TSBII vs TSBIII

Eric

SNES versions

I just got TSBII and I've noticed some differences between it and TSBIII. Some of these may be due to the fact I'm using the Cardinals who suck.

It's harder to play offense. I rarely break a tackle and spin moves occur less. Defenses seem to cover better on deep patterns and catches in traffic occur less.

I hate this one - It happens when you are controlling a player on defense. When the player you are controlling grapples with either a blocker or the ball carrier and another opposing player touches you, you get thrown. I've been using Seth Joyner almost every play and he has nice stats. Even Joyner gets thrown in these situations. It makes solo tackles very tough to come by. In my experience with TSBIII Joyner really can rack up the tackles but I have hardly any this season and he's not even listed among the league leaders.

The computer uses the 2pt conversion more (and it makes football sense) but they seem to dive more during a run.

Just some things I've noticed. Anyone else play this game?

I haven't played TSB II much but I remember it being slightly harder overall, especially in areas where TSB III was easy to handle. That got me to think that maybe I thought it was hard because I was playing it like TSB III instead of TSB II. I think every edition of TSB is slightly different and might need to be played in a particular way that maximizes your performance. So it just might be that you haven't gotten used to it since you've been playing TSB III so dang much!

Or maybe TSB II is just harder... :x

I finished my Cardinals season and I think I've figured it out. When two players are grappling and another engages them, the odd man out always gets thrown.

For example, on a punt I decided to take a guy and just run him through the guys on the line. It was like a hot knife through butter - I threw 4 opposing players aside like rag dolls.

This makes the running game particularly hard. Linebackers trying to get at the ball carrier can just slice through the line as if nobody was there, thus freeing up not only himself but the lineman from his team. I swear half my carries with Hearst were for a loss.

• 2 weeks later...

The major differences I noticed btn. II and III are double-teaming, like Eric mentioned, and the speed - TSBII seems slightly slower.

Double-teaming, where two guys always beat one, really makes the game more defensive to me. Stopping runs btn. the tackles is simple, and collapsing the pocket is also easy - just run a LB into a DL struggling with an offensive lineman.

Once I played a '94 season game with the Dolphins against the Steelers. The final score: 3-0. I had only 87 total yards, but luckily I held Pitt to only 50 or so. Then again, maybe I just suck . . . :x

Hi Kork, welcome to the board.

No, you don't suck. It really is a harder game. I like it. I almost lost a regular season game yesterday.

Two questions for anyone:

1. Do I get to pick what season to use in season mode? I can't figure out how to change years except in preseason.

2. What happens when you win the three straight Super Bowls?

You can pick your season and nothing happens when you win three straight super bowls. It's a bit tricky to do so I'll check into exactly how to do it when I have some console time.

:x Actually, I read somewhere that TSB II (note how remarkable similar to TSB 1 for SNES) was a 'beta prototype' for TSB III Final Ed. the reason it was a beta is... they took TSB for SNES and refitted the game with newer rosters and the most important part "the new game engine/graphics". They only sold it as a "limited edition" to gauge, how well it would sell, and see what features worked and which ones didnt. Using feedback from the release they finally compiles TSB III. After the TSB II release, they decided the multiple season rosters didnt work out well, and just included 1 yr roster and added the FA mode and the expansion teams to make building a team slightly easier in the Final Ed. Just as you said...this game also had timing / gameplay issues... they adjusted & added a few new player abilitys. (check the player profiles, i think they added 2 bars.)

• 6 months later...

sao123,

That makes perfect sense. It does kind of feel like that now that you mention it. Personally i prefer TSB II for two reasons:

1. It has the 3 different rosters. Now i can play with some of my old favourite players who wer missing in TSB for the SNES

2. It is harder. Offense is just way too easy in TSB III

• 2 years later...

Maybe there's something wrong with the TSB II version I downloaded from this site but I just won the superbowl and this whole thing of winning three in a row came up. I clicked start for the new season but the old display of just winning the superbowl came up. Is there something I'm missing here?

I started playing this for the differences. This whole thing of not being able to trade players, no FA's makes TSB III much better. Although it just gets too eay in TSB III in the long run, in TSB III I won 7 straight superbowls with the Broncos. And in TSB II I barely made it in losing my last 4 as a 9-7 wild card beating Montana's Chiefs wo also made it in as a 9-7 team. Making it all the way was great, just wish I could make trades or add FA's to improve the lack luster running game, I mean Leonard Russel for a starting RB Yikes!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I got my cart in the mail yesterday & all I got to say is TSBII is the greatest of all the Tecmo's IMHO. I totally dig the 3 year mode & love the fact that the computer is a decent challenge (I've won the 1st 4 games of my 92 season by 35 or more but it's still noticably harder than I or III)

Is it just me or is it way easier to get decent yardage on Punt & Kick off returns on II as compared to III?

It seems like the Comp in II plays a much better game than III. In III I always out rush everyone by a ton but thru game 4 of the 92 season I have the 3rd leading rusher. Plus I like that the comp's D can defend the outside run, It seemed like whenever I could get the edge in III I would break off 15+ yard carries but in II that isn't always the case.

If I ever get a PSP I'd love to get a rom of this installed on it w/ the only change being adding all of the missing names.

• 1 year later...

I like TSB II, because it feels more like a real football game.

It seems like in TSB III, the scores are always ridiculously high 55 - 200...while it does happen in TSB II, usually it is against a really bad team. Usually, if you play tough opponents, the scores are more in the range of real NFL games, especially if the other side has modified players. It seems like the coaching (A.I.) is much more aware of scenarios and teams seem to actually tougher as the season goes along, as the COM seems to be more able to stop the run, slow down the pass, get to QB, get turnovers, and manage the game really well. I even remember one time I had high flying circus offense averaging in the mid 80s against powder puff teams, then I came up against a modified Chicago Bears team and they held me to something, like 6 points.

• 3 months later...

II versus III... Hmm. That's tough. I dig music playing while i play (at least for a little while), and canned semi-unidentifiable crowd noises get annoying fast. Being able to change field types is cool. Three years mode? - Doesn't really matter. So what? I can play three consecutive years. Now, if there was the added variable of free agency to cover during those three years... I like being able to create custom players too - all the boys from my hood were in the game thank to that nifty little feature.

See it makes it sound like i'm loading it for III. I'm not trying to come off that way. I think it's all the little 'additives' that make III good; the fields, the created players, two extra teams, free agency, unlockable legends. But on the flip side, i think it's in gameplay where II excels; specifically not as much of those dumbass spin or jump moves players who are godlike get to do during any time they have the ball. Plus the fact i don't have nearly as much glitching going on in II than in III. Course, the glitches are amusing in their own right.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I like the screen shots alot better than TSB3, but the music and the voices of the qb is horrible. If TSB2 had a manager where you can edit rosters, then I would play it alot more. I spend most of my time on TSB3, after hours of roster editing, I am pleased with the results. For example, they left out Terrell Davis which was a rookie who did extremely well. Curtis Martin was another rookie left out who did pretty good too.

• 10 months later...

I have both SNES cartrige versions and tsb 2 is a little more difficult than 3 ; but only by so much. On tecmo bowl 3 average offensive players are pretty damn good compared to average players on tsb2. I can get 250-300+ passing yards with Jeff Hostetler on tsb3; but on tsb2 with pretty much the same attributes he over throws the ball more and finishes the game with like only 190+ yards per game. Having star players on your team is more important on tsb2 than 3. Stopping the offense on tsb2 is easier to me becuase I just run my LB into a DL and I have pretty much an automatic blitz. Stopping the pass is only hard when you play agiants teams that have a solid QB and WR tandom and you dont have good enough secondary. The QBs react more quickly on tsb2 and throw to the open reciever more often. I played againts S.F. in my first game and Steve young killed us with passes to rice and Jones, even when I blitzed the play. Young had over 300+ yards but loss to my Raiders 40-12. I had over 100yrds rushing though. The computer let me run all over them until i gain over 10yrds in a rush then they seem to pick run plays ; but when i gain less than 10 yards on a rush i can keep picking run plays until I get in the red zone then I have to switsh to the pass sometimes.

• 2 months later...
sao123,

That makes perfect sense. It does kind of feel like that now that you mention it. Personally i prefer TSB II for two reasons:

1. It has the 3 different rosters. Now i can play with some of my old favourite players who wer missing in TSB for the SNES

2. It is harder. Offense is just way too easy in TSB III

I have both games and TSb2 is way easier than TSB3. Im in a season on both 2 and 3 and the only diff is the offense and defense in both games. I have had way more close calls on tsb3 than on 2. I can use the most sorry defense on tsb2 and shut down teams like dallas and S.F. If I picked a team with a garbage defense on tsb3 I would get crushed. Now offensively TSb3 is way to easy though unless you play dallas or pittsburgh sometimes.

I got my cart in the mail yesterday & all I got to say is TSBII is the greatest of all the Tecmo's IMHO. I totally dig the 3 year mode & love the fact that the computer is a decent challenge (I've won the 1st 4 games of my 92 season by 35 or more but it's still noticably harder than I or III)

Is it just me or is it way easier to get decent yardage on Punt & Kick off returns on II as compared to III?

It seems like the Comp in II plays a much better game than III. In III I always out rush everyone by a ton but thru game 4 of the 92 season I have the 3rd leading rusher. Plus I like that the comp's D can defend the outside run, It seemed like whenever I could get the edge in III I would break off 15+ yard carries but in II that isn't always the case.

If I ever get a PSP I'd love to get a rom of this installed on it w/ the only change being adding all of the missing names.

The only reason tsb2 is harder to rush on is becuase players can run through other players to tackle you and the speed is slower. I also notice that during a seson on tsb3 the reciever rankings are rediculous it seems that certain recievers average 7 catches per game. There are always multiple W.R. that have 100+ catches every season. In 4 games on TSB3 W.R. have like 29-35 catches compared to TSB2 which only have about 15-20 catches.

• 8 months later...

I am in love with this game, downloaded the ROM last night and started a 1992 season with Tampa Bay, and there is huge differences. On TSB I for SNES, I could totally dominate on defense by rushing with Broderick Thomas. On TSB III the Tampa defense is pretty average (with the exception of Warren Sapp) yet you don't have much trouble, except for heavy run teams. On TSB II, they are scrubby like the real 1992 Buc's were and it's much more difficult to dominate with them. I averagely have had up and down games. One week I give up 100 rushing yards and only 12 passing yards, next week I hold GB to 4 rushing yards total and give up 230 from Favre, next week I hold Gannon to 100 passing yards but get down right shredded by the run game. I may be 3-0 but all 3 of those wins have been close calls so far.

I am not ready to crown this game the best or my favorite Tecmo yet (Still have to play with my Saints, then the 49ers offense, my Brownies to see Kosar throwing bombs) but I like it a lot better than I do TSB III for it's extreme difficulty. Average back up in TSB III for example Matt Blundin or Casey Weldon. I won an MVP, and Super Bowl with back up Matt Bludin putting up a godly 92% completion against Dallas. When I used Weldon over Dilfer I threw 76% for 16 TDs and only 3 INT before he got injured in 6 games. A back up in TSB II is not going to put up those kind of numbers.