New York Tourney '07 Discussion Thread

tourneyjl0.jpg

Hey Everyone,

There have been slight modifications with the details of this tournament.

After conversing with the owner of the venue, we have to adjust to an earlier scheduled time. On Saturday Jan 27th, the tournament officially kicks off at 1:30 pm. We are allowed to arrive an hour earlier to setup our game consoles and work out tournament brackets. I implore all participants, particulary those who have access to NES Systems to arrive a half an hour earlier (1:00) to setup our equipment. This tournament has excitedly taken a life of it's own. Right now it's estimated that we have about 14+ competitors participating in this great Tecmo Day. New York locals from Queens, the Bronx, our neighbor states of New Jersey, Philly and even as far as Arizona and Minnesota are expected to show. With this is mind, it's imperative that we establish a preliminary round for our eventual elimination tourney.

Previous Thread

Official Info Thread

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

226 West 4th St @ 7th Ave

New York, NY 10014

Participant Updates:

Yup Yup (18-24)

bobmajob33 (AUS)

AugieNo2 (PA)

TecSpectre (PA)

SteveTasker (PA)

daboy8821 (PA)

Louis Oliver (PA) (+1?)

2steppinlonnieyoung (PA)

biw314 (CT) (+2, Mikey & Jim)

Edgefan2000 (NJ)

artoose monk (NJ) (+ 1)

longdongchucklong (NJ)

ihoagied (NJ)

Bo FB Offtackle Left (NY)

Bad Moon Rison (NY) (+1)

Samurai Psycho (NY)

Some guy from Hollis (NY)

Rok (NY)

Okoye For 6 (NY) (+1)

Undecided (from the area) (3)

CMigs (NY)

MysterMask (NY)

JayDub (NY)

Undecided (travelling) (4)

kingsoby1 (MN)

FloIsMyName (IL)

TSBGOD (MA)

AverageTSBPlayer (PA)

Unlikely (6)

itsmemikehey (ON)

FactorbackTSB1 (AZ/NC)

Canes R Fo Real (NC)

edisaurusrex (MN)

Sconnieale (MN)

ByoderPhilton (PA)

I was wondering about any play alterations or changes that are and are not allowed;

Are players allowed to change playbooks after picking their teams?

Has it been determined how often a single team can be used? It was mentioned before that a team could be used only once per round, but with the tier system being what it is, if any one round runs too far, it's possible for people not to have teams to pick from if people are using the low tier teams.

If I come up with anything else I'll post it.

Yeah, it will be that you are only allowed to pick a team once per round. There are 28 teams in the game. I don't think anyone will run out of teams to pick in a round. We'd probably have to play 20 games in a round to start running out of teams, and I'm not sure if any one person will be playing that many games the whole tourney, let alone one round.

Playbook changes allowed. No lurching, no 4th man down of FGs, etc.

Unbelievable! I get to travel from Australia to visit the US, specifically New York, and on what date do I arrive? The 26th of January! Tecmo!

Does it cost to enter the tournament? If so, how much? Also, don't expect me to be bringing any equipment (it would be challenging). Finally! Is this location on Manhattan, and easy to get to? I am unsure if I will be able to access a car during my stay.

Unbelievable! I get to travel from Australia to visit the US, specifically New York, and on what date do I arrive? The 26th of January! Tecmo!

Does it cost to enter the tournament? If so, how much? Also, don't expect me to be bringing any equipment (it would be challenging). Finally! Is this location on Manhattan, and easy to get to? I am unsure if I will be able to access a car during my stay.

Yes the place is in Manhattan. The site of NYCLAN, the place of the tournament, is http://www.nyclan.net. They provide directions, and you can see that many subways have stops nearby. If you are staying in Manhattan, you're better off without a car anyway because parking is generally horrible. In all likelihood, you could pretty much jump on almost any downtown train and you could get there.

The cost is a minimum of $10 to cover the cost of the place, but it might be $20 in order to have a prize pool.

Private message Bad Moon Rison or Samurai Psycho to let them know if you are coming and if you have any more questions, as they are the organizers.

It would be a real kick to see someone from Australia there! :D

Here is the issue. What if--for example a player picks first and they select the jets and the other player has used every team in that tier and the one below it--what happens? I feel that is possible so I think a plan is needed.

Also-- now that we're getting and idea of how many people will be there--what is the projection for the tourney length? I think it's going to be a LOT longer than the original projects set out since we'll be playing so many games and there probably wont be an equitable amount of TVs to players.

I have a copy of Tecmo for the NES I can bring as well!

Holy shit, this is incredible!

"Ray, people will come Ray. They'll come to New York for reasons they can't even fathom. They'll turn up your city not knowing for sure why they're doing it. They'll arrive at your door as innocent as children, longing for the past. Of course, we won't mind if you compete, you'll say. It's only $20 per person...The one constant through all the years, has been Tecmo football. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come Ray. People will most definitely come."

fieldofdreams8lt9.jpg

Here is the issue. What if--for example a player picks first and they select the jets and the other player has used every team in that tier and the one below it--what happens? I feel that is possible so I think a plan is needed.

Also-- now that we're getting and idea of how many people will be there--what is the projection for the tourney length? I think it's going to be a LOT longer than the original projects set out since we'll be playing so many games and there probably wont be an equitable amount of TVs to players.

I have a copy of Tecmo for the NES I can bring as well!

Great that you can bring an extra copy!

We are setting up at 1:30, and the plan is to start the tourney at 2-2:30. We have until 7:30 booked, so that is approx. 5-6 hours. If a lot of people come, we'll structure the tourney accordingly (e.g.- "pools").

As for the picking teams, I doubt people will run out. I mean, why would I pick the Jets if I know my opponent has no worse teams? I'd just pick a better team. I think that's what people will do. The odds of someone picking NE, IND, GB, CLE, and NO all in one round are slim to none. If someone really wants, let's say, the Jets and all the teams in and below that tier have been picked, I say we allow them to pick a team from the above tier. Part of the strategy is picking the right teams.

Hey guys,

If it's ok I think i'd like join you. It might be good for me to get outside my own tecmo circle a little bit. I can supply a deck and controllers and a couple of cartridges.

This sounds like this tournament will be great. Thanks for setting it up.

Cool, welcome aboard. PM me your contact info. My AIM is ChaosAD333 if you have any questions about the tourney that are not listed up there.

FYI, for people coming distances, it might be best to start looking for hotel/motel rooms to stay in if you are staying overnight. The last tourney we hosted was at my apartment and there were only a few of us, so I was able to house people who were travelling. Normally the invitation is open, but it seems unlikely that I would be able to do the same this time because of the amount of people coming.

Apparently I never posted this. This is the plan I had for the tourney structure based on the number of people who attend:

Qualifying Round:

Less than 10: Everyone plays everyone else once.

10-14 people: 6 randomly selected qualifying games.

14-16: 2 separate pools. Each pool must play each opponent in their pool once.

16+: add an extra pool for every four extra participants.

Elimination Round:

If less than 11, top 6 advance. (byes to two teams with best record)

If between 11-14, top 8 advance.

If between 15-18, top 10 advance. (byes to two pool winners)

If more than 18, top 12 advance. (four play-in games for 8 lowest qualifyers)

If by some chance 24 or more, there would be 16 players that advance, though I really don't know what to do because we have a limit of 9 TVs.

I am thinking if 10 people or less advance of having best 2 out of 3 in elimination. If more than that, the first round or two would be single elimination.

I think the ideal situation would be to get exactly 18 people.

I estimate that I'll be staying around 4-5 miles from this NYCLAN place (all the way up at West 72nd Street). I reckon I can walk that far without dying. Might be a tad cold though?

I intend to use all sorts of crazy Australian slang to distract opponents. Prepare to be mystified!

I estimate that I'll be staying around 4-5 miles from this NYCLAN place (all the way up at West 72nd Street). I reckon I can walk that far without dying. Might be a tad cold though?

I intend to use all sorts of crazy Australian slang to distract opponents. Prepare to be mystified!

Why would you walk? Take the 1 train from 72nd down to Christopher Street, and the place is about a block away.

That's for the clarification on format. I wonder if you could also describe how teams are picked, I looked around but it wasn't clear/decided. Thanks.

Posted by Bad Moon in the first thread:

About the actual team use: you can only use a team once per round. Teams will be tiered based on general strength (of course, there is no perfect system, but this is close). We will most likely use the tier system from last time, which goes as follows:

Tier One : sf hou phi gia

two: buf rai chi

three: cin kc mia

four: den sd rams tb det was min

five: dal phx pit jets atl

six: no gb cle sea

seven: ind ne

The way we did it last time: Player 2 chooses team first. Player 1 must choose a team in the same tier or lower. Once a team is picked, you must stick with that team.

Can someone merge the locked thread with this one so all the discussion is in one place? Might cut down on some confusion.

I did read that, but I'm still confused. Sorry if I'm being dense.

you can only use a team once per round

Does 'round' mean the whole round robin where we might be playing 6 or more games? Does it then reset when we get to elimation play?

Either way, I'm excited.

you can only use a team once per round

Does 'round' mean the whole round robin where we might be playing 6 or more games? Does it then reset when we get to elimation play?

Yes, and yes.

bobmajob, you'd actually be much closer than you think. 20 minutes by subway. I'm travelling more than twice the distance by subway to get there. The 1 train literally leaves you about a block away.

I'm not going to merge the threads because a lot of the info there is not final. What I will do (eventually) is make a thread with ALL of the information. This will be the tourney discussion thread, the other will be the tourney info thread.