Trades, Free agents

pokemonandrew

Before your season, you select "Trade Mode" at the schedule screen. Then, you have three rounds of trades once you begin your season. You can only trade within the position you are asking for (e.g.- WR for a WR). Then, if you're lucky, the trade will pass once you finish each round. If not, I'd suggest trying another trade (although I think I've placed the same trade twice and it went through the second time). The types of trades that are usually accepted are players with comparable skills.

Once you finish the trading rounds, you move into the free agency mode (my favorite part). Your remaining FA points are at the top right of the screen. Each player has a certain "FA Vaule," which is a very general assessment of what they are worth. The cool part about this is that some players play above and below what their FA Value is. The fun part is finding which players are steals and which players are flops for their value. The Free Agency part involves some key decisions about the outlook of your team: Do you drop some of your OL to sign Neon Deion Sanders or do you keep them and try to establish an excellent running game? It all depends on the players available.

Once that's over, the season commences.

Hope that helps.

I've never really had an experience where the trade was too far off. I meant to say that you couldn't get someone like Herman Moore with Bill Brooks. I think there has to be something a little better than that for the offer to go through. But, kinda like real life, there are some stupid trades made occasionally.

I usually try to trade for good backup players, as it seems the COM puts less weight on the impact of those players.

I tried the tricks you suggested, just giving the CPU a plain old BS trade. Here are my results:

1st trading season: John Jett (I think that's the Cowboys P) for Rich Camarillo (lopsided)

2nd trading season: Gregory Miles for Junior Seau (incredibly insanely lopsided)

3rd trading season: tried to get Rod Woodson for some buttfucker, didn't work

Combined with being able to sign DE Bills, Deion Sanders, and a host of offensive linemen in FA, I got the Cowboys all the way to 12-4 in their 3rd season after starting 13-3. :? At least I got the All-Time Greats by playing each Cowboys Super Bowl MAN and simming the rest. The Bears signed RB G Bears when I passed on him in favor of Emmitt (I know, cop out, but I felt guilty doing it). However now I have no cap room whatsoever to go and sign CB G Cardinals. Damn.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I've never had a great deal of luck when I've signed Deion Sanders, he's usually been good for about two interceptions a season. But in the season I am playing right now, he is playing like a f'ing animal. Through seven games he has seven interceptions, and I've returned two for touchdowns.

If you had 300 FA points, would you sign Deion or two good, above average corners (or LBs, or DLs)?

Sure, Deion can make some plays the others can't. But I've seen Deion get injured in Week 1. I suppose it's just a tradeoff.

If you had 300 FA points, would you sign Deion or two good, above average corners (or LBs, or DLs)?

This is an awesome question, and the true beauty behind TSB3. Cool you can even ask that, ain't it? Makes a player feel like he's doing something in all aspects of the team; playing the game, coaching, and managing/owning. Sounds like fantasy football, too.

But to answer, i would definitely take Deion. I'm all about somebody fast in the backfield, regardless of tackling prowess. Plus, when you put him with the Jets he helps out a great deal!

I saw the computer as the Jets drop nearly its entire defense one season to sign Deion. The Jets still sucked, but seemed to improve a little.

I believe in TSB III, it is best to have two good corners than one great corner. I rarely use corners, so having one good and one bad one allows the opposing offense to exploit a part of my defense. Of course, it always depends on who you match up against that week and the other team's stats. The more good players you have on the field, the better.

The Jets being CPU operated? That figures. I like to use the Nickel with their D and stick Deion as the nickelback. If you put the best they have in at CB, there will be better overall performance of the secondary. What their really hurt by is a schedule laden with pass-happy teams, or teams that have no trouble getting to a backfield.

Deion continues to play like a man possessed in my latest season. I played three games Friday night, and he picked off a pass in each of the last two and I returned them both for touchdowns. He now has 5 INT's for touchdowns on the season.

I never control Deion, and he seems to do well when I am someone else.