[xls] TSB Fantasy Draft - Using TSB Tool Helper Spreadsheet

BRINKY274

I’ve added the ability to do a “Fantasy Draft” of TSB Roms by modifying malferds TSB Tool Helper Spreadsheet.xls.

Attached are the Read Me, an Original ROM, and the Fantasy Draft Excel Spreadsheet.

*** RELOADED 2-8-11 ***

Added ability to sort potential draft choices by ability, rather than OVERALL. Sort by Max Speed, Pass Accuracy, Interceptions, etc.

---

Updated a few things, easier roster export, improved draft logic.

Any feedback is much appreciated.

TSB Fantasy Draft 28 v9.zip

looks promising, but since your using my spreadsheet, and my document name "tool helper" maybe put the originators name somewhere.

If you could control all the teams in the fantasy draft, then it could be used in a league.

the player ratings were close to flawless. but i didnt really know what i was getting into when i attempted to rate the teams. so team overall rankings are very off, mainly defense.

man i wish i knew that much about excell :D

you have to go to "tool output rom-MIKE" not "tool output rom"

and if you want the original rom or any rom in it for that matter you need to use the newest beta version of TSB Tool (i think its pretty much error free) and paiste the data you get from viewing the rom in TSB TOOL by bad al. and paiste that data into the "tool input rom" sheet but the commas must be replaced with tabs. you can do this by saving the Tool data in word as a .CSV (or something) file.

either way its a total waiste of time cause the draft thing sucks. it picks weird stuff, kickers and linemen go in the first round...

i would fix it but i dont have that knowledge of excell. all i know is simple math. but i would love an automatic fantasy draft program.

Thanks malferds, I see where it was still drafting OL and Kickers too early. I've fixed it. 1 line in the wrong place can do that....

Fantasy Draft works now! I've posted a version that already has the Original players in it, since that seems to be the most popular.

Malferds, before you jump to the conclusion that something sucks, maybe let the creator do a few touch ups before you write something off so fast. I asked for feedback so I can make it better. If you have any ideas of how teams should draft, let me know and I'll try to incorporate them. The bulk of the work is done for the program, adding draft logic is not too bad. Try it now and let me know what you think. Thanks.

clicked start fantasy draft, was 20th pick... I really like how you got the picks taken in order to the right of the screen. but william perry NT was picked first so i quit..

Randal should be picked first, nothing ever should change that. even if you cant use the guys cause you dont know how. you draft him and trade him for 2 good players.

on a side note, i was thinking about starting up a small league and if i do i will make the first round of the draft finish then its reversed for all the next rounds. (non snake)

123456 for first round, then 654321, 654321, 654321, for all the following rounds. cause QB eagles, bo, barry and the great qb's make a team so much better.

how would i go about changing the order guys picked?

Malferds how the draft order should be really depends on the skill level of the other coaches in the league. There is a reason qb eagles hasn't even come close to winning in HSTL in a long time.

The best way to keep it even would be to assign points to every player and you have a cap of how many points you can have on your team.

Looks really good. Ways to improve to the point where it actually gets used:

Allow for people to draft more than one player at a time. In most leagues, you can draft two olbs at a time, or an entire ol, or a team's backups, etc.

Allow for people to draft a position outside of a certain slot (ie, drafting LT as your LILB, Ronnie Lott as your CB1).

Obviously, allow for someone to run the whole draft as every team.

Make a sheet (or clean up one of the existing) for players that has nothing other than name, position, ratings.

Remove the 'compiled' guesswork ratings. Not only are those pretty bad, but no one will ever agree what's best in a position. For DBs, some people care about HP the most, some care about INT the most, some care about RP. You can't win with that, so just have a sheet of players, with macro buttons that will sort by whatever they want. (like this: http://www.puretecmo.com/wtl/wtld2/extract.cgi) Excel has a nice thing about sorting by multiple columns, a decent excel user could do that himself without needing macros also.

Those are some great ideas, I'll see what I can come up with....

I like the idea of assigning points to a player - and setting a CAP amount per team. Basically a salary cap, but on skill. That way, if you draft Randall Cunningham, you will have to pay for it later in the draft when you only have the points to get crappy/cheap players. That would be a nice feature to turn on and off whenever drafting. As far as the rating system, I know some people want to see the real players abilities shown, but some get carried away with Player A stats = 50 Player B = 56, when the player condition can just as easily flip these stats around, up and down during games. But I'll work on it.

Also, changing to a snake draft order shouldn't be too bad.

For now, I've improved the draft strategy quite a bit, and the best players - at important positions will go early. Now that I've got the program running, its kinda fun to see how the draft goes over and over.

***Loaded the latest version of the FANTASY Draft Spreadsheet.

That way, if you draft Randall Cunningham, you will have to pay for it later in the draft when you only have the points to get crappy/cheap players.

Generally that's taken care of in a snake draft, where if they take Eagles at 1.1, they have to wait 54 turns before they can pick again.

ran out of lb's to pick in roud 29.... and yeah it takes a while. if there was a way to simulate it from any point that would fix it.

i really like this thing tho. i would only use the Manual control of all the teams for leagues, otherwise just to play around i would rather just use 2 or 3 teams by hand.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I can't get this to work at all... when I launch it, I'm told that my macro security setting has disabled macros from being used with this document. I don't know what that means or how to change it. I'm using OpenOffice 2.3. When I start or simulate the draft, I get a BASIC runtime error '425', invalid use of an object.

Yeah, I can't get it to work on Quattro Pro 10 either. The Read Me file isn't really helpful, as it tells me to copy data into the "Tecmo input rom" sheet, but the data is already there. And when I load it, the thing says there are cell issues or something like that that is wrong in the output rom sheet. It doesn't help that I'm rather clueless when it comes to spreadsheets, but that doesn't seem to be the only problem here. :|:lol:

• 3 months later...

hrm

this is pretty interesting

I just happen to be a database/spreadsheet kinda guy at work, and I see a few things I'd like to change in this

any chance you'd (OP) be willing to work with me on this?

I think it would be interesting to create random "personalities" for teams, and have them draft that way (ie, cpu pittsburgh/baltimore favours drafting LBs, NE looks for well rounded players, make CLE draft busts, etc etc)

you could take your base ratings for a player, then have teams value a stat more

modify that base score such that a team like steelers would value HP *2, speed *1.5 and BC*3 and have Buffalo value HP*.75, Speed *3 etc etc

you get 2 teams who have completely different draft boards, based on their fake team philosphy

Yeah, its been a while since I've looked at my code. I intentionally left the vb code accessible because there might be someone who would like to modify/improve what I have.

For the most part, all the changes you mention can made on the FANTASY DRAFT worksheet.

I'm not sure how familiar you are with VB, I'm certainly no expert, but I suggest you start by tracing the code from the "START" button to try and help explain what the program does, where to change "random" odds, and maybe make a team more likely to draft a position before another.

Feel free to ask about where you think you should make changes and I'll be glad to help.

Brinky

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not understanding the player rankings portion of the spreadsheet. Where Randall Cunningham is a 99, Moon is a 79, Kelly is a 76, Montana 74... how did you come up with these scores? Elway is the 17th QB? And 21 QB2s are better than ATL QB1 Chris Miller? Mel Gray DET RB4 is ahead of Marcus Allen RB2, Roger Craig RB1, and Herschell Walker RB1.

I may have missed your explanations earlier in the thread so I will continue reading. Thanks!

I'm not understanding the player rankings portion of the spreadsheet. Where Randall Cunningham is a 99, Moon is a 79, Kelly is a 76, Montana 74... how did you come up with these scores? Elway is the 17th QB? And 21 QB2s are better than ATL QB1 Chris Miller? Mel Gray DET RB4 is ahead of Marcus Allen RB2, Roger Craig RB1, and Herschell Walker RB1.

I may have missed your explanations earlier in the thread so I will continue reading. Thanks!

click on the the ratings, and then look at how the formula's are derived

example: randall Cunningham: =(0.05*I4+0.01*J4+K4*4+L4*0.01+M4*2.1+N4*4.9+P4/2.5)/5.28-38

in tecmo speak this is: 5% of RS + 10% of RP + 400% of MS + 1% of HP + 210% of PS + 490% of PC + Avoid pass block / 2.5

then take that whole thing and divide it by 5.28 and subtract 38

i'm guessing the forumla for QB's was built around randall, and forcing it to 99 for him :D

the number itself is really irrelevant, the big thing to take out of the formula is how it's weighted

big big weight on running ability and pass speed