TSB 50-Yard Field

jstout

This is a test rom I created and figured someone might like it.

The rom is the original with the field modified to 50 yards in length with all locations like kickoffs adjusted to Arena spots and there is no punting (not even an option to). Being a test, the field isn't drawn with a midfield logo (I'll put it there if there is enough interest in the rom) and there may have been things I missed.

Let me know if you like the rom or not. I expect this and want honest opinions either way. Also if you find a glitch please let me know, thanks in advance.

Edit: Version 1.1 has touchbacks changed from the 20 to the 5 yardlines and the kickoff lengths modified.

Arena_Field_v1.1.zip

It looks to be pretty good, although touchbacks should be at the 5, not the 20, and nearly all kickoffs should be to the other teams' 5 at the shortest.

And I would also like to see a 200 yard field. :)

Thanks for the input.

I changed the touchbacks to the 5 yardline as this makes a lot more sense. I also modified the kickoff code so the kicks cross midfield ranging from the 15 to the back of the endzone (most human kicks should be to the 5 or deeper).

one thing unique and this happened with a game while i was testing I onside kick and the ball bounced twice then the KR literally zoomed up to return the kick. He looked like he was speed or something.

I love the rom and transfered the rosters from the Tafl onto it. I could probably get the rosters done by mid week. If so can you finish the graphics jstout? midfield logo and the helmets?

one thing unique and this happened with a game while i was testing I onside kick and the ball bounced twice then the KR literally zoomed up to return the kick. He looked like he was speed or something.

I love the rom and transfered the rosters from the Tafl onto it. I could probably get the rosters done by mid week. If so can you finish the graphics jstout? midfield logo and the helmets?

Was it the 1 or 1.1 that had that? I don't remember seeing the KR even get close to a normal onside when I tested. But I do understand since the kicks were shorter than the original I boosted the KR so he caught the short ones, since the new rom no longer requires that then I'll set him back to normal speed or just enough to field the normal kickoffs.

Yeah I won't have any problems doing the graphics. Just let me have details on what needs to be.

If would be better if the players on the field will reduce from 11 to 8 and playing both offense and defense. But that's impossible.

Not impossible and has already been achieved, the problem being is that none of the original plays work. My official rom that I'm working on has offense ready to start the process of adjusting and the defense isn't ready, so I'm not done with that part. The 50 yard field was a test rom to see if it was worth my time to make it happen and if I did then would people want to play it.

As far as the rom. Should I wait til you have the 8 player rom up and working and go from there or just use verson 1.1?

This will be sweet!

I would use 1.1 for the time being. I'd be willing to give you a sneak peak if you want to make a decision. My rom is being worked on in conjunction with a "non real" online indoor league so all the players are fake and indoor football has more running then arena so they are using all 4 run slots.

I've seen punts kicked in arena football. It's very rare but if a team gets stopped like inside the 10 they sometimes take the option of punting.

By the way, how do you adjust the kickoff distance? Can you make an ips patch? I'd like to use this for every rom I play so the computer doesn't make kicks to the 30-yd-line.

Great work, by the way.

I've seen punts kicked in arena football. It's very rare but if a team gets stopped like inside the 10 they sometimes take the option of punting.

By the way, how do you adjust the kickoff distance? Can you make an ips patch? I'd like to use this for every rom I play so the computer doesn't make kicks to the 30-yd-line.

Great work, by the way.

That hasn't been allowed anywhere on the 50-yard field since the IFL allowed it in 2000. Teams can drop kick, but you may as well just attempt the place kick or go for it.

Now obviously, I don't know nearly enough to be a good bug tester, but I can say this:

Even with the eleven men on the field, the game has the feel of an indoor football game. Down to the wire, high scoring, just an exciting game.

And it hasn't frozen or done anything weird in the three games I've played.

Two NE and one CLE loss to San Francisco.

an Indoor-ism: Grogan completed 26% of his passes for 99 yards and four picks, but the Pats only lost 48-31 (other scores were SF53-44NE and SF55-54CLE)

The following snippet is how the rom handles kicking length (x2A534 to x2A53E):

LDA $44 /* Low Value of Kicking Meter */
CLC
ADC #$D8 /* Add Kicking Power to Low Value (increasing can causes kick s out of endzone) */
TAY
LDA $45 /* High Value of Kicking Meter */
ADC #$00 /* If Kicking Power + Low Value goes over xFF then add 1 to High Value */
TAX

For the rom, I rewrote this code to alter the values to get the proper length I needed.

I'll try and create an IPS Patch for what you want but I'll need to test some values to get the proper min and max distances.

JStout, did you have to move around any of the commonly-edited hex locations. I mean, will all the editors and docs still be valid?

Nothing was moved so all the editors and documentation will still work. I did have to write a small code snippet for the kickoffs but it is in empty space that no current editor touches.