NCAA BCS 2006 version 1.1

If anyone is still interested in last year's NCAA, this rom is completely done, with graphics, rosters, ratings, etc. AND NOW THANKS TO JSTOUT THE LARGE HELMETS ARE DONE! Also changed the dates on the schedule and cleaned up a couple of minor mistakes. The first 14 weeks are Saturday's date, week 15 is Sat. Dec. 23 which was right in the middle of the bowls, week 16 is all bowls played on Jan. 1, and week 17 is the three games played on Jan. 2 or after, including OSU-FLA.

There are two roms here: one has a normal cpu, one has a juiced cpu. They are identical except for that.

There still might be a couple of other glitches, so if you see anything wierd or if you have any criticisms or questions, please let me know.

Features/hacks:

faster int and fumble returns

more accurate and shorter FGs

shorter punts

average BC is much higher (but no hack has been done to affect fumbles)

avg. defensive players are faster and have higher HP, up to 81hp.

QB PC max is 69

RB MS max is 63

most other ratings are on a similar scale as the original.

Enjoy and please post any and all comments. I would especially like to know what some of the vets think of this (bruddog, soby, jstout, etc.). thanks.

downloaded 92 times before new version was uploaded.

tecmo ncaa bcs 1-1.zip

two more things i wanted to mention. First: I didn't do individual sim stats, just hit autosim, so those will likely be off. After I clicked autosim, I did do team sim stats for both offense and defense, based on AP rank, YPG, and points per game. So for example Virginia Tech got a 5 in offense and a 12 in defense, and Hawaii got a 9 in offense and a 2 on defense. This should make the best teams get into the playoffs when you sim a season. Just for an idea of what that might be, here are the top 10 ranked teams according to AP and the sim values I gave them:

FL 11/14

OSU 12/13

LSU 11/13

USC 10/10

Boise 12/11

Lou 13/9

Wis 9/13

Mich 9/11

Aub 7/10

WV 12/6

Second: the schedule. The college schedule is 14 weeks long, including byes and conference championships. I eliminated byes and scheduled 14 games a week for 14 weeks. Weeks 15-17 are Bowl games, so the schedule is 15 games long. Games that were actually played are on the schedule in the week they were played. In addition, teams in the same conference play each other twice, with the Mountain West as part of the Big East, WAC as part of the PAC-10, and ND as part of the Big 10. Other than conference games, I just tried to make good match-ups. (Boise vs. Florida, etc.)

Sure, I'll make some comments, after a brief look:

-Small helmets graphics look good.

-Big helmets would be cool to do. I know that you want to do the whole thing on your own, but some of the teams on your rom have been in TCS (college league that I run) and you might want to use those if you are thinking about doing big helmets. You could at least use them as a guide. Teams that we have used throughout all 8 seasons are on the History Page. I have all the roms from every season and I could send you some if it interests you.

-Not sure how I feel about BC and HP being so high for RBs. But it has been my experience that BC seems to be effected very little by attribute changes, so either way, probably won't matter much.

-A 50 MS QB is a bit excessive, but otherwise, most positions seem pretty close to the original. I don't know much about actual college players, but it looks pretty good.

-Cap for PC and MS is a good idea.

-No modified playbooks. :lol:

Sure, I'll make some comments, after a brief look:

-Small helmets graphics look good.

-Big helmets would be cool to do. I know that you want to do the whole thing on your own, but some of the teams on your rom have been in TCS (college league that I run) and you might want to use those if you are thinking about doing big helmets. You could at least use them as a guide. Teams that we have used throughout all 8 seasons are on the History Page. I have all the roms from every season and I could send you some if it interests you.

Thanks, I would actually love it if someone would volunteer to do all the large helmets. Someone else had said they would but then forgot about it, which is why it's not done. If I do it myself I am using Rose Bowl 2k2 as a guide, but I will let you know if I need any teams not on those roms.

-Not sure how I feel about BC and HP being so high for RBs. But it has been my experience that BC seems to be effected very little by attribute changes, so either way, probably won't matter much.

High RB HP is my personal preference, I like popcorning :lol: However, it is based strictly on player height and weight, which is why Jamarcus Russell has 38hp and some WRs have 19 or 25hp.

BC is based on Bruddog's BC/Fum% chart. In general, starters were done on an individual basis and backups were given a team rating if they never actually fumbled. Most teams fumble a little more than 2.4% of the time, which is an 81bc according to bruddog's chart. The players you see with 94bc fumbled less than 2% of the time. I think I gave a couple of players 100bc if they had more than 100 touches and fumbled less than 1% of the time. I did go all the way down to 19bc if a player fumbled more than 6.3% of the time. That could even be a player that fumbled only once but had less than 16 touches.

-A 50 MS QB is a bit excessive...

You're probably right. I like playing with a QB Eagles type every now and again, and Pat White fit the mold perfectly. I did give him lower PS and PC than I otherwise would have so he's not superman, though (44/50).

Thanks, I would actually love it if someone would volunteer to do all the large helmets. Someone else had said they would but then forgot about it, which is why it's not done. If I do it myself I am using Rose Bowl 2k2 as a guide, but I will let you know if I need any teams not on those roms.

I can send the logos that to you if you want to insert them yourself. Just let me know.

EDITED the post now that I'm definitely sure that I have all the teams for your rom

I can send the logos that to you if you want to insert them yourself. Just let me know.

EDITED the post now that I'm definitely sure that I have all the teams for your rom

I'm not sure how to insert large helmets. I thought you had to use the large helmet editor and draw the logos yourself? That I can do, it will just take time. Can you drag the logos from one rom to another? If you can tell me how to insert them it would be much appreciated.

I'm not sure how to insert large helmets. I thought you had to use the large helmet editor and draw the logos yourself? That I can do, it will just take time. Can you drag the logos from one rom to another? If you can tell me how to insert them it would be much appreciated.

Ok, I can handle it though I likely don't have time today. Tomorrow morning for sure I can copy and paste the graphics and current images from a rom I have to yours and then I just need to change 2 teams which should go fast. Then swap around the pointers and change the colors which is just a few minute job.

Ok, I can handle it though I likely don't have time today. Tomorrow morning for sure I can copy and paste the graphics and current images from a rom I have to yours and then I just need to change 2 teams which should go fast. Then swap around the pointers and change the colors which is just a few minute job.

Oh, if you just want to do it yourself that's cool. How do you copy and paste the graphics, though? Do you use the large helmet editor?

Oh, if you just want to do it yourself that's cool. How do you copy and paste the graphics, though? Do you use the large helmet editor?

In this case, I would just copy the graphics and sections with designs with a hex editor and paste it into your rom then alter the pointers so the right teams have the right logos. I would only use the helmet editor for touchups that I'm too lazy to do by hand.

In more advanced cases, I would use a tile editor to import my graphic and then place in the rom. Then I would use a hex editor or the helmet editor to situate the tiles.

You can change actual graphics with a hex editor? I thought you could only move existing graphics around. That is, if it's not actually drawn somwhere in the rom you can't create it. I know for the small helmets I drew them in nesticle, then moved them around with the hex editor so they were all in the right places. I thought the large helmets were the same idea?

jstout, did you create these helmet designs originally? If not, do you know who did? I want to give proper credit in my next release, which will also include correcting a few minor mistakes unrelated to the large helmets. thanks.

All the large helmet logos were originally drawn and inserted by myself.

I have a graphic file that I throw my logos up on for storage that I pass around from time to time to people and they are all visible for those that have it.

jstout, did you create these helmet designs originally? If not, do you know who did? I want to give proper credit in my next release, which will also include correcting a few minor mistakes unrelated to the large helmets. thanks.

All the large helmet logos were originally drawn and inserted by myself.

I have a graphic file that I throw my logos up on for storage that I pass around from time to time to people and they are all visible for those that have it.

cool, any chance I could have a look at that file? The NTL needs a decent logo that will look good at midfield. Maybe I can steal, ahem, borrow something from you that is not being widely used on other roms :)

I doubt their is anything good for midfield in this as most are normal helmet logos. This isn't everything I've done as some stuff I lost or never got to around putting on this. The colors aren't necessarily accurate just there so I could tell what the design is.

post-2320-13413724962616_thumb.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Looks like a great Rom, looked through my team Nebraska close, only thing off was Carriker is black instead of white. Ratings look good. It would be great if we could get someone to update the rosters for 2007. Does anybody have anything in the works? I might give it a try if I can find some time.

• 2 weeks later...
Looks like a great Rom, looked through my team Nebraska close, only thing off was Carriker is black instead of white. Ratings look good. It would be great if we could get someone to update the rosters for 2007. Does anybody have anything in the works? I might give it a try if I can find some time.

that's so weird, i have no idea how that happened. I spent about a week on faces alone, I mean not just on getting the race right but trying to match up Tecmo faces to the player's real pictures. All I can think of is maybe I forgot to save before closing his picture on TSBM. Because I remember his face, too, believe it or not.

Be warned that if you save this rom in TSBM it will cause some misspellings throughout the rom, and the divisions will revert to "east" "central" "west" in some places. Doesn't affect gameplay or graphics at all, it's just annoying - also easily fixable with a hex editor.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been very interested in the college roms ever since playing the first Rose Bowl. When I saw this new rom, I immediately downloaded and played after work.

I did play about 8 games and I have a couple of comments:

you mentioned shortening punts. did this also shorten the distance of cpu punts as well?

I did notice that the cpu does not seem to pin me deep in my own territory as much making it a little easier against the cpu. for me part of the fun is those booming punts and the ensuing long drive after being pinned deep in my territory.

Also, one of the versions (maybe 2002?) had a shorter schedule 12 or 13 games (some weeks only 1 game scheduled i.e. more byes.) and the standard tecmo playoff at the end. that would be the format I would have chosen. No big deal though.

Other than that I do appreciate all of the hard work that went into this rom, overall a job well done!

• 2 weeks later...

not sure about the errors, I pm'ed you aggie.

about the punts, yeah the cpu's punts are also shorter. If you can use a hex editor just follow the directions in the first post of this thread to make punt distance whatever you want: http://www.tecmobowl.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4485

I think the patch set it to 70, which is about 20 yards min and 68 yards max.

• 1 month later...

This rom is great- I can see the hard work that went into making it- even faces got attention payed to them.

Attached is the old rom with some roster updates to most of the Big 10 (Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Illinois (which replaces Notre Dame)) and to some of the SEC (Florida, Georgia, LSU).

I don't know how to change the helmets, so Illinois still gets ND's helment, since it took ND's spot.

Names, races and jersey numbers should all be accurate. I tried to get faces sort of right for everyone but the O-Line.

Since I'm an Illinois fan, I haven't seen much SEC football so I'm not up to date on who the latest defensive stars there are. Well, besides Dorsey.

Ratings are guided by awards and stats (especially overall defense for defensive players and sacks taken and team rushing YPC for O-line) and my guesswork. I tried to keep QB MS down (the legitimate running threats Tim Tebow and Juice Williams have 31) and CB HP under control so that WRs can actually sustain their blocks. Backup Tailbacks have MS less than or equal to the starting Tailback's MS, similarly most backup WRs have MS less than or equal to the slowest starter's MS. Backup WRs have REC ratings of no less than 38. Ball Control is bumped way up like the original, but I don't know where to get fumble data so everyone gets good BC.

The only weird stuff happening with rosters is that Garrett Graham of Wisconsin, a very undersized TE, is lined up at WR4. Jeff Cumberland of Illinois converted from TE to WR during the season and gets the fourth starting WR spot.

If anyone (especially non-Big 10 fans) has suggestions or helpful criticism, I'd welcome that.

If you want to update another conference, that's cool too.

tecmo ncaa 07 bcs draft.zip