Operation: New York Tournament

That gaming lounge looks like a good time.

I'll keep my entrance tentative, though, as law school tends to produce conflicts on weekends that are unavoidable.

Thanks for responding, we'll keep you down as a maybe. If it makes you feel better, that's the same week as my thesis defense. But it seemed the most logical to do because of no football playoffs.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the details about the tourney location, time, date, attendees, etc. have been posted previously. Make sure to check it out. The tourney is Saturday, the 27th of January. If you can, PM your contact info.

I am assuming the style will be (as based on other tournaments), a Round Robin style first round where everyone plays one another. Then, I imagine the top 60% or so would move on to an elimination round. I personally would like to see the elimination rounds as best 2 of 3.

About the actual team use: you can only use a team once per round. Teams will be tiered based on general strength (of course, there is no perfect system, but this is close). We will most likely use the tier system from last time, which goes as follows:

Tier One : sf hou phi gia

two: buf rai chi

three: cin kc mia

four: den sd rams tb det was min

five: dal phx pit jets atl

six: no gb cle sea

seven: ind ne

The way we did it last time: Player 2 chooses team first. Player 1 must choose a team in the same tier or lower. Once a team is picked, you must stick with that team.

Ok.. this is just my review of everything I've found for the tournament info lumped into one posting for anyone that doesn't want to scroll through the whole list looking for everything

Date: January 27th, 2007

Time: 3pm Start (arrive no later than 2:30pm for setup)

226 West 4th St @ 7th Ave

New York, NY 10014

Potential Tournament Format:

1st Round - Round Robin (everyone plays everyone)

2nd Round - Elimination Format

Teams are picked from the tiers mentioned a few posts back and each team can only be used once per round.

Ok.. Now I've got a few more questions about the format.

The tournament is listed as only being around 5 hours long. Say we get 20 people, we'll have too many for the 8 TV's being made available to us to have everyone playing at one time.. We'd also not have enough time for everyone to play everyone.

That being the case, assuming the turnout is good, how does the tournament play out?

I'm only asking this question because I play many games on a competitive level and the layout of the tournament structure is a key factor in the overall tournament fairness.

So basically, I'm just looking for rules on how everything plays out, how teams are picked and all that. I'm not sure who's running the show but I'd be more than happy to offer my services in helping and what not. Just an offer though, not trying to step on anyones toes.

What sort of services? :D

There are 9 TVs (you're forgetting the 42 inch plasma TV). I'm assuming that we don't get as many as 20. Of course, it's great to get lots of people, but it doesn't seem like we're going to go over that limit at this point. If it does get to that point, I'd say we'd try to book an extra hour or so. Some people will want to take a more leisurely approach to it and watch a game or two. If the number of participants gets very high, then we could break it off into two pools (A and B, based on location) to help cut the number of games down in the preliminary rounds. But that is only in the extreme case.

How teams are picked is pretty clear. I don't think we're deviating from that plan.

I have one console and one copy of the game. all the others i had were sold, but if needed i could find more.

Do you have controllers with the system? That kind of sounds like a dumb question, but I have to ask.

i have an ample amount of controllers as well. i also should have another console with 2 controllers.

Ok.. this is just my review of everything I've found for the tournament info lumped into one posting for anyone that doesn't want to scroll through the whole list looking for everything

Date: January 27th, 2007

Time: 3pm Start (arrive no later than 2:30pm for setup)

226 West 4th St @ 7th Ave

New York, NY 10014

Potential Tournament Format:

1st Round - Round Robin (everyone plays everyone)

2nd Round - Elimination Format

Teams are picked from the tiers mentioned a few posts back and each team can only be used once per round.

may i suggest a group stage for the first round, like how the world cup uses groups to determine who goes to the elimination rounds.

if theres 20 people, we could have 4 groups of 5 and everyone in their respective groups can play each other either once or twice. from there, we use W/L records to determine who moves on, maybe the top 2 teams from each group to make 8 for the final rounds. for a tiebreaker we could use point differential.

also, if we use groups, we should name them to honor the tecmo dead, like the "eagles death group (white, brown, waters)", the "chiefs death group (dt, Webster)", Saints Death group (mills, Hayword) just a thought, any other dead should be announced for a new group

Okay, I'm putting you down for 2 consoles, 4 controllers, and 1 game. Here's the equipment list so far:

artoosemonk: 2 consoles, 4 controllers, and 1 game

BoFBOffTackleLeft: 1 consoles, 2 controllers, and 1 game

TecSpectre: 1 consoles, 2 controllers, and 1 game

SamuraiPsycho: 1 consoles, 2 controllers, and 1 game

So far, we have: 5 consoles, 10 controllers, and 4 games

If anyone can bring more or would like to bring, it's encouraged. I'm shooting for at least 8 consoles, 20 controllers, and 10 games.

Hmmm... as for tourney setup, maybe if it gets very large, we could have a qualifying round. Maybe we could play 5 games or so against any opponent. I imagine that would take about an hour and a half. After that, everyone would "qualify" and be ranked based on their record for an elimination round. The elimination round would be best 2 out of 3. We should base the bracket around 16 people. If we have more/less, best qualifiers would have first round byes.