Old article on Dickerson's beef with Tecmo and Kenner

TomTupa

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.h ... Copyrights

Seems he was in NFLPA and still threw a fit. That's why future Tecmo's are littered with no name players. Does this still happen in Madden?

On a side note why does the licensing deal with Madden effect Tecmo Bowl on the Wii? None of those players are still in the league! Also if Tecmo got the names of the old players for a 91 reunion, I guess we'd have QB Panthers and LB Patriots.

• 3 months later...

So this explains why Tecmo didn't even put an "RB Colts" in the game. Tecmo was scared of getting sued! I guess the difference between Dickerson and Kelly, Kosar, and Cunningham is Dickerson was actually a member of the NFLPA, but didn't give his permission to license his likeness. Kelly, Kosar, and Cunningham weren't in the NFLPA.

Maybe Kelly, Kosar, and Cunningham was Dickerson's law firm.

• 4 weeks later...
as long as the players are retired they can be in the new tecmo bowl....All pro football 2k8 has the retired players so it would work.

not really, because you still have to negotiate with each individual player or their estate, rather than just one organization. So it's actually even more of a headache. 2k8 did this, which is why the choices are so ecletic. They put on who they could get. Doing an individual season is not really feasible. There was a Babe Ruth game for the computer that has about 20 so-called all time greats on it and it doesn't include Mickey Mantle. He was probably too expensive (I think he was also alive when the game came out).

• 7 months later...
Seems he was in NFLPA and still threw a fit. That's why future Tecmo's are littered with no name players. Does this still happen in Madden?

He is in the SNES version of TSB I, so he must've gotten over himself by then. I don't think it still goes on, but it was popular at the time. This is why games like NBA Jam were released without Michael Jordan and Shaq. I think athletes today are more in touch with the importance video games have.

as long as the players are retired they can be in the new tecmo bowl....All pro football 2k8 has the retired players so it would work.

not really, because you still have to negotiate with each individual player or their estate, rather than just one organization. So it's actually even more of a headache. 2k8 did this, which is why the choices are so ecletic. They put on who they could get. Doing an individual season is not really feasible. There was a Babe Ruth game for the computer that has about 20 so-called all time greats on it and it doesn't include Mickey Mantle. He was probably too expensive (I think he was also alive when the game came out).

Also it's not a major release, expecting to reach millions of people. It's a niche game that can be downloaded for only a few dollars at a time. They'd probably lose money liscensing even 1 John Elway, or Jerry Rice.

• 4 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...