Great TSB Story My visit to Tecmo US HQ in 90s

First post and new member but old school TSB player to the first game on the NES. Tecmo HQ used to be close to my house at the time in LA CA region (Torrance) me and friend were die hard and called their phone and talked with Brian who at the time was their lead Tech (and probably had other duties). Long story short we built rapport and he invited us to Test Tecmo games at HQ.

i remember testing a golf game at the time with my friend and giving reviews. It was actually quite good. Well back to TSB l, turns out the guy in the cover for the original NES games is Brian. Take a close look and you can determine it’s the same guy - he confirmed it to us whirl visiting. To finish the story we got invited to test the next gen version (the one on PS) and we’re not impressed. Our feedback was we wanted same style of game as on NES and this move was not good. They should have listened to us as the PS game did not sell well and Tecmo never did another NFL PA game again.

anyways wanted to share this story with forum as I appreciate the community. Hope u enjoyed reading nominate any questions please ask away.

I have been searching for who is on the cover many MANY years! 

I've had a few conversations w/ Shimogi about it and his only knowledge was that it was a hired person for the day & he has no way of finding out who it was as he was in Japan and the person used for this was in California

Is there any chance you have Brian's last name ? Having a TSB cart autographed by him has been a lifelong quest for me! 

Edited by arncoem

I don’t remember his name but sometimes Tecmo games give credits to staff I suspect his name would be in credits if not that game some other Tecmo game.

i can confirm it was him same face when we met him.

• 2 months later...

I've been doing some (more) research into this & even though haven't solved my lifelong goal of "who is on the cover of TSB cart" - I did find a pretty cool story about how they got who is on the cover!

So Tecmo wanted to use Marcus Allen on the cover (not Bo Jackson I'm guessing bc he was a mega star to the likes of MJ, Lebron, Derek Jeter, etc.. he wouldn't be worth even asking bc he would've been 10x anyone else at the time) - Allen was w/ the Raiders and they were a local team for Tecmo's HQ so it made sense (be like if today there was a video game company in San Francisco and they wanted ot put a player on the cover of their cartridge, Christian McCaf. would be the one for it) - so Marcus was approached about using a picture of him going over the goal line on the cover- Marcus Allen wanted $50k for this PLUS a certain % royatly on every cartridge sold. 

Tecmo told Marcus Allen's agent "where to stick their $50k offer" - Tecmo went looking for other current players but all of their agents wanted what was considered way too much so they hired a model for the day. 

Imagine if Tecmo actually gave a % cut of every cartridge sold to Marcus Allen or another player - over the years we are talking about WAY more than their late 80s / early 90s NFL contracts paid them!

So I still am looking for my lifelong quest of the model used on the cartridge & plan on having him autograph a cart for me - but in the mean time the stories & info finding along the way is jsut as fascinating! 

Edited by arncoem

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2024 at 2:43 PM, arncoem said:

So I still am looking for my lifelong quest of the model used on the cartridge & plan on having him autograph a cart for me - but in the mean time the stories & info finding along the way is just as fascinating! 

I have always wondered if it was a model, a player or a member of the Tecmo staff that created it.  I bet someone on here knows.