Northeast Tecmo Tournament '08 Discussion Thread

riddleinthdark

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am 100% down wherever we decide it will be, as always.

Some thoughts:

-The weekend before the Super Bowl is ideal (Sat. Jan 26).

-A venue outside NYC is not out of the question. It may be cheaper and more convenient for some. Wherever we have it, there need to be a lot of TVs.

-Two rounds worked well in 2007. Double elimination for the second round works best. I think shortening up or allowing more freedom in the first round would help. Perhaps a qualifying round, playing 3-4 different Tecmoers, and then having seeding based on that performance would do better (it would also allow everyone to make the second round).

More ideas? Place and time are most important right now.

I think we should do more of a world cup type playoff system where you get a group stage (round robin) then take the top 2 of each group then put them on opposite sides of the bracket, so then they will not face each other again until the finals or elimination bracket. Saturday of super bowl bye week sounds good. May have even more of a turnout from south jersey this year than last.

That's pretty much what we did last year, except more teams were in each pool and we allowed more teams to the second round. Top 2 sounds a little low, I'd rather have a qualifier round and have seeds so each player gets his fair shot. I don't know about you, but if I'm paying into the tourney, I'd at least like to make the double elimination round.

if you have groups of 4 and have 2 advance, 50% get into the tourney. You can always have a single elimination second chance tournament for the second half who did not qualify and have them play the guy who wins the loser's bracket to play the champ. I did not think that there were too many people in the dbl elimination tourney, but I know that I had played the same guy 3 times, once in the round robin and twice in the playoffs, and even though I won everytime, I wish that at least that will be changed for this tourney

It will fall on the bye week. Perhaps we should combine our efforts. :)

I would say that is a good idea, but I am approaching my limits at my venue (my house) as it is. Often thought it would be a good location in Morgantown, Pa. at the Holiday Inn as it is right off the Pa TPK. I already have 4 NES's and 4 TV's for my own.

Maybe I can try to make the NY one but it will be tough on that Saturday with getting ready for my tourney the next morning.

but I know that I had played the same guy 3 times, once in the round robin and twice in the playoffs, and even though I won everytime, I wish that at least that will be changed for this tourney

That was my fault, not the setup. I accidentally flipped the double elimination bracket the way it was supposed to be. Guys wound up facing each other again later in the bracket when they probably should not have met again until much later, if at all.

danfritsch, we need to find a venue ourselves for the NYC tourney and are open to moving it to a somewhat near location (I would say anywhere within 2 hours of NYC would be fine for most).

Badmoon,

I just went to the Garden last month to see a concert and that took me 2:45 mins to get there. I don't know how much more I can take on right now as I have a baby due at the end of December. I would usually opt to help organize (as I do all the organizing for my local one) but I just don't know that I will have the time this year.

I have talked to badmoon about this for a while now, as well as a few others throughout the year.

I live 35 min outside of NYC just over the line in CT.

About anoter 45 min from me, in MEriden CT which is only 30 min from Bradey international airport, 90 min from NYC, and 100 min from Boston, I am a part owner of a sports bar w multiple tvs, and room - space for many many more. HAve a heated patio, a couple of golden T machines, decent blonde bartenders, and tons of space..

I also have a venue right next door in Wallingford that is a friend of mine's hall - club. It has decent bar downstairs, back room w a few tvs- pool table, but then upstairs is a giant hall that they rent out for stags, etc.. I can have it for free anytime! Bring in our own kegs, hard alcohol, food for free since there's a kitchen downstairs that my friend would have one of the cooks work for free for the day making us whatever we want, whores, pimps, she-men for kidpro and mrtecmosuperbowl, etc..

The place in Meriden, CT is Maloney's

IN Wallingford is the V.F.W.

SHoot me an email anyone that is seriously interested, as this is getting clsoer in time than it seems w/ the Superbowl just about 10 weeks away.

[email protected]

For those ppl that don't drive in, there's actuallt a train station in MEriden about 1 mile from the location of the sporta bar.. can either go direct fromNYC, Boston, etc on Amtrak bc the meriden station gets amtrak trains.. New Haven though you can change from metro north and get on an Amtrak train there.. Unfort Metro North doesn't come into MEriden..