Funny things about TSB!!!

49er4life

well, he just shot down every one of my "mysteries of tecmo" statements.

and as for the panties, what i was commenting on was they moved the skirt up about a millimeter. its just weird...you would think either her skirt would come all the way up as she kept falling, like a normal cheerleaders' would, but no, tecmo chose to freeze at the very point the slightest bit got exposed.

• 1 year later...
Has anyone seen the Mighty Bombjack super bowl halftime show? I swear it happens; I never even watched the super bowl halftime before today.

Has anyone seen it?! Good Lord, it's a thing of legend. The Mighty Bombjack show would rival any form of halftime entertainment that they could cook up today.

What I love about Tecmo is how they made it special when you made it to, and won, the Super Bowl. The change in music, the Mighty Bombjack Show, the ending credits. It all makes it worthwhile...which can't be said for alot of newer games today.

Other than that, my most favorite and memorable quirk about Tecmo Super Bowl is the fact that you can miss both a 60 yard and 90 yard field goal by only a couple feet.

Has anyone seen the Mighty Bombjack super bowl halftime show? I swear it happens; I never even watched the super bowl halftime before today.

i didnt know this till the other day, but there was an actual nes game called the mighty bombjacks, or something like that, cause they are the main characters in the game

i always wondered where the fuck they got the idea for that(the halftime show) but now i know where they got the guys from

i was always fond of the multiple super jump animation. where both the wr and the db just jump up and up and up. Until it came to a conclusion. It made just a simple jump pass just all the more intense and cool.

round my neck of the woods that's referred to as the "double-jump cut scene" and is without doubt my favorite animation. too bad the suspense was lost when we realized that whoever goes up first catches the ball..

i was always fond of the multiple super jump animation. where both the wr and the db just jump up and up and up. Until it came to a conclusion. It made just a simple jump pass just all the more intense and cool.

round my neck of the woods that's referred to as the "double-jump cut scene" and is without doubt my favorite animation. too bad the suspense was lost when we realized that whoever goes up first catches the ball..

whats the percentage of this even happening..........i mean once a season it seemed like on my nes.........i saw all the other cut scenes a million times, and then this perhaps once a year if that.........

I like how you can tackle someone after the whistle and you don't get a flag.

I also like how you can tackle said poor slob after the whistle and make him fumble.

The best is when a flea-flicker or similar multiple handoff play is run and it's broken off before the QB gets the ball back. Sometimes the computer thinks the QB got the ball back AFTER the whistle and a pass goes flying out of nowhere, TO nowhere.

I hate how the computer can break up a handoff by illegally tackling the intended receiver, thus resulting in a fumble.

I hate how the computer juices up your opponents in a season and think it nearly ruins the game. Hey, if I want a challenge I'll try to take the Patriots or Cardinals to the Super Bowl.

It ain't no bug.....no one dives on the ball like the coaches preach! About the field goal recovery though, is that true? I swore my own controlled player was able to pick up the ball instantly after blocking a FG today...something that never has happened before. It was awesome, blocking and then like instantly-catching the ball.

It's not scary - just a bug. Admittedly, not one that should have gotten by. I think you can pick up blocked field goals.

In TSB, I've seen the offensive team pick up a blocked field goal and run with it for the first down a few times. I've even seen at least one TD scored in this manner. The actual NFL rules do not allow this. The kicking team can recover a blocked field goal and retain possession if it wasn't on fourth down, but cannot advance the ball once they recover it unless the defensive team touches the ball down field.

I have the answer to all of your questions, but I will not answer them all. I will, however, answer this one:

Why did Tecmo incorporate the "white panty" in the scene where the cheerleader in the pink dress bounces up into the air, freezes, and her skirt moves up about a half an inch exposing some panty?

My father purposely designed this, just as He designed everything for its purpose in Tecmo.

He wanted all of you to kick the side of the game during the panty-shot scene, freezing the screen, and then you are to masturbate to the cheerleader. This will help your relationship with the game and ease the tension . This was part of his plan. You have taken a special step in your relationship with the Tecmo God if you masturabate to that cheerleader.

Big Red,

Son of the Tecmo God

• 14 years later...
On 1/11/2003 at 9:49 PM, 49er4life said:

Dont get me wrong, I know that TSB is the best game ever, that back in 1991 when it came out, it was way ahead of its time and that Tecmo did an awesome job with very little room, but the following are just some things that I think are kinda funny:

Why are the players that represent their team in the coin toss always white? Why are the referees always white? Why do they always play in the same stadium? Why are teams' pants always the same color as their helmets? Why are all players exactly the same height and weight? Why is the field only 20 yards wide? Why do players recovering from injuries always leave the hospital with the Bears' uniform?....

These are just some of the funny things about TSB that I remember, but still I wouldn't change it for anything!! :x

There is only one true, and simple answer to all these questions. And I know these answers to be true because the game designers great grandfathers' cousins' uncles' nephews' landlords' magical Venus Flytrap told me when I visited an old friend on the seashore of Japan.

The reason the players skin is always white is because that's the skin color of Johnny Johnson, and they wanted the perfect prototype of an NFL player to represent the game at halftime.  As for the refs, again, much of the same thing.  They went with the skin color of Johnny Johnson because well, it just works.  But for the body, they used the sillouette of Ed Hochuli, which to me was a good move on there part.

The reason they always play in the same stadium is because that's the stadium where Johnny Johnson first stepped foot onto a football field.  We all know the story.  On that magical day of June 11th, 1968, his mother gave birth to him on the 50 yard line of Sun Devil Stadium, where he changed the game, and the way we know it forever. 

Before the game was created, they once asked Johnny Johnson what he thought of the Cardinals color scheme of white and crimson red for this new ground breaking game coming out for the Nintendo Entertainment System..........he simply replied, "I like it, but I want my away helmet and pants to be sky blue"...absolutely astonished by his knowledge of aesthetics, artistic talent, and grasp of the color wheel, Tecmo knew they had no choice but to hire Johnny Johnson as the {OFFICIAL} Creative Color Consultant.  That's why the pants always match the helmet, and the spatted white Nikes' and the color coordinated elbow pads are always in the same place on every player.  Like Johnson said at the legendary Tecmo Superbowl board meeting exactly one year to the date before the games' release, "When ya look good, ya feel good...when ya feel good, ya play better"........and the rest as they say, is history.

As for the same height and weight question, again, they went with a stature that could realistically play any position on the field, and look credible doing it, so they went with 6'3, 225 lbs, which also just so happens to be the exact height and game time playing weight as Johnny Johnson.....coincidence???  I don't think so.  Word is Tecmo still pays Johnny Johnson a pretty handsome wage under the table to keep that a secret,..but you didn't hear that from me.

Adjustments had to be made on the width of the field because in game testing, it simply wasn't fair or ethical to give any more than 20 yards of daylight to a player with the skillset, hidden attributes, and game changing talent of Johnson.  A player of his magnitude would give opponents unfair advantage, but in retrospect after the release of the game in '91, the efforts of the shrunken sidelines were in vein, because to this day, 27 years later after the fact, people still can't, and probably never will be able to contain him.

Tecmo asked Johnny Johnson after the '90~'91 season what he thought of the yellow and blue 8 bit polkadot hospital gowns they were going to use for the players to wear as they exited the doctor's office and ran to their respective games.  He said he liked the idea, but as an apology tribute to the city of Chicago, their fans, and the 9 out of 11 defensive starters he injured carrying the ball vs the Bears in their 1 o'clock Sunday game at Soldier field, he thought it would be a gesture of kindness, and the right thing to do to make the hospital outfits in navy blue and white.  Even though Cardinals lost the game, the Bears clearly lost the war.

In conclusion, I really hoped this little refresher course in history really helped, and is something people who ever have any questions about this great game can refer to.  You're welcome, and have a nice day,

Sincerely,

~Tailback King~ 

1 hour ago, ~Tailback King~ said:

There is only one true, and simple answer to all these questions. And I know these answers to be true because the game designers great grandfathers' cousins' uncles' nephews' landlords' magical Venus Flytrap told me when I visited an old friend on the seashore of Japan.

The reason the players skin is always white is because that's the skin color of Johnny Johnson, and they wanted the perfect prototype of an NFL player to represent the game at halftime.  As for the refs, again, much of the same thing.  They went with the skin color of Johnny Johnson because well, it just works.  But for the body, they used the sillouette of Ed Hochuli, which to me was a good move on there part.

The reason they always play in the same stadium is because that's the stadium where Johnny Johnson first stepped foot onto a football field.  We all know the story.  On that magical day of June 11th, 1968, his mother gave birth to him on the 50 yard line of Sun Devil Stadium, where he changed the game, and the way we know it forever. 

Before the game was created, they once asked Johnny Johnson what he thought of the Cardinals color scheme of white and crimson red for this new ground breaking game coming out for the Nintendo Entertainment System..........he simply replied, "I like it, but I want my away helmet and pants to be sky blue"...absolutely astonished by his knowledge of aesthetics, artistic talent, and grasp of the color wheel, Tecmo knew they had no choice but to hire Johnny Johnson as the {OFFICIAL} Creative Color Consultant.  That's why the pants always match the helmet, and the spatted white Nikes' and the color coordinated elbow pads are always in the same place on every player.  Like Johnson said at the legendary Tecmo Superbowl board meeting exactly one year to the date before the games' release, "When ya look good, ya feel good...when ya feel good, ya play better"........and the rest as they say, is history.

As for the same height and weight question, again, they went with a stature that could realistically play any position on the field, and look credible doing it, so they went with 6'3, 225 lbs, which also just so happens to be the exact height and game time playing weight as Johnny Johnson.....coincidence???  I don't think so.  Word is Tecmo still pays Johnny Johnson a pretty handsome wage under the table to keep that a secret,..but you didn't hear that from me.

Adjustments had to be made on the width of the field because in game testing, it simply wasn't fair or ethical to give any more than 20 yards of daylight to a player with the skillset, hidden attributes, and game changing talent of Johnson.  A player of his magnitude would give opponents unfair advantage, but in retrospect after the release of the game in '91, the efforts of the shrunken sidelines were in vein, because to this day, 27 years later after the fact, people still can't, and probably never will be able to contain him.

Tecmo asked Johnny Johnson after the '90~'91 season what he thought of the yellow and blue 8 bit polkadot hospital gowns they were going to use for the players to wear as they exited the doctor's office and ran to their respective games.  He said he liked the idea, but as an apology tribute to the city of Chicago, their fans, and the 9 out of 11 defensive starters he injured carrying the ball vs the Bears in their 1 o'clock Sunday game at Soldier field, he thought it would be a gesture of kindness, and the right thing to do to make the hospital outfits in navy blue and white.  Even though Cardinals lost the game, the Bears clearly lost the war.

In conclusion, I really hoped this little refresher course in history really helped, and is something people who ever have any questions about this great game can refer to.  You're welcome, and have a nice day,

Sincerely,

~Tailback King~

nary a dry eye in the house.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/30/2018 at 3:21 PM, ~Tailback King~ said:

Sincerely,

~Tailback King~ 

*BUMP*  The true answers to all of Tecmo Superbowls "WHY'S" are right here^^^  This is mostly a guide for the beginners who are just starting to get into this great game.  Anyone who calls themselves a veteran in this game { @kamphuna8 @manYo720 } learned about these facts along time ago.  This is one of the first things they teach you.  It's always a pleasure to pass on what the Tecmo gods have passed on to me.  

@davefmurray @red98sethuthut @mort1237 and @Knobbe ...you four probably needed this refresher course.  

Edited by ~Tailback King~

13 hours ago, ~Tailback King~ said:

*BUMP*  The true answers to all of Tecmo Superbowls "WHY'S" are right here^^^  This is mostly a guide for the beginners who are just starting to get into this great game.  Anyone who calls themselves a veteran in this game { @kamphuna8 @manYo720 } learned about these facts along time ago.  This is one of the first things they teach you.  It's always a pleasure to pass on what the Tecmo gods have passed on to me.  

@davefmurray @red98sethuthut @mort1237 and @Knobbe ...you four probably needed this refresher course.  

Even Johnny Johnson's got a woody reading that one