TSB 32-Team ROM (2007)

cxrom

The two best possible hacks I would want that don't exist are

1, Two Point Conversions

2, Defenders returning kicks

the 2pt conversion has been on my list for awhile. i'm still hopeful, but haven't made any progress on it.

BUG-

In "Team Data" page, upon selection of any team from NFC West, VirtuaNES crashes. I haven't tested the crash w/ another emu yet.

that is strange, other emulators seem to work fine. i'll take a look at it.

Quick question.... I'm missing the sound byte for the QB saying "hut hut hut hut....". There is no sound for those few seconds but then everything returns to normal after the snap.

that's normal for this rom (and any derivatives). i removed the rest of that sound sample to free up some space, so only the "ready..." plays.

has anybody found a way to fix the jags mini helmet logo in all the screens except the team control screen? it shows up as just a blank black helmet in every other screen.

this is not fixable in the current form because of the way the logo is placed. when i find the code i need, i'll fix it the right way.

CX, could you tell me the hex location of the playbook that you put in the in game menu of your new 32 team rom, I would like to add it to a version of yours that I had perviously updated w/ the pass and run defensive reaction hacks and new alternate unies for teams and also added new nfl endzones to that rom as well, thought it might be easier to add the new play book to the in-game menu of this rom instead of redoing the new one and could you also tell me the hex location for the sound that you remove for the qb to add more space to the 32 team rom I read were you said if the nfl expanded that there was enough room for maybe two more teams to be added untill then would I be able to put the qb's sound back in the rom threw the hex location? thanks for everything you have done cx and I'll show my appreciation by keeping what ever you released updated to the best of my knowledge as i'm still learning. SUP!!!

CX, could you tell me the hex location of the playbook that you put in the in game menu of your new 32 team rom, I would like to add it to a version of yours that I had perviously updated w/ the pass and run defensive reaction hacks and new alternate unies for teams and also added new nfl endzones to that rom as well, thought it might be easier to add the new play book to the in-game menu of this rom instead of redoing the new one

trust me it won't be easier. you'll have to update ~120 pointers in order to just copy/paste the menu stuff. you might try making an *.ips out of your changes against whatever copy u started from. then apply that to the new version.

the problem is that i have to place all new code before the 4 new teams' roster so that the trailing space can be for future name usage. this in turn shifts all the names and screws up the pointers.

and could you also tell me the hex location for the sound that you remove for the qb to add more space to the 32 team rom I read were you said if the nfl expanded that there was enough room for maybe two more teams to be added untill then would I be able to put the qb's sound back in the rom threw the hex location?

ahh that damn sample. i'm no sound guru, so bear with me, but here's the exact reason its not included (warning: technical bs to follow):

the nes can output 1-bit samples through the DMC (delta modulation channel). those qb sound effects are created with this channel. the address of the sample to be played is set by writing to $4012. the address itself is 2 bytes, but the programmer can only specify 1 byte.

(16-bit address)

%11aaaaaa aa000000

the 0s and 1s are set, i can only specify the value of the As. this gives an effective address range of $C000 to $FFC0.

the original had names and numbers stored in prg bank 1 which was mapped to $8000 - $BFFF (cpu address space). and since $C000 - $Fxxx was already taken (and cannot be remapped), that left me with $Fxxx - $FFF0. this is where the above sample is stored.

one day i'd like to restore the sample and have the code that loads the names/attributes bank switch if accessing an NFC west team. though thats another can of worms.

i updated the new rom with the new tsbtool and when i go check league leaders the screen messes up and the game freezes. Does anynody know why?

You updated it with a previous version, he has since corrected this problem. Here's a thread on how to fix what you've already done to the rom

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=10578&start=5

Here's the newest version

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=6941&start=141

Yes it's the same link you got the other one from, but it's been updated.

i updated the new rom with the new tsbtool and when i go check league leaders the screen messes up and the game freezes. Does anynody know why?

You updated it with a previous version, he has since corrected this problem. Here's a thread on how to fix what you've already done to the rom

http://www.tecmobowl.org/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 78&start=5

I am assuming this is the fix for the NFL leaders issue.....but I don't see an actual solution there.

Hey any luck with the defensive players stats not showing up for NFC West teams when controlled by man players?

so it's only NFC west defensive players? and none of the stats show up?

i've mostly been playing preseason the last couple weeks. kinda dropped the ball...

Hey any luck with the defensive players stats not showing up for NFC West teams when controlled by man players?

so it's only NFC west defensive players? and none of the stats show up?

i've mostly been playing preseason the last couple weeks. kinda dropped the ball...

I thought this was resolved?

CX, still working on that sound byte for the qb's. the sound is good untill he say hut then it gets distorted, any ideas? would love to fix this cause your 32team rom is the best ever!!!

lemme quote myself:

ahh that damn sample. i'm no sound guru, so bear with me, but here's the exact reason its not included (warning: technical bs to follow):

the nes can output 1-bit samples through the DMC (delta modulation channel). those qb sound effects are created with this channel. the address of the sample to be played is set by writing to $4012. the address itself is 2 bytes, but the programmer can only specify 1 byte.

(16-bit address)

%11aaaaaa aa000000

the 0s and 1s are set, i can only specify the value of the As. this gives an effective address range of $C000 to $FFC0.

the original had names and numbers stored in prg bank 1 which was mapped to $8000 - $BFFF (cpu address space). and since $C000 - $Fxxx was already taken (and cannot be remapped), that left me with $Fxxx - $FFF0. this is where the above sample is stored.

one day i'd like to restore the sample and have the code that loads the names/attributes bank switch if accessing an NFC west team. though thats another can of worms.

combined with the pm i sent you:

i think you are confusing the cpu addressing space with the actual rom addresses. so here is a better explanation:

PC = Program Counter

PPU = Picture Processing Unit

APU = Audio Processing Unit

the NES has a 16-bit PC which holds the address of the next instruction to be executed. with a 16-bit PC you can only address $0000-$FFFF. here is a break-down of what is what in CPU address space.

$0000-$07FF: RAM
$0800-$1FFF: Mirror of RAM
$2000-$2007: PPU registers
$2008-$3FFF: Mirror of PPU registers
$4000-$4017: APU registers/sprite DMA register/controller port registers
$4018-$5FFF: for TSB, there is nothing here
$6000-$7FFF: SRAM
$8000-$9FFF: prg bank 1
$A000-$BFFF: prg bank 2
$C000-$DFFF: prg bank 3
$E000-$FFFF: prg bank 4

so the NES can only "see" $8000 bytes of data that is on the cartridge at a time (mapped to $8000-$FFFF). to get around this, they created special chips called "mappers" to swap in different banks of data into the address space the the NES can see. TSB uses the MMC3 mapper.

in my post i usually write NES addresses with a '$' (e.g. $C000) and actual file addresses with "0x" (e.g. 0x08457). now the addresses you see in a hex editor mean nothing to the NES because that data can only be mapped to $8000-$FFFF.

$4012 is an NES address. it is part of memory mapped I/O. this means that instead of having special instructions for I/O between the main cpu and the ppu/apu, the programmer just writes the data to an address. the co-processors watch for writes to those addresses and act accordingly.

now to add another layer of confusion, the MMC3 has it's own set of memory mapped registers. these registers swap PRG (code/data) and CHR (graphic) banks, changing mirroring modes (has to do with scrolling), enable/disable sram, and set IRQs (interrupt requests). these are mapped to $8000, $8001, $A000, $A001, $C000, $C001, $E000, $E001. so not only can code or data be located at these addresses, but writing to them will have some effect on the MMC3. it will not overwrite what's there since $8000-$FFFF is technically read-only.

i hope this clears up the confusion. the nesDev wiki will have a better explanation and more info if you are interested.

so in short: it will not be possible to restore the soundfx without some serious work. i don't mean to come off as an ass but there is no other way i can explain it.