Discussion of cxrom's 32 team rom

bruddog

I think the whole tecmo community would worship you if you were able to accomplish adding the last four teams to the roster. If you got any free time, please hit me up AIM edisaurusrex so I can pick your brain a bit - I'd love to help out with this! (I'm well aware that this most likely would be over my head, but I am a comp-sci major)

How are the actual divisions set up when the teams are in that formation? That is, does it still pick 3 division champs and 3 wildcards? Under that system you could have the fourth "division champ" miss the playoffs.

Otherwise, great job. If you released a rom with this set-up I would consider using it for my NCAA rom.

i haven't touched any of the season stat code yet, but eventually it'll all be there. currently the game still acts like there is only 28 teams and stats for the 4 expansion teams overwrite other data in sram.

on that note, does anyone have the layout of sram. anyone who has written a stat extractor should be able to shed some light...

i haven't touched any of the season stat code yet, but eventually it'll all be there. currently the game still acts like there is only 28 teams and stats for the 4 expansion teams overwrite other data in sram.

on that note, does anyone have the layout of sram. anyone who has written a stat extractor should be able to shed some light...

Yeah, I figured sram might be a problem in this. I have a large chunk of the sram for team injuries, conditions, and stats. However, I still haven't figured out how the sav file checksum value is calculated (most common is a checksum-8 but haven't gotten a chance to see if this is the case). I'll type up those notes here when I get a chance later.

I'll type up those notes here when I get a chance later.

thanks, that would greatly speed up the process. also would you be interested in testing an alpha patch, because i wanna test out all 32 teams in preseason mode to make sure i didn't break anything before i move on. i really don't feel like playing all 32 games myself.

I'm just curious how you plan on adding 4 teams worth of names, jersey numbers, and player attributes data given that there isn't enough space left for half a team at the end of the current player name bank.

could you set it up so that most teams have the same OL? Then overwrite the space reserved for OLs with the additional teams. Or kickers or backup players.

I'm just curious how you plan on adding 4 teams worth of names, jersey numbers, and player attributes data given that there isn't enough space left for half a team at the end of the current player name bank.

the expansion attributes are right after the original teams attributes. then followed by the new player number/name pointers (which are in the $0003x to $006xx range for the original teams). the names and numbers were a little more tricky and are placed in different spots in the rom but are in the $C000 to $FFFF range of cpu "viewable" rom.

when viewing all 32 teams in "Team Data" nothing crashes so theres a good sign. if the current location turns out to be a bad one in the future, i'll just relocate all the data.

could you set it up so that most teams have the same OL? Then overwrite the space reserved for OLs with the additional teams. Or kickers or backup players.

this would be better suited for an NCAA rom where you wanna cram as many teams in as possible. though i would just use first initial and last name only (for everyone). also have like 4 (or 5?) tiers of o-linemen attributes and just have the teams use different ones based on the "overall" of their current o-line. this is just a thought...

you mean you could fit even more than 32 teams if you wanted to?

yeah, but this is not something that just anyone can do...

edit: and the season would be all fucked up because of sram limits. the only way around this is if i (or anyone) can hack the game to use the MMC5 instead of the MMC3, which will double the amount of sram. the IRQs work a little different on each board so i don't know if its possible.

you mean you could fit even more than 32 teams if you wanted to?

yeah, but this is not something that just anyone can do...

edit: and the season would be all fucked up because of sram limits. the only way around this is if i (or anyone) can hack the game to use the MMC5 instead of the MMC3, which will double the amount of sram. the IRQs work a little different on each board so i don't know if its possible.

That is why I said YOU could do it, haha. 32 teams for the current NFL is more than enough. always going to need multiple roms when it comes to colleges.