(SNES) Tecmo Super NBA Basketball 23-24 (SNES)

PLK3124

Tecmo Super NBA Basketball 23-24 (SNES)

View File

To kick off the start of the 23-24 NBA season I am releasing my NEW Super Tecmo NBA Basketball (SNES). Here's are the details on what is edited:

-27 teams (Missing Toronto Raptors, Memphis Grizzilies, New Orleans Pelicans) *NOTE-I am currently working on versions to add these teams by replacing other teams. Will add update when done!

-Rosters (includes top Rookies for this season)

-Player Stats

-Player attributes (as best as I could determine using stats online)

-Jerseys

-Logos

-Home Court Arena names

The game play is great! I recommend playing this by putting all teams on COM and putting the team you want to play with on MAN. Then use your emulators Fast Froward option (almost all emulators have this option) to move through all other games. If you play the game with every team on SKP the stats will get all messed up. Only the last player on every bench will score the points. (I'm trying to figure out how to fix this but have had no luck so far. I believe this is because I used the Rabbit utility to edit rosters.)

I am still relatively new to ROM hacking which is why there are some things in the game I do not have completely updated. I would love to combine with anyone to update this ROM to the full 30 teams and fix the things that are still not correct. Hope you enjoy. Hit me up if you want to collaborate on this project!

programs used: HxD, Rabbit utility, yychr

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

In your screenshots, I recognize a lot of the logo work... 🤔

Was it pretty straight-forward porting them over from my NES NBA release, or was there trickery involved?

Up to this point, I've had zero luck doing sprite work on any of my SNES releases. I can create NES logos all day... SNES? It's a whole other monster for me. I've got a few SNES projects I've been holding off on because the existing sprites are not what I want.

On 3/19/2024 at 11:38 PM, Baron von Lector said:

In your screenshots, I recognize a lot of the logo work... 🤔

Was it pretty straight-forward porting them over from my NES NBA release, or was there trickery involved?

Up to this point, I've had zero luck doing sprite work on any of my SNES releases. I can create NES logos all day... SNES? It's a whole other monster for me. I've got a few SNES projects I've been holding off on because the existing sprites are not what I want.

Sorry I’m not sure what you mean as far as “trickery” involved. A lot of it was trial and error. I found that many of the logos had tiles that repeated in the same logo and other logos so I had to find ways to work around this.  Some of them were mirrored or rotated. It was a lot of painstaking work to come up with the final logos for all the teams. I’m hoping to learn how to do some more advanced hacking like de bugging and such to try and swap tiles which will help me to improve them greatly. I have not worked on any other SNES ROMs but I assume the same thing happens with other games. I would love any tips or help!

23 hours ago, PLK3124 said:

Sorry I’m not sure what you mean as far as “trickery” involved. A lot of it was trial and error. I found that many of the logos had tiles that repeated in the same logo and other logos so I had to find ways to work around this.  Some of them were mirrored or rotated. It was a lot of painstaking work to come up with the final logos for all the teams. I’m hoping to learn how to do some more advanced hacking like de bugging and such to try and swap tiles which will help me to improve them greatly. I have not worked on any other SNES ROMs but I assume the same thing happens with other games. I would love any tips or help!

Trickery... On some ROMs, you can open up a ROM in an editor and you can clearly see what you're looking for (like field logo on Tecmo Super Bowl on SNES), while on other games (like Griffey) you see nothing. With games like Griffey, the logos have been modified, but it took some... trickery.

In the past, I've wanted to port my NES Tecmo NBA game and all the logo work I've done to the SNES version of the game, but the thing that always kept me from doing it was the faces of the original players. At the time, I hated Kristaps Porzingis being represented by Patrick Ewing's face (for example). 

So, long story short: I saw some of my NES logos found their way over to your SNES ROM. Was it easy to transfer them? Were you able to drag & drop, or did you have to do it pixel-by-pixel?

I did it pixel by pixel using templates from pixel art logos I searched for online or using a pixel app on my phone that imports pictures to pixels. yy-chr is the editor I use. I also used tips from you and others on this site to help me map out the graphics. Let me know if I can help you in anyway. I found I really enjoyed doing the graphics after I got started. I loved playing this game as a kid and wanted to update it as much as possible. I’d really love to get the both versions up to 30 teams but still have a lot to learn on ROM hacking in order to do this. Do some of your other sports ROMs have appropriate number of teams??