New 32 team, new 32 team rom editor needed

kingsoby1

Heard that Ed is working on something for rosters... I was thinking about functionality for one big editor package.

Some things that would be cool and/or necessary:

- Team (colors, abbrev/ club name, etc) and roster editor

- Schedule editor

- Sim data editor

- Graphics editor (menus, helmets, whatever else)

- Playbook and play editor

Well I made a SNES TSB1 Editor in java that uses a excel sheet to fill its roster, and I'd like to add something similar with the NES versions. I would also like to add a lot of features to this as I go along for both versions, alot like what Soby mentions.

http://www.tecmohaven.com/SNESEditor.zip

You will need the Java 6 Runtime Environment to run this, which can be found at http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp.

All you have to do is unzip the zip file and double click on the file TSBEditor.jar. The excel workbook also has to be in the exact same format as the pages that are listed (28 teams, 32 players per team). Also, the RET column is for the return team (0 for position 0, 1 for position 1, 2 for position 2) and START is for the starting returners (K for KR, P for PR, B for both).

I wasn't planning to release this yet cause it needs some work still, but I thought I'd throw it out there. If you have any questions just ask me on AIM edisaurusrex. I'm sure the NES version, even with 32 teams, will be a piece of cake and adding on the extra functionality would be fun to dig up, maybe :mrgreen:.

if you do use java i got some code you could have from an editor i started called openTechmo.

my design was more around the idea of loading a rom and making changes through the gui rather then importing data. dunno if that'll be a problem or not.

i also have some large helmet editor code i could port to java.

Yeah definitely this could and should be a collaborative effort. I'd like this editor to be able to:

a) import from a excel sheet, rom, flat file

:mrgreen: change the minutes in a quarter

c) change first down yardage

d) use int and punt return hacks

e) edit graphics (wow tough)

f) edit playbooks (even way tougher prob)

g) edit the schedule

h) edit text throughout the rom

i) edit sim data

j) change team formations

k) turn on pre-season injuries

and whatever else we can think of that has been done. All of these options other than the graphic and playbook editors should be pretty easy to do.

I reckon that there should at least be a "Hackers Document" or something put out in the open. Something which has the hex addresses and such of all the things ed mentioned - and whatever other likely hacked areas.

I think incorporating a fully featured play editor would be the hardest part (with graphics as a close second)... otherwise, everything else seems straightforward.

I know most people wouldn't care for a play editor (I've given up on that stuff... too many variables to control), but an easy graphics editor would be nice.

Well I made a SNES TSB1 Editor in java that uses a excel sheet to fill its roster, and I'd like to add something similar with the NES versions. I would also like to add a lot of features to this as I go along for both versions, alot like what Soby mentions.

http://www.tecmohaven.com/SNESEditor.zip

You will need the Java 6 Runtime Environment to run this, which can be found at http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp.

All you have to do is unzip the zip file and double click on the file TSBEditor.jar. The excel workbook also has to be in the exact same format as the pages that are listed (28 teams, 32 players per team). Also, the RET column is for the return team (0 for position 0, 1 for position 1, 2 for position 2) and START is for the starting returners (K for KR, P for PR, B for both).

I wasn't planning to release this yet cause it needs some work still, but I thought I'd throw it out there. If you have any questions just ask me on AIM edisaurusrex. I'm sure the NES version, even with 32 teams, will be a piece of cake and adding on the extra functionality would be fun to dig up, maybe :o.

You're doing it in Java huh?

That's cool.

Do you think you could package it up in an applet and deploy it on a web page?

That way you can make bug fixes and add new features and everyone gets them automatically (if accessed through the internet).

You could also set it up to run standalone so that if the web page goes away, your users can still run it.

I could throw together an (applet+standalone) example for you to follow if you'd like.

Also, why are you using Java 1.6?

Wouldn't you want to target something earlier so that it would run on more systems?