Creating historical TSB NES Seasons

MiniDitka

Whenever I could ever find time from school or my large-breasted girlfriend (heehee), I've been interested in putting together as many historicaL seasons as possible. I had done a rehash of 1991, 90, and am almost done with 85 and 89, but they're still a bit faulty......so I have some questions of you wonderful chaps:

1) I was trying to do 1985 and make the Bears defense (I still make myself wet thinking about that team), so I made the sack totals really high because the 84 and 85 Bears had some of the highest sack totals ever, but the sim came out all screwed. Richard Dent had something like 28 sacks, and the rest of my DEs had good numbers, but my linebackers had nothing (Otis Wilson and Wilber Marshall were still badasses in the sack dept. that year). The same thing happened with my interceptions....it's like it was impossible for the game to spread out that good of numbers across an entire team. I had their sim codes set to 15 for offense and 15 for defense, obviously, and maybe this has something to do with it too. I remember thinking I had it figured out that you were only allowed something like 255 total added bytes of Sack numbers and 255 total bytes of ints, but that still didn't fix anything.

Any ideas?

2) Has anybody figured out how to get the WRs to sim properly? There are some players that have real life stats like 50 catches and 1100 yards while some other guys have stuff like 90 catches and 800 yards....I think the PR and KR stats impact the Yards per catch numbers but it seems to be really hit and miss... Sometimes I will give a WR a receiving code of something low like a 3, but I put their KR stuff high because they're a good returner, and they end up leading the league in receiving....I sure as hell don't want someone stupid like Kelvin Martin leading the league in receiving every year over Jerry Rice. Any tips to get around that?

3) I remember reading somewhere on these boards that someone had a utility or something where they plug in a player's real life stats and it spits out some pretty good Tecmo ratings.....Who has that?

4) Also, where could a brutha go to figure out stuff like defensive stats like tackles and sacks and accurate player jersey numbers? Is there a site out there like that????

As far as everything else, I have it pretty much figured out. I've figured out how to create COMPLETELY accurate historical schedules, how to fiddle with the pointers that show how many games will be played each week, making it possible for a full 16 week schedule with no byes, just having everyone sit out the final week....which also works in creating 14-game, 26 team seasons (It pretty much lets us be able to make any season since the merger like the TSBIII 1970 season with the CNFL).....And then there's the whole play editing thing; that's taken care of....

I also need to figure out how to take Houston and Atlanta off the 4WR mode and stuff like that.

As you could see, I'm quite anal about historicism.....damn me.

Hey, welcome to the board. I'd first like to say that I don't like Ditka at all. That said, you seem to be doing some great things so far. I'd like to know if it's possible to add a week to the season and eliminate the bye week, or to add 2 and have the bye week hit at the end or the middle or whatever. I'd love to make 18 game schedules for my USFL roms.

Well, to explain this, I might as well go through the whole song and dance of schedule editing....

At byte 329C9, there begins values like 0E, 0D, 0C, etc. These are the pointers for the number of games each week. Unfortunately, you can't add weeks, but if you're so inclined for some reason, you can add games to that week (I at least did it with the value 0F). To make less weeks, all you do is put in 00 for the week so there are no games.

For the teams, their bytes go from 00 (Buffalo) to 1b (Atlanta), in divisional order. There is a lot of blank "FF" area after the schedule part, so if you insert certain games and such, make sure that the FF's are equal to the number of games you add so the game doesn't get all out of whack.

Quick question. I tried what you said for weeks 1-3 of my rom but it still makes me play one game each week. I tried filling in the first 14x3 games with FF's but still some game comes up flashing asking to be played. How do I get around this? I just want to cut 3 weeks off the season to make it more like college football.

Actually, there is a bit of an issue going on with the schedule thing....I THOUGHT I figured it out.....but alas, my Scientific Method is horribly awry, because last night, I started to do the 16 game schedule, and it got all screwed up, repeating games toward the middle of the season when Tecmo's original schedule had byes scheduled....so it turns out I lied to you people and the games per week thing is kind of hard coded, as far as ADDING new games is concerned.

But to fix your college question, I THINK this will work.....

For the first few weeks, there were originally 14 games scheduled. To have only one or two games scheduled, set the schedule pointer thingy to 01 or 02 or however many games you play....then fill in the other 11 or 12 games that week with FF's, and it shouldn't flash anymore.... Say you want two games in one week, and it should look like this:

01 02 03 04 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF

FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF

I'm pretty sure it would work. Just make it so that you are consistent with the number of games during the middle of season, or else it will repeat games multiple times over a few weeks. Just remember to fill in FF's for the remaining games of any week you shorten.....luckily, you can do most anything with week 17 because there's no week following it...

I hope I'm making sense...

Sincerely,

The Absent-Minded Tecmo Scientist

4) Also, where could a brutha go to figure out stuff like defensive stats like tackles and sacks and accurate player jersey numbers? Is there a site out there like that????

The best web site I've seen for stats & jersey numbers is http://www.nflarchives.com/. It's not complete & has some errors on it, but it's a good start.

Finding tackle data is not easy. It's not an officil NFL stat because teams record them differently. So they're not too widely available. On the web, I've been able to find stuff as far back as '92, though it took a good bit of work to find anything prior to '99. For anything else you'd probably have to find old magazines, newspapers, etc.

The schedule thing appears to have worked. I reduced the first 3 weeks of the season to 1 game each, moving one game from week 4, one from 5 and one from 6. It seems to fine - I'm simming whole seasons and everybody ends up with a 13 game record, which seems about right for college football.

I found out more stuff with the scheduling thing that makes things work pretty much flawlessly, allowing you to get as few or as many games per week in the schedule for it to work.... But it has to do with messing with those annoying pointers that nobody really understands.

As I said earlier, I wanted to manipulate the schedule so it would have 14 games per week for 16 weeks, getting rid of the bye week. First of all, I set the easier-to-understand games per week code (0E=14, 0D=13, etc). to all OE's to for 16 weeks, leaving the 17th week at 00 to show that no games are played. Unfortunately, just changing these values only puts 14 games per week, but games are repeated because the pointers are all screwed up. So, After spending a couple hours figuring out what pointers were all about, I found the REAL pointers for the number of games per week.

At offset 329A7 (The hex code starts out "CB 89 E7 89), there are 34 bytes, or two bytes per week. As i put above, CB 89 = Week 1, E7 89 = Week 2, etc. If you notice, since there are 14 games programmed in for Week 1, the difference between CB and E7 if you subtract them in Hex terms in 28....accounting for the 28 teams playing that week. If you want only 13 games that first week, Change the "E7" to "E5," showing where the pointer starts for Week 2's games. Since I wanted 14 games, or 28 teams a week, I just kept adding 28 to each byte until the end of the season.

But, I found that the game won't let you leave a week blank (It freezes up on you if you try to advance beyond that empty week), so for me to play my 16 week schedule, I needed to have only 13 games in week 16, and 1 game in Week 17, which could be like the last Monday Night Football game of the year....

Yes, I know it's really complicated. So, to save the hard work of figuring out a regular 16 week schedule, I just did the pointers for you....

From 329A7:

CB 89 E7 89 03 8A 1F 8A 3B 8A 57 8A 73 8A 8F 8A

AB 8A C7 8A E3 8A FF 8A 1B 8B 37 8B 53 8B 6F 8B 89 8B

And the games per week bytes at 329C9:

0E 0E 0E 0E 0E 0E 0E 0E 0E 0E 0E 0E 0E 0E 0E 0D 01

And this time, I checked out this info to see if it worked before posting....

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...
So, After spending a couple hours figuring out what pointers were all about, I found the REAL pointers for the number of games per week.

At offset 329A7 (The hex code starts out "CB 89 E7 89), there are 34 bytes, or two bytes per week. As i put above, CB 89 = Week 1, E7 89 = Week 2, etc. If you notice, since there are 14 games programmed in for Week 1, the difference between CB and E7 if you subtract them in Hex terms in 28....accounting for the 28 teams playing that week. If you want only 13 games that first week, Change the "E7" to "E5," showing where the pointer starts for Week 2's games. Since I wanted 14 games, or 28 teams a week, I just kept adding 28 to each byte until the end of the season.

But, I found that the game won't let you leave a week blank (It freezes up on you if you try to advance beyond that empty week), so for me to play my 16 week schedule, I needed to have only 13 games in week 16, and 1 game in Week 17, which could be like the last Monday Night Football game of the year....

Yes, I know it's really complicated. So, to save the hard work of figuring out a regular 16 week schedule, I just did the pointers for you....

From 329A7:

CB 89 E7 89 03 8A 1F 8A 3B 8A 57 8A 73 8A 8F 8A

AB 8A C7 8A E3 8A FF 8A 1B 8B 37 8B 53 8B 6F 8B 89 8B

And the games per week bytes at 329C9:

0E 0E 0E 0E 0E 0E 0E 0E 0E 0E 0E 0E 0E 0E 0E 0D 01

And this time, I checked out this info to see if it worked before posting....

I just spent some time making a 10 week schedule using this thread as a reference. I'm going to add my two cents:

The "real pointers" you're referring to are telling the game where the beginning of each week is.

CB89 to 89CB - 6000 = 29CB + 10 = 29DB add 3 in front = 329DB the offset for week 1. Read up on pointers if this is confusing to you. These don't need to be changed unless you're adding games to a week. (along with the number of games per week at 329C9)

If you're erasing games from a week, all you do is change the number of games per week at 329C9. Then add correct number of FF's after the last game in said week. (as explained in earlier post)

• 3 weeks later...