LE - Howie Long, Los Angeles

LB - Carl Banks, New York

LB - Fredd Young, Seattle

LB - Mike Singletary, Chicago

LB - Lawrence Taylor, New York

CB - Hanford Dixon, cleveland

FS - Ronnie Lott, San Francisco

no 2nd team nominees?

There are a handful of stand out lineman on the game...thier names escape me. bears have 1, colts have 2(i think) and perhaps the vikes had a pan-caker as well.

overall a 2nd team would be fairly close in talent, just not as deep.

obviously the offense would be about as talented. on defense thwere would be a few holes, but only at about 2 positions.

based on playbook a 2nd team could hang with the big boys im sure.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My ULTIMATE TB TEAM

qb marino

rb dickerson (if i had the 2 rb team bo would be the other)

wr top rice

wr bottom a.carter

te bavaro

ol irwin,stephen,hilgenberg,solt

dl m.carter,long,DOLEMAN

lb l.taylor, singletary,mecklenberg,banks

db lott,duerson

k biasucci

p landeta

kr gentry

• 4 months later...

Look, if you're going to title a thread "utimate" Tecmo team then you expect to see just THE BEST at their respective positions. From one persons' point of view. Hence no "second team" so stop worrying about that. We ain't askin for the next in line... :)

I see nothing wrong with JB's lineup. But because of the nature of the original Tecmo Bowl, the Olinemen really don't matter too much and interestingly enough neither do the money positions (namely the WRs & TEs). The game is so basic in its' makeup that only game glitches get you incompletions. That means any WR can be interchangeable because the game also makes every defensive player faster than every offensive player. It almost means that QBs can also be interchangeable but there a couple on the game that are slug-slow while a couple can motor. And the RB you can probably put Roger Craig or Joe Morris in place of Bo or Walter as well. But that's a limited change. It depends on your experiences.

Stadawim, what are you talking about with interchangeable WR's/QB's/RB's?

Case in point, the SF crew. Mike Wilson is slow as dirt at the top and Rice is the fastest WR in the game. Repeatedly throwing to an open Rice instead of an open Wilson with a defender in the middle will net you an extra couple yards each time. over the course of a drive that may = an extra 1st down(or more) which in effect can result in getting a FG or not....or even a TD.

Another case in point would be IND's playbook. great pass play routes because the WR's/TE are all spread out, but they are also slow as hell and shortly after making a catch the defender comes back and makes the tackle. You put a Rice or tim Brown in that offense and again, you going to gain a couple extra yards per pass completion on average. Those will add up.

MIA has a set of lack-luster WR's speed wise and it hurts em a little. the difference being Marinos lazer rocket arm that gets the ball there faster than others and it takes an edditional step or 2 for the defense to catch-up.

Roger craig is an alright back, but If you have Jackson or Payton, you can cut back on defenders and if you really juke a guy he loses his acceleration speed they get. From there youve got a decent window to really motor for 7-9 yards if not more.

Now keep in mind that scenario can play out against a real top notch defender....Craig can do some of that, but mostly against the slow slugs on defnse, not on LT or banks.

Speed is key in Tecmo. and as far as O-lineman go, CHI has guy who pancakes dudes with his fkn back turned to them...he comes off the line and parks about 5 yards off the line of scrimage. when you get by the human defender and are off to the races(on a running play) you can alter your path so that it will guide a computer controlled defender right into the back of you pop corn machine line-man.....meaning thats one less guy you have to dodge.

I kinda didn't mean speed so much as whether or not they would catch the ball. In my experiences with teams and players we just had so many INTs because there wasn't a man among us who didn't fall for pass plays. Almost all of us would call a pass play at all times nullifying one and with the MAN coverage dude it almost guaranteed an INT. We got good at reading a pass or run then anticipating the result which lead to the inevitable INTs. So moving was slow at best.