adjust tecmo super bowl game clock

wi77iam

• 1 month later...

people recommend 7, if i recall correctly. never did it myself. original rom ratings with longer time would be stupid. I've been sort of contemplating making a rom with 15 minute quarters and vastly reduced ratings so you really get something close to how an NFL game moves. Max RB ms at 44 or something, with most guys at 38 or 31. something to get around 4.5-5.0 YPC instead of 10-15.

I've been sort of contemplating making a rom with 15 minute quarters and vastly reduced ratings so you really get something close to how an NFL game moves.

would you slow the game clock down to be more accurate?

I think it would be pretty hard to get the passing game down to 6-7 yards per attempt. Plus one of the nice things about tecmo is that a game can be completed in a relatively short amount of time.

people recommend 7, if i recall correctly. never did it myself. original rom ratings with longer time would be stupid. I've been sort of contemplating making a rom with 15 minute quarters and vastly reduced ratings so you really get something close to how an NFL game moves. Max RB ms at 44 or something, with most guys at 38 or 31. something to get around 4.5-5.0 YPC instead of 10-15.

0x222A5 is the nmi timer reload value. it gets reloaded to #$14 (#20) everytime the "seconds" variable ($41) is decreased (actually when X==#00). the timer is held entirely in the X register but gets preserved on the stack during function calls. it gets decremented every frame sometime between scanlines 8 and 20.

the nes ppu renders ~60fps so change the reload value to #$3C (#60) to get a more realistic clock.

• 4 weeks later...

first experiment with 15 real minutes a quarter is a failure. I used the Giants to play SF in the first week on a juiced rom. I cut Simms' 63pc to 38 and Montana's 81 to 44. 50ms became 31, 69ms became 50, 81rec down to 63, 56 to 38, etc. I also cut all defensive speed ratings by one notch with a min of 25/31/38 so LT wouldn't get 100 sacks in one game, but I boosted all DL by 2 notches of HP and LBs by one notch of HP to further limit the running game. It didn't work. Even with Anderson and Meggett down to 31ms I could still get a first down in 2 or 3 downs, and the CPU was pretty much able to keep pace with me. Before the first quarter was over the score was 46-34.

guess this isn't really feasible.

• 3 months later...
0x222A5 is the nmi timer reload value. it gets reloaded to #$14 (#20) everytime the "seconds" variable ($41) is decreased (actually when X==#00). the timer is held entirely in the X register but gets preserved on the stack during function calls. it gets decremented every frame sometime between scanlines 8 and 20.

the nes ppu renders ~60fps so change the reload value to #$3C (#60) to get a more realistic clock.

This does not seem to have an effect during the playcalling screen. Do you know if there is a location that can be changed for that purpose as well?

The comparable byte for this value in TSB3 is located here:

x247EF

AM Rush

This does not seem to have an effect during the playcalling screen. Do you know if there is a location that can be changed for that purpose as well?

I noticed this myself. I think I actually like this though, because I'm speeding up the clock in order to run 15 minute quarters. It helps in the 2 min drill to be able to call a time out in the playbook screen when the clock is running slower than it does on the field.

:mrgreen:

AM Rush

• 3 years later...

Amruch is on to something. We use that "trick" on our NCAA rom. The Game clock runs about at about 120% of the actual speed of a real second. Which means for every 10 real life seconds, 12 will tick off of the TSB clock, but on the paly call it should be about 80 %, which means for every 10 real seconds, you lose only 8 TSB seconds. And the play clock can be set to run from 0-i'm guessing 256 based on Amrushes detailed clock hacks on TSB3. We chose 15 seconds, so you can kill the clock in a pvp game if you want. I would recommend if you are running 15 min qrtrs, you have to figure in that the play field is minature, so the time should actually run faster than normal. the goal is the number of plays in a game. I'm guessing there are about 80-90 plays per nfl game, so mayber clock speed at twice during game play, or even better have a 30 second runnoff on the play call screen, but 5 times the speed, which means for every second, 5 runs off. Even the computer takes 3-4 seconds to call a play, and that would be 15-20 seconds off the clock, and with the game clock at twice the speed, you should get close to the actual amount of plays. Quik math looks like this

CPU---seconds per play @ 40 seconds seconds, which means if they hold the ball for half the game, it would run 45 plays tops. Human would run anywheres from 30 to 60, depending on your style.

• 6 years later...