Stat extraction

Vilagooch

A few questions..

Is there a program which extracts stats from a .sta file into a nice, user friendly form? There's the stat extractor that puts it in an ugly form designed for another program... is there something to convert that into a more useful (for my purposes anyway) format?

Also, how do all the league sites (including TPC) get the stats to extract onto the website? Most interested in the ones which record separate player stats.

Otherwise, I'll be doing it by hand and we'll use a chipped PS1 for a tourney coming up. Which I don't mind. The others might mind the time taken for it though.

Cheers.

Let me start by saying that this in not the answer to your question. I have a tourney that I run 4 times per year with about 9 people and I keep track of all the stats. Basically it is done via the Blue screen at the end with the stats after a preseason game.

We copy all that information down and then I put it in a spreadsheet for later use on our website (link below). I have talked to a few people (some who design software) about extraction of data from these form in a automated fashion. Most have suggested Access for that.

With Access you can actually make an input screen for the data. At the end of each game the stats could be entered. After the tourney you could build a series of querys and generate a few reports based on whatever situational stat you prefer. I have not got around to building one yet. I am actually looking for one of those nite classed a the local high school to re-learn Access for this.

Some insight, not sure it helped too much but it was worth a shot.

The stat extractor you have used does put it into a friendly format in the sense that it easily lets you convert it into any format you want.

It should be in a comma delimited format which can be opened up in excel. Considering that the data lays out the same way every time it's possible to import these into excel pages that summarize the data. Someone probably already has one out there for you to use.

Is there a program which extracts stats from a .sta file into a nice, user friendly form? There's the stat extractor that puts it in an ugly form designed for another program... is there something to convert that into a more useful (for my purposes anyway) format?

What kind of form are you looking for? I can make my sta stat extractor program have another text output to fit your needs. Most need the stats in comma-delimited form for databases and spreadsheets but it isn't nice and easy to read.

I'm after something that would convert the stats into either an excel spread sheet or something similar. By the sounds of it this is simple, with this comma-delimited format, though I'm not sure how I'd go about it.

I'm not down with the comma-delimited lingo.

Might even be able to open it up straight in excel, but just opening it normally leaves it in its txt format for me.

Vilagooch, to open up the comma-delimited file in excel isn't that hard.

Open up excel and then choose to open a file in text format. It should then open up with the "Text Import Wizard" popup. Here choose Delimited and hit next, select Comma and hit next, then hit finish. Now your file should be in spreadsheet form.

If the "Text Import Wizard" popup doesn't occur then select column A. Choose "Data" from the menu and then "Text to Columns..." and the popup will occur. From here follow the steps above.

• 13 years later...
On 11/5/2006 at 12:17 PM, jstout said:

What kind of form are you looking for? I can make my sta stat extractor program have another text output to fit your needs. Most need the stats in comma-delimited form for databases and spreadsheets but it isn't nice and easy to read.

where can i get my hands on your stat extractor program?