Tecmo Players in the CFL

Bad Moon Rison

I was doing some searching on Gil Fenerty and stumbled across this CFL site that has links to CFL players who also were somewhat legendary Tecmo players.

Anyone ever seen this before?

http://www.geocities.com/cfl_historical/CFL-Tecmo.htm

Some of them are pretty interesting. I like the Andre Ware picture.

I think it would be cool if someone came up with a list of all the players in TSB that had once played in the CFL.

• 2 years later...
I was doing some searching on Gil Fenerty and stumbled across this CFL site that has links to CFL players who also were somewhat legendary Tecmo players.

I think it would be cool if someone came up with a list of all the players in TSB that had once played in the CFL.

That site says: "A total of 12 prominent offensive players in Tecmo Super Bowl spent some time in the Canadian Football League with varying degrees of success." They forgot to include Gary Anderson, Tampa rb, so that brings the total to 13. Gary played for the Memphis Mad Dogs in 1995.

Don't disrespect Ware. I sometimes use him over Peete.

Rodney Peete's major accomplishment in life is nailing the wife from "Hangin With Mr Cooper"

Pft. You mean Holly Robinson of '21 Jump Street' fame. At one time, she was a bigger star than co-star, Johnny Depp.

• 2 weeks later...

That site says: "A total of 12 prominent offensive players in Tecmo Super Bowl spent some time in the Canadian Football League with varying degrees of success." They forgot to include Gary Anderson, Tampa rb, so that brings the total to 13. Gary played for the Memphis Mad Dogs in 1995.

The total is now 13 offensive players, and 1 defensive player: that site forgot Bobby Humphery, Rams CB, who played for the first American CFL team ever, the Sacramento Gold Miners, in 1993 and 1994. In 1995, the Gold Miners moved and became the San Antonio Texans, and Humphery went with them. 1995 would be his last season in pro football.

• 4 weeks later...

There are at least 3 more by my count:

Jerry Kauric, Cle K, played for the Edmonton Eskimos in the 80s.

Keith Woodside, GB RB, played for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers in the mid-90s (1995, I think).

Steve Christie, TB K, played for part of the 2007 season with the Toronto Argonauts.

This one doesn't count, I guess, because he never made the regular-season roster: Percy Snow, Chiefs LB, came out of retirement to attend training camp with the Saskatchewan Roughriders in 1996 (if I remember correctly), but he ended up quitting the team part way through camp, having cited a loss of passion for football.

• 2 weeks later...

This one doesn't count, I guess, because he never made the regular-season roster: Percy Snow, Chiefs LB, came out of retirement to attend training camp with the Saskatchewan Roughriders in 1996 (if I remember correctly), but he ended up quitting the team part way through camp, having cited a loss of passion for football.

He quit because he couldn't compete in the game up here, and was too embarrassed to put it any other way, heh

(I live in Riderville, and go to training camp most years to watch)

I remember seeing him tho

He quit because he couldn't compete in the game up here, and was too embarrassed to put it any other way, heh

(I live in Riderville, and go to training camp most years to watch)

I remember seeing him tho

Derrick Thomas made everyone on that defense better. I was surprised to see Snow only played 3 years in the NFL. He must have sucked.

Snow was a dominant linebacker in college. He had an injury once he went pro and that screwed things up. Those Michigan State teams he was on played great defense. George Perles was a good coach, too.

I had forgotten that Snow had such a short NFL career. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percy_Snow

As much as I love Derrick Thomas (and I saw a lot of him when he wore a crimson jersey in college), he wasn't the only good player on the Chiefs' defense. Neil Smith, Dan Saleaumua, and Bill Maas combined for a dominant DL, Albert Lewis was an All-Pro corner and Kevin Ross was a good corner, too. Deron Cherry was a good safety. For Derrick to stand out among such a good group of defenders just shows how special he was.

At Alabama in 1988, as a senior, Derrick recorded 27 sacks. In one season. He finished only 10th in the Heisman.

Whatever.

• 10 months later...

They show a lot of old CFL games on the ESPN Classic channel, and it seems that every time I watch, I notice another TSB alum that we haven't listed.

And since the first link in this thread is dead, I figured that I'd look up and list all the TSB guys that had played in the CFL during the regular season and/or playoffs. There were many more than I had thought.

(listed by TSB team)

Atlanta:

Shawn Collins WR, Winnipeg Blue Bombers 1995

Andre Rison WR, Toronto Argonauts 2004-2005

Cleveland:

Robert Banks DE, Saskatchewan Roughriders 1992

Jerry Kauric K; Edmonton Eskimos 1987-1989, 1991; Calgary Stampeders 1991

Felix Wright SS, Hamilton Tiger-Cats 1982-1984

Detroit:

Robert Clark WR; Toronto Argonauts 1993, Baltimore CFLers/Stallions 1994-1995

Terry Greer WR, Toronto Argonauts 1980-1985

Andre Ware QB; Ottawa Rough Riders 1995, BC Lions 1996, Toronto Argonauts 1997

Green Bay:

Keith Woodside RB; Winnipeg Blue Bombers 1994-1995, Birmingham Barracudas 1995

Houston:

Tony Jones WR, Sacramento Gold Miners 1994

Warren Moon QB, Edmonton Eskimos 1978-1983

Indianapolis:

Clarence Verdin WR, BC Lions 1996

LA Raiders:

Mervyn Fernandez WR; BC Lions 1982-1986, 1994

Miami:

Fred Banks WR, Sacramento Gold Miners 1994

Minnesota:

Leo Lewis WR; Calgary Stampeders 1980, Hamilton Tiger-Cats 1980

New Orleans:

Gil Fennerty RB; Toronto Argonauts 1987-1989, Shreveport Pirates 1994

John Fourcade QB; BC Lions 1982-1983, Winnipeg Blue Bombers 1984

Lonzell Hill WR; Hamilton Tiger-Cats 1992-1994, Las Vegas Posse 1994, Memphis Mad Dogs 1995

New York Giants:

Odessa Turner WR, Ottawa Rough Riders 1995

Philadelphia:

Robert Drummond RB; Baltimore CFLers/Stallions 1994-1995, Toronto Argonauts 1996-1997, BC Lions 1998-2001, Toronto Argonauts 2002

Mike Schad G, Ottawa Rough Riders 1995

Heath Sherman RB, San Antonio Texans 1995

Jesse Small LB; Ottawa Rough Riders 1994, Hamilton Tiger-Cats 1995-1996

Phoenix:

Anthony Bell LB, Ottawa Rough Riders 1995

Bill Lewis C, Memphis Mad Dogs 1995

Timm Rosenbach QB, Hamilton Tiger-Cats 1994

Pittsburgh:

Derek Hill WR; Toronto Argonauts 1992, Shreveport Pirates 1994

San Diego:

Bobby Humphrey CB, Sacramento Gold Miners/San Antonio Texans 1993-1995

BJ Tolliver QB, Shreveport 1995

Wayne Walker WR; Ottawa Rough Riders 1992-1993, Shreveport Pirates 1994-1995, Ottawa Rough Riders 1996

Seattle:

Tommy Kane WR, Toronto Argonauts 1994

Paul Skansi WR, Ottawa Rough Riders 1992

San Francisco:

Harry Sydney RB, Montreal Alouettes 1986

Tampa Bay:

Gary Anderson RB, Memphis Mad Dogs 1995

Steve Christie K, Toronto Argonauts 2007

Bruce Perkins RB; Hamilton Tiger-Cats 1993-1994, Memphis Mad Dogs 1995

Washington:

Alvin Walton SS, Baltimore CFLers/Stallions 1994-1995

Honourable mention (aka cut during training camp or didn't get to play in a non-preseason game)

Cincinnati:

Ickey Woods RB, Birmingham Barracudas 1995

Kansas City:

Percy Snow LB, Saskatchewan Roughriders 1995

Miami:

Troy Stradford WR, Shreveport Pirates 1994

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...