COM goal line play-calling adjustment

buck

I was looking through some of my old (2018) notes, but I don't know if this sort of tweak has been documented already.

This is an idea to slightly alter COM play-picking logic near the goal line ( <= 3.125 yards ), where COM usually picks RUN 4.  I wanted to change this because it was too predictable and easy to stop COM in these situations.  

At location 0x0189DA, you will find A903, this loads Run 4.  If you change it to 2903, it should load a random run play instead  (Run 1 through 4).  Note that the Run 4 call isn't set in stone, there are other random chances it goes through before it gets there (even picking a pass), but this adjustment will make it an even "more random" run call.

side note:

for my "street" roms I changed the end of half COM Field Goal attempt to <= 20 seconds (instead of <= 30 seconds)...

At location 0x01897E, you will find C930.  If you change it to C920, the COM won't attempt a field goal until the clock is less than or equal to 20 seconds.

Let me know if there are other COM logic situations to look at.

Edited by buck

First off, welcome back @buck. I have gained so much knowledge from posts you shared over the years, good to see you back around. 

I had a question a while back on the COM logic:

How can you edit logic so COM doesn't go for it on 4th down in a tie when inside their own end of the field? - ROM Editing Discussion - TBORG (tecmobowl.org)

Edited by SBlueman

20 hours ago, SBlueman said:

First off, welcome back @buck. I have gained so much knowledge from posts you shared over the years, good to see you back around. 

I had a question a while back on the COM logic:

How can you edit logic so COM doesn't go for it on 4th down in a tie when inside their own end of the field? - ROM Editing Discussion - TBORG (tecmobowl.org)

Thanks! - I took a stab at this logic situation.  I will post it in the thread you linked.