This game pak is not designed for your Super Famicom or Super NES”

M B

Hi guys new guy here with a “I think” technical question here goes:

First off I am from Europe and love me some old american sports games big fan of NHL94 and just started getting into TSB.

I got everything running on PC emulator but for old time sake I bought me a Sega Genesis (mega drive in europe) and also a european SNES and an old CRT tv love the looks with scanlines👍

Got some original games and a 800in1 where I can add roms and play them on OG hardware even ntsc games work fine.

Now here is the problem I am trying to play TSB of a downloaded rom on a real SNES when I load it up it says:

“This game pak is not designed for your Super Famicom or Super NES”

This is the only game that gives this error I have searched high and low but all other ntsc roms work fine. The only thing I have found is that the original game only came out in the US on SNES and only in US cartridge form so no EU release. Is there something in the code that can be changed so it can be played on a EU SNES?

Hope my question is in the correct forum

thanks grtz Martijn

On 1/27/2023 at 3:02 PM, M B said:

“Lifesaver”💪🥳

For reference the 2 regionfree files work the TSBPal gives the “error”

thanks for the quick reply where these files already in the downloads section?

3D887116-4D4F-441A-9AD4-356BC1E1B0C3.thumb.jpeg.f725b9b257bcaebcaf1ed0c2ba859ad2.jpeg

No, I had to run it through an utility - Advanced SNES ROM Utility

Load up a rom, click on the "remove region locks", save the file, and it should work for any SNES rom

https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1638/

image.png

Ah nice I’ll try this app with the other snes tecmo super bowl roms👍🏻

Will report back for all EU snes tecmo super bowl fans with OG equipment😜

Edit:

@Knobbe

works great tried like ten different super bowl snes roms just patched the region and they all work on the real snes.

Just remains strange that almost all ntsc roms from different games work straightaway on the EU snes with my 800in1 cartridge…. Anyway problem solved thanks guys👍🏻

Edited by M B
Answering in own post

8 hours ago, M B said:

Ah nice I’ll try this app with the other snes tecmo super bowl roms👍🏻

Will report back for all EU snes tecmo super bowl fans with OG equipment😜

Edit:

@Knobbe

works great tried like ten different super bowl snes roms just patched the region and they all work on the real snes.

Just remains strange that almost all ntsc roms from different games work straightaway on the EU snes with my 800in1 cartridge…. Anyway problem solved thanks guys👍🏻

Given the message displayed it's possible that Tecmo was one of the few developers to code checks into their software. Just a theory.