NES TSB - need locations for MAN and COM fumble return speed

buck

ROM I'm working on...both MAN and COM are way too fast returning fumbles (whether the offense or defense recovers)...I assume that it shares a location with some other speed.  

Probably also need location of the defenders (team that doesn't have the ball - for both offense and defense) speed after the other team gets the fumble recovery.  (because maybe the solution is to Boost this to better match fumble returners speed instead)

Edited by buck

On 12/2/2022 at 7:38 AM, buck said:

ROM I'm working on...both MAN and COM are way too fast returning fumbles (whether the offense or defense recovers)...I assume that it shares a location with some other speed.  

Probably also need location of the defenders (team that doesn't have the ball - for both offense and defense) speed after the other team gets the fumble recovery.  (because maybe the solution is to Boost this to better match fumble returners speed instead)

The player scripts for fumble and and interception returns are the same. 

I forget if the defense (team that was on offense before the turnover) also share the same scripts.

The main reason why returning things suck so much unhacked is because you are facing the equivalent of 11 LT’s on the field since every offensive player has 69 rp. 

There aren’t any special hard coded speeds for fumble/interception returns. Its all boosting or resetting the current players speeds to their default rating values.

here is what I currently have at BFC5:

E100E100E100E100E4DFFEFF

so, there shouldn't be any boosts at all right?  these are all E1 00, which would reset MS?

probably should just set the code to E4DFFEFF, and not mess with the E1's

Edited by buck

Not sure why there are three straight E1 00s. One would have been enough.E1 resets the players MS to their appropriate MS based on if they are on offense/defense.

E4 = man take control

DF = com take control (if no man control)

FE FF =loop back one byte to com take control.

On 12/6/2022 at 6:15 PM, bruddog said:

Not sure why there are three straight E1 00s. One would have been enough.E1 resets the players MS to their appropriate MS based on if they are on offense/defense.

E4 = man take control

DF = com take control (if no man control)

FE FF =loop back one byte to com take control.

Yeah I know, that's why it's weird that they are so fast.  Would you happen to know which chunk of code the "non-recovering" team uses?  I'm thinking I need to boost that.

OFFENSE RETURNS OWN FUMBLE PLAY POINTERS:

starts at 0x4EB8 (the scripts that these point to are the same as the onsides kick return) 

OFFENSE DEFENDS LOST FUMBLE PLAY POINTERS:

starts at 0x4ED0

DEFENSE DEFENDS FUMBLE PLAY POINTERS (offense recovers its own fumble)

starts at 0x76B8

DEFENSE RETURNS FUMBLE PLAY POINTERS (return oafter defense recovers fumble)

starts at 0x76D0