Not trying to sound nitpicky, but you're crediting discoveries for NES. If these were discovered for TSB3 already, please point us in the right direction and sticky it. While you're at it, please point us to the comparable value for NES x2908B in TSB3... Thanks

AM Rush

• 8 years later...
On 2/3/2008 at 0:43 PM, bruddog said:

*I would not advise using this without using at minimum the dedicated kick return hack.

I forget which value it will now use instead of the RT ms for kick returns. It will use the SS quickness values for MS for punt returns without the dedicated punt return hacks"

If I were to create a SET command for this in TSBTOOL, would it be:

SET(0x2908B, 0x8287)

8 minutes ago, SBlueman said:

If I were to create a SET command for this in TSBTOOL, would it be:

SET(0x2908B, 0x8287)

no.  

it would be:  SET(0x2908B, 0x87)

because you are "SETting" the value at location 0x290b to 87.  whatever value is already there is irrelevant.

Lightbulb_idea.jpg

I understand!

Been a long time since I've dabbled in editing the game, thanks for the help with that one. Hope others find it useful too! I know that hex editing can be intimidating to many, I think set commands is a good way for the novice who wants to learn more to 'bridge the gap'.