Small Helmet Question (28-team ROM)

I am nearly done with USFL '88, but I ran a twitter poll and will make an alternative version with two uniform shifts for LA and Memphis. 

Small helmets are difficult and I realize they are much harder to edit than big helmets. Part of this is that it is more complex than editing the color of the helmets, but also figuring out the palette and what "parts" of the helmet they share with other helmets, etc. I have uploaded the rom here and the images. I have seen people find success with small helmet editing; I am just reaching out to see how folks did it. If not, I think I will just stick with current small helmets and leave color edits to the big helmets and uniforms.

Any experience would be greatly appreciated. 

usfl_94_mem_teal_03-0.png

usfl_88_black_swan_1.0_unichanges-1.png

usfl_88_black_swan_1.0_unichanges.nes

• 2 weeks later...

I suck when it comes to editing graphics (main reason my edits don't have their intros changed, I just can't figure it out). But maybe I can help point you in the right direction and hopefully it makes sense to you. The replies by @pambazos88 in this thread might be useful for you:  

He's got numerous posts that are excellent reads on editing the game. He might be AWOL but when he was posting he left some gold nuggets for others to find.