I'm back to make a VERY SPECIAL ROM, and I need your guidance!

Yak

Heyo! Been a while!

So, I haven't edited a TSB ROM in about a decade. More? Less? Who knows. I don't know if there has been evolution in the tools used, so I wanted to ask the VERY LAZY question if someone could point me to the best tools, or provide documents with locations for some specific editing needs:

1.) General Team Stats editing (TSB Tool Supreme, I assume)

2.) Small & Large Helmet Editing

3.) Schedule Editing

4.) General Graphics Editing (various screen editors, or HEX info)

My plan is to use a cleaned up, relatively basic 32-team ROM. Maybe I'll add some hacks, maybe I won't. The initial emphasis will be on editing team stats and graphics for a 32-team ROM. I’m trying to keep it to more of a short-hand project than a full overhaul ala something like Tecmo Super Coach.

Let’s assume I don’t remember a single thing about any of this stuff, which is only partly true. Opinions? Advice? Lemme have it!

Edited by Yak

Happy to hear you have the itch again! Here are some of the editors I have been using:

1. General Team Stats editing - I use TSB Tool for the team names, abbreviations, playbooks, team and player sim codes, Pro Bowl rosters, season schedule and setting return men. I use a spreadsheet to edit the rosters, save to a .csv file, clean it up in a text file and then paste the rosters into TSB Tool. 

2. Small & Large Helmet Editing & 4. General Graphics Editing - There is no editor that works with the mini and large helmets specifically that works. The best editors seem to be YY-CHR and Tile Layer Pro

3. Schedule Editing - As of now I edit it using TSB Tool. For custom schedules like the NCAA release I used the schedule maker over at FootballGuys.com It's a bit limited though (can't make a 17 week season for a 32 team 8 division schedule, they cap it at 2 divisions for 32 teams). 

These are the essentials I use when editing:

TSBTool 1.0.0.3

TSB Playbook Editor Beta03

Lunar IPS

Translhextion

TSB Play Editor

YY-CHR

Tecmo Endzone Editor

Tecmo Hack Setter

22 hours ago, SBlueman said:

Happy to hear you have the itch again! Here are some of the editors I have been using:

1. General Team Stats editing - I use TSB Tool for the team names, abbreviations, playbooks, team and player sim codes, Pro Bowl rosters, season schedule and setting return men. I use a spreadsheet to edit the rosters, save to a .csv file, clean it up in a text file and then paste the rosters into TSB Tool. 

2. Small & Large Helmet Editing & 4. General Graphics Editing - There is no editor that works with the mini and large helmets specifically that works. The best editors seem to be YY-CHR and Tile Layer Pro

3. Schedule Editing - As of now I edit it using TSB Tool. For custom schedules like the NCAA release I used the schedule maker over at FootballGuys.com It's a bit limited though (can't make a 17 week season for a 32 team 8 division schedule, they cap it at 2 divisions for 32 teams). 

These are the essentials I use when editing:

TSBTool 1.0.0.3

TSB Playbook Editor Beta03

Lunar IPS

Translhextion

TSB Play Editor

YY-CHR

Tecmo Endzone Editor

Tecmo Hack Setter

Thank you, SBlueman! I really appreciate you taking the time to write this out. I'm glad to know that most of the tools have stayed the same. 

Is there a Tecmo Bible of HEX locations laying around, by any chance?

This thread by @bruddogis the rabbit hole you are looking to fall into:

Here are some quick links for your specific questions:

If spreadsheets are your thing, this thread is a must read:

I also posted up a cheat sheet of various set commands you can try out with TSB Tool:

Edited by SBlueman

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)
On 1/1/2023 at 2:21 PM, bruddog said:

Ya its painful… specifically if you want to have accurate race color…

I'm encouraging myself to embrace the detail. Race color, closest player portrait--I'm going for it. That level of granularity is kind of what I'm trying to do with this ROM. I'm using your roster spreadsheets with the O.G. TSB rosters for reference of the original player attributes, while looking up stats on a few different websites, and drafting edits in TSBToolSupreme to build a first draft of the rosters. I also think there are a few interesting graphical tweaks in the older ROMs I made that I may wind up incorporating. Generally, I've been allowing myself to take my time, which has helped to get through it all.

Edited by Yak

On 1/7/2023 at 6:18 AM, Yak said:

I'm encouraging myself to embrace the detail. Race color, closest player portrait--I'm going for it. That level of granularity is kind of what I'm trying to do with this ROM. I'm using your roster spreadsheets with the O.G. TSB rosters for reference of the original player attributes, while looking up stats on a few different websites, and drafting edits in TSBToolSupreme to build a first draft of the rosters. I also think there are a few interesting graphical tweaks in the older ROMs I made that I may wind up incorporating. Generally, I've been allowing myself to take my time, which has helped to get through it all.

Assume you're already on the way otherwise I can say that mine should be accurate with jersey number.

On 1/9/2023 at 10:20 AM, Knobbe said:

Assume you're already on the way otherwise I can say that mine should be accurate with jersey number.

Nice! But I'm not actually making a contemporary ROM. In a way, it's refreshing to be putting something together that is not beholden to today's rosters.

11 minutes ago, Yak said:

Nice! But I'm not actually making a contemporary ROM. In a way, it's refreshing to be putting something together that is not beholden to today's rosters.

FAR OUT