TSB Playmaker [beta] (nes playbook hacking program)

BAD_AL

Here is the first beta release of TSBPlaymaker.

It requires the .NET framework in order to run.

The one posted here works with cxrom's 32 team ROM.http://www.tecmobowl.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=9094&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=20

I felt I would release it at this stage because I feel that it will be useful for casual playbook hacking.

The hardcore play hackers will have to wait a while for the final version (because they aren't going to be satisfied with this release).

Major features missing:

1. Play pattern modification (on both offense & defense).

Supported Features:

1. Change pattern for an offensive player (to something already in the ROM).

2. Change pattern for a defensive player (to something already in the ROM).

3. Change offensive play numbers associated with a 'play'.

4. Change defensive reaction numbers associated with a 'play'.

5. Copy Playbook from another ROM.

6. Copy playbook to another ROM.

7. Play graphic modification.

I should also add that not very much testing has been done (so you will likely come across bugs). I honestly don't time to sufficiently test a program like this.

If you do come across bugs, please post them in this thread.

If you have usability suggestions, please post your ideas.

When you use this program to modify a play, you need to playtest your play to ensure that it works correctly.

Also there are some offensive patterns that are not named correctly, or could be named better.

I give you the ability to re-name the patterns by editing the 'DataFiles\OffensivePatternNames.csv'. Feel free to upload your file if you feel that is better than the one it comes with.

Please read Instructions.txt (Help->Guide/How-to) before using.

I would like to thank my partner on this project (jstout) for all his help answering my questions and for getting this project going.

TSBPlayMaker_0.1_Beta.zip

DefensivePatterns.zip

The individual defensive editor is basically barely useable in it's current

state.

Also there is a key difference in the 2 pass rush commands. In one case the defender will adjust smoother to the ball carrier (the DD hex command) vs taking more stright lines (DA hex dyte).

Still almost anything makes it easier than editing by hand. I'm just giving suggestions as realize this is just a first look.

Well one problem is the entire possibilites of what one defender can do does not fit in the box.

My real hope was that somone could translate all the move and coverage commands onto a fake field so you could see what the defenders are doing and cycle through their different possibilities. I realize this is hard task. I made up this grid to help me visualize where defenders were moving too.

Defense is a much trickier beast than the offense.

tecmogrid.zip

Ok after looking at the defensivePatterns file, I thought it would just be easier for me to update it with the DA-PassRush/ DD-PassRush stuff(it required changes in about 2000 places).

It's in the top post.

Well one problem is the entire possibilites of what one defender can do does not fit in the box.

If you hover the mouse over the combo box, a tooltip should appear that contains the entire pattern definition.

Very nice.

The open file on the menu doesn't seem to be working and I get an error on the spreadsheet test with "File or assembly name AxInterop.OWC11, or one of its dependencies, was not found".

And lets say I have a rom with a totally different set of plays than the original. I would need to edit the csv files to make it work or change things with, the pointers and pattern names are obvious but do I need to enter the full patterns into AllOffensivePatterns or does it only use the pointers and the rom to change a specific player?

Very nice.

The open file on the menu doesn't seem to be working and I get an error on the spreadsheet test with "File or assembly name AxInterop.OWC11, or one of its dependencies, was not found".

And lets say I have a rom with a totally different set of plays than the original. I would need to edit the csv files to make it work or change things with, the pointers and pattern names are obvious but do I need to enter the full patterns into AllOffensivePatterns or does it only use the pointers and the rom to change a specific player?

I found that the spreadsheet test would only work if the user had Office 2003 installed, so I'm not going to use the spreadsheet. Does the DataGrid work?

If so, do you have any part of office installed?

To update the defense pattern files you can do the following:

1. run your TSBDesign program to extract the defensive code.

2. massage the Def_code.txt so that it's the way you like it (I removed a lot of the 'MoveAbsolute(xx xx)' and other stuff that I didn't want to see in there), save the file.

3. Open up the Test Form in TSBPlayMaker.

4. Run the PatternReader (jstout program) test.

5. Browse to the file you created in step 2, select defense .

6. uncheck the 'Show Patterns' check box.

7. click 'Go' button.

8. Delete blank line (line #2), copy contents into a file called 'DefensivePointers.csv'.

9. Check 'Show patterns' check box, uncheck 'Show pointers' test box, click go button.

10. Delete blank line (line #2), copy contents into file called 'DefensivePatterns.csv'.

11. open up both files in excel, then save each file (this will get rid of the trailing commas at the end of the lines).

You can do a similar thing to get the offensive pointers, but English probably works better for the patterns.

I found that the spreadsheet test would only work if the user had Office 2003 installed, so I'm not going to use the spreadsheet. Does the DataGrid work?

If so, do you have any part of office installed?

The Grid Test did work (only shows offense but as a test that is expected). I have Office 2003 Student Edition installed on this computer.

I'll have to go through the csv for my rom and see if this will make stuff easier as of the moment it is time consuming and driving me crazy to get what I want.

• 3 weeks later...

BAD_AL: Is there a way you could mod the play editor to display the hex address of the play that's currently being edited, maybe in the text window or something? I'd like to go into a hex editor and type some bytes in by hand (FB byte for a HB, for example), so easily reading the address would be nice.

:?:

BAD_AL: Is there a way you could mod the play editor to display the hex address of the play that's currently being edited, maybe in the text window or something? I'd like to go into a hex editor and type some bytes in by hand (FB byte for a HB, for example), so easily reading the address would be nice.

:?:

So I think you mean for the patterns, right?

Currently I just show the pointer in the tooltip, but I could also show the actual ROM location.

So for now, if you wanted to calculate the actual ROM location you could use the equation (for the offensive patterns):

location = pointer - 0x2000 + 0x10

For defense patterns, it's simply:

location = pointer + 0x10

Yeah, I mean the ROM location where the play information starts for the pattern being edited - starting at 0x4410 in the ROM, as viewed in a hex editor.

For example, when editing RUN - SLOT 0 - PLAY NUMBER 0, somewhere in the program I could easily see the hex location (0x4410 in this case, I believe) I would go to manually edit the play information (beginning with the QB bytes, etc) in a hex editor. :?:

Currently I just show the pointer in the tooltip, but I could also show the actual ROM location.

I'm not sure which tooltip this is.

:D

When you hover the mouse over the comboboxes on the offense and defense tabs, a tool tip will show up showing some more data (like the pointer and plays in the original ROM that the pattern is used in).

In the current release they don't show up quite like I want (they don't work when you are cycling through the choices with the arrow keys), but it'll be fixed in the next release.

• 3 months later...

is BAD_AL still around???

A couple of bugs that should be easy to fix (i assume):

1. When you select play, the "FORMATION" combo-box is usually selected to something other than the actual formation used - this can cause some problems when editing...it seems like "PRO-T" is usually selected.

2. When "copying" a playbook from a ROM, the "player name" for the run plays must not be copying right/at all. Like RB1, RB2, QB or whoever is supposed to get the ball...

Thanks, as always!

• 6 months later...

Ok Buck,

I checked out the 32 team ROM and the original tsb ROM (with regard to playbooks).

The are practically the same. There was 1 slight difference (looks like cxrom put some critical data in a location that was previously all 'FF's (somewhere between 0x4010 and 0x5081).

I modified the copy playbook feature to leave the new data alone (since it's not critical to the original TSB).

I think that's all it needed to get it working with both ROMS.

Please be my beta tester and report your results.

Oh ya, about that defect you reported, it's not fixed in this release.

It's been so long since I was messing with this program, I don't remember how to update that.

TSBPlayMakeer_0.2.zip

I checked out the 32 team ROM and the original tsb ROM (with regard to playbooks).

The are practically the same. There was 1 slight difference (looks like cxrom put some critical data in a location that was previously all 'FF's (somewhere between 0x4010 and 0x5081).

it can be moved if necessary. i just picked that spot because it was the first big block of 'FF's.

• 3 years later...

I've downloaded the program and tried to use it for my custom ROM (it's basically the same thing as the original NES version), but I keep getting an error whenever I try to load the ROM into it. It reads "unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately. Object reference not set to an instance of an object." Whenever I click "Continue," the same error pops back up and I can't do anything. Anyone know how to fix this?

• 2 weeks later...
I've downloaded the program and tried to use it for my custom ROM (it's basically the same thing as the original NES version), but I keep getting an error whenever I try to load the ROM into it. It reads "unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately. Object reference not set to an instance of an object." Whenever I click "Continue," the same error pops back up and I can't do anything. Anyone know how to fix this?

IM having the same exact problem. Cant get it to work at all