NFL TECMO BOWL 2007

drummer4god

Bush ran the 40 at 4.33

Hester at 4.51

If it was just about speed in kick returns they would have track stars run it. Agility, blocking, and instinct are what make a better kick returner, not cold hard speed.

Absolutely true, just look at Eric Metcalf and Brian Mitchell.

As far as this Devin Hester/Reggie Bush 40 time business...if you think Bush should be faster than Hester because he ran a faster 40 then I guess someone should go adjust Greg Olsen's speed and Vernon Davis's speed. Antonio Gates is faster than both on this ROM and they are probably the two fastest (actual speed and 40 times) TE's in the game.

The point here is Gates got a fast speed because of how effective he is, not because he is really that fast. That is why Hester got the 100 speed rating in Madden, because of how effective he is.

Nothing is wrong with the ratings. I have my own formula for them as i have said. If you want to redo the ratings go ahead but i stand firm by mine period. Just don't rehash it and say it was yours.ok. I worked 5 months on this rom and it plays just fine.

I think the ratings are about as close as you can get. I am very happy with them. this is the preseason version, so of course some players are going to be in the wrong spots, but its about as close as you can get.

I appreciate the time you put in the ROM, and I hear you say you stand behind these ratings, but they aren't solid all around. For instance, you say you went off of Madden 08 for ratings. Why did you make Benson the slowest starting running back on the game? You made Brandon Jacobs for the Giants faster than Benson yet he has the same speed rating in Madden but less acceleration. You made Kevin Jones just a hair faster than those two, but in Madden he has an outstanding speed of 93 and an acceleration of 95. Just wondering where some of these ratings are coming from....

Again, I am not trying to be a pain, just wondering...

I appreciate the time you put in the ROM, and I hear you say you stand behind these ratings, but they aren't solid all around. For instance, you say you went off of Madden 08 for ratings. Why did you make Benson the slowest starting running back on the game? You made Brandon Jacobs for the Giants faster than Benson yet he has the same speed rating in Madden but less acceleration. You made Kevin Jones just a hair faster than those two, but in Madden he has an outstanding speed of 93 and an acceleration of 95. Just wondering where some of these ratings are coming from....

Again, I am not trying to be a pain, just wondering...

Well, to answer for Drummer....he more or less went off of OVERALL rating for the MS. Thats why some players who are slower than others, are rated slightly higher. In TSB, when you are running with the ball, the only attribute that really matters is Maximum Speed. So MS is basically the overall rating. Thats why you see Tomlinson with probabably the highest MS because of his overall rating. If he just did speed vs speed, then players like Michael Bennet would get 3,542 yards rushing when they aren't really that good.

Personally, I like the idea, because in TSB the only rating when running that really matters is MS....in madden you have Speed, Acceleration, Strenght, Agility, Awareness, Carrying, Stamina, Trucking, Elusiveness, Stiff Arm, Spin Move, Juke Move, Footwork, etc.

In madden its more than just speed. In TSB its really not. So, how do you accuratly convert the ratings of madden to TSB?

I think Madden Overall = TSB MS is a good idea for running backs.

Now, for QBs and WRs thats different you can convert the passer speed and accuracy over. And same with WRs you can use MS, but also cathing ability.

I guess I can see partly why it is difficult to port this over to STB. But if you go from Overall to MS then it's never going to be right. Thats because Madden weights different ratings on their overall rating. I could take a RB's pass blocking to 99 and it doesn't do anything to his overall but I could move is awareness up and it's effected dramatically. What I mean by that is that there are backs who can pound the ball, and so they have high strength and maybe break tackles in Madden but that doesn't increase their overall as much as say speed. So you get a RB that is like an 85 to 88. This guy could be a bulldozer but it won't translate into Tecmo because overall is all your going off of. I say you have to look at each back individually. I have simulated three seasons on this new Tecmo and the results are not even close to the real thing. I think the Raiders one the super bowl once and were in the playoffs the other years. The worst record they had was 12-4.....what?

In madden its more than just speed. In TSB its really not. So, how do you accuratly convert the ratings of madden to TSB?

I think Madden Overall = TSB MS is a good idea for running backs.

Other guys in the past have tried this and it just doesn't work. You have to make Tsb adjustments and know exactly what each one means to make a decent rom. I like Larry's formula for Ctl its a good one. I use it and a slight tweak and you have league friendly good rom ratings.

In Madden, how many different attributes does each player have? Maybe 30 or 40? In Tecmo, every player has 4 to 8, and usually only three or four are significant. There's just no good way to consolidate all those Madden numbers into a select few for Tecmo. Even the overall rating isn't very useful because it's just an arbitrary number and doesn't hold any value on its own.

Plus, like someone was saying earlier, Madden ratings really aren't all that accurate to begin with. They give superstar ratings to washed-up veterans and one-year wonders. They make rookie/unproven QBs great even though 90% of them suck in their first season.

In other words, anyone on this board could probably come up with something just as good, or better, as Madden ratings with a little work.

....if you go from Overall to MS then it's never going to be right. Thats because Madden weights different ratings on their overall rating. I could take a RB's pass blocking to 99 and it doesn't do anything to his overall but I could move is awareness up and it's effected dramatically. What I mean by that is that there are backs who can pound the ball, and so they have high strength and maybe break tackles in Madden but that doesn't increase their overall as much as say speed....This guy could be a bulldozer but it won't translate into Tecmo because overall is all your going off of...I say you have to look at each back individually.......I have simulated three seasons on this new Tecmo and the results are not even close to the real thing....I think the Raiders one the super bowl once and were in the playoffs the other years. The worst record they had was 12-4.....what?

Well, for the RBs there is hitting power. that can be used for blocking and those bulldozer backs. like Christian Okoye and Tony Paige from back in the day. There is a program that changes the teams SIM to make them better or worse during sims. That might be off. I'll check when I get a chance later. There is a way to turn the raiders down a little bit and increase some of the teams like NE and INDY who should be doing well every season.

...anyone on this board could probably come up with something just as good, or better, as Madden ratings with a little work.

That might be, but if a large corporation has already spent money and man hours to develop a system that is already in place, why not use it? No system created by a person or a large corporation is going to be perfect. If you feel that you could do better...by all means...nothing is stopping you. But, why recreate the wheel for the 12 people who visit this site weekly?

....I think Madden Overall = TSB MS is a good idea for running backs....

Exactly as I said earlier....and actually, I think they used that theory when the original tecmo bowl was created. Because if you think about it. Bo Jackson was the best running back that year and he had a 75 MS. Other backs who were also great, but a step below were 69s. But, Bo Jackson was by far not the FASTEST back in the game during 1991. There were other backs that were faster, but not overall.

I guess I can see partly why it is difficult to port this over to STB. But if you go from Overall to MS then it's never going to be right. Thats because Madden weights different ratings on their overall rating. I could take a RB's pass blocking to 99 and it doesn't do anything to his overall but I could move is awareness up and it's effected dramatically. What I mean by that is that there are backs who can pound the ball, and so they have high strength and maybe break tackles in Madden but that doesn't increase their overall as much as say speed. So you get a RB that is like an 85 to 88. This guy could be a bulldozer but it won't translate into Tecmo because overall is all your going off of. I say you have to look at each back individually. I have simulated three seasons on this new Tecmo and the results are not even close to the real thing. I think the Raiders one the super bowl once and were in the playoffs the other years. The worst record they had was 12-4.....what?

Sim ratings are different from in game attributes (for the 9 millionth time), although the Raider players are rated way too high. And Aaron Brooks isn't even on the team anymore. Russell should have 69ps 44pc at the most. I'm a Raider fan and that's about as good as he'll be this year, being on a team that has essentially had to start over. He won't be worth what drummer gave him at least for another year or two.

Drummer, I think most of the ratings are too high, which was my point about Madden. I think when you do a TSB rom Madden should be avoided, it doesn't translate well. You can't give Devin Hester high MS just because he can return kicks, because then you can just make him your featured RB and get 5000 yards for the season.

You have 14 RBs with 63ms or higher. That's just stupid. You made Reggie Bush better than Jerry Rice, not to mention Tomlinson. Umm, what? Reggie Bush averaged 3.6 YPC last year. He should not have 75ms. 69rec is fine, but his ms should be 44-50 tops. McAllister is still the featured RB on the Saints. I was going to ignore this thread because I remember a lot of people saying all this stuff about your roms last year, but every time I come on some Madden fan is praising you. I couldn't contain myself any longer.

The ratings on this rom are just bad.

Thx philly for standing up for my rom. Every rom i have ever made people have tried to destroy it. And why? Because they don't agree with the ratings. That's sad. I put 5 long months into this rom,and posted how i came to the numbers. If you don't like the rom delete it from your hd. If you like it play it. It's that simple. I think next year when i make my 08 rom i'm not going to post it. I'll just give it to ppl who ask for it,and dont try to dismantle it.

No, no, don't take all this personal. I think it's great what you've done. I was checking the site day and night for the ROM. I was just curious on some of the rating methods. Basically I just played it with a couple different teams and noticed their back was horrible. Like Cedric Benson. I couldn't rush for more than 50 yards a game by midseason. Which brings me to another point, are the defenses stepped up a notch?

Thx philly for standing up for my rom. Every rom i have ever made people have tried to destroy it. And why? Because they don't agree with the ratings. That's sad. I put 5 long months into this rom,and posted how i came to the numbers. If you don't like the rom delete it from your hd. If you like it play it. It's that simple. I think next year when i make my 08 rom i'm not going to post it. I'll just give it to ppl who ask for it,and dont try to dismantle it.

Yes, you got me there. I downloaded your rom, but I felt so threatened by its greatness that I felt the need to destroy it. Actually, all I did was delete it from my hard drive, but it still felt so satisfying. Destroy all roms!

I like alot of the ratings but some are questionable and I am going to bring up the team. Cleveland in partic some of your WRs are over rated. Joe J who will always be one of my favs a 63 rec? 13 games he caught 40 passes.

Tim Carter 44-56 speedwise 11.3 avg and yac under 2?

Josh Cribbs 44-69???? 9.1 avg decent yac but he only caught 10 passes.

I am a Buc fan and when I rate I could go all homer but this is an awful display of homerism. The only 1 I agree 100% is your ratings for Braylon caught alot of passes, has a great average and yac.

Explain the other mega ratings for the other Wrs. Is it hope?

No, no, don't take all this personal. I think it's great what you've done. I was checking the site day and night for the ROM. I was just curious on some of the rating methods. Basically I just played it with a couple different teams and noticed their back was horrible. Like Cedric Benson. I couldn't rush for more than 50 yards a game by midseason. Which brings me to another point, are the defenses stepped up a notch?

you pretty much have to step up the D from the original. Something like 70% of all defensive players on the original have speed ratings of 25rs/31rp/38ms or lower. This is one of the good things about this rom. Besides, the offenses are so pumped up the D had better match or it would be completely unplayable.

i like the rom and think its awesome. still waiting for the jets version though. in regards to the ratings, if you want realness- watch the nfl tv, dont play tecmo superbowl on NINTENDO. its an 8 bit game for christs sake, stop being so fucking anal. if you like it, play it or if you dont like it make your own, or shut the hell up.

I have my own formula for making these ratings,but all the numbers are from the original. I used original rom ratings numbers,but i used my formula to give players number i thought they should have at each ms hp ms etc.... Hope you all enjoy this rom!

in regards to the ratings, if you want realness- watch the nfl tv, dont play tecmo superbowl on NINTENDO. its an 8 bit game for christs sake, stop being so fucking anal. if you like it, play it or if you dont like it make your own, or shut the hell up.

That is the reason why people complain about drummer4god's ratings. His ratings are not like the original and that is why there are complaints...

some notes on the Chiefs:

Croyle is most likely the starter, not Huard. He throws bullets, not lobs, but should get picked a lot.

Get rid of Rod Gardner and replace him with Jeff Webb or Ean Randolph (PR).

LG is Brian Waters, not Brian Walters. Guy is a perrenial Pro-Bowler, come on.

Justin Medlock is black, not white.

I would replace William Kershaw with Kendrell Bell, despite the depth chart. Bell will see the field on 3rd down as a situational pass rusher, Kershaw is a STer at best.

Sammy Knight was cut and Wesley is about to be traded. Definitely not in contention for starter. Replace them with Jarrad Page and Bernard Pollard respectively. Give Pollard a nice HP, his nickname is bonecrusher.

Other than that, looks solid. Not sure how to weigh in on the ratings. Thanks, and good luck.

You show me 1 number outside of the original rom numbers. Ppl dont read the whole post..again. Wr's speed was based on actual spped and receptions by their overall rating. I really dont give a rat's hinny,if some don't like my rom apparenty some do and have defended my rom. And i thank them for that. Now this was done while final rosters are being made in the NFL. And i know i made some mistakes on ratings but i am going back and looking at them as we speak. But to, Mr. beef josh cribbs the returner for the browns is FAST and so he is on the rom,BUT his rect's are very low. That's why i rated the wr's and db's on actual speed and overall for rectp's. Some don't like my ratings,some will it's a tecmo world! But if you don't stop doggin my rom to death i will bring my lancer from gears of war and chainsaw you in half! Because to me average looks a lil like a locust! lol just enjoy a new rom guys,ok.

....Wr's speed was based on actual spped and receptions by their overall rating.....That's why i rated the wr's and db's on actual speed and overall for rectp's....

I think if the goal is to convert madden ratings to TSB ratings it doesn't get much better than what you have. Let's clarify....so it looks kinda like this right?

Position = Madden Skill = TSB Skill

RB = Overall = MS

WR = Speed = Speed

WR = Overall = Catching

DB = Speed = Speed

DB = Overall = Catching

QB = Pass Speed = PS

QB = Pass Accuracy = Pass Accuracy

FB = Blocking Power = Hitting Power