TSB NES - Adding Longer Team Names (Team Data & Return From Injury Screen issue)

TheRaj

Hello all you Tecmo Freaks!

I'm trying to increase the size of a team's name in TSB. I know the last name has to be 10 characters max due to alot of screen limits (like the score screen).

But.. the team's first name can go up to 13 characters and doesnt seem to be an issue, unless the team's full name goes over 20 (counting the space between both team names). If this wasnt the case I could use 13 for the first name, a space, and 10 for the last name (24 total).

There are only 2 screens that I have found that mess up when the total team name is over 20: The Team Data screen and the Return from Injury Screen. To me if I can get these 2 screens to accept the longer name I think that solves my issue as all other screens I've tested do no have any issue.

I figured since the name displays properly in other areas it would be as easy as moving some text boxes around on these screens. Like for the Team Data screen I moved the Conference Name so it is below the team name, leaving more space for larger team names:

0x01e973 (Moves Team Name in Team Data screen) [Make 46 for middle]
0x01e977 (Moves Conference Name in Team Data screen) [Make 6C to move under team name]
0x01e97b (Moves Division Name in Team Data screen) [Make 70 to move under team name]

image.png.06884c2e8c850785cc7b7f23178c1956.png

So here is an example how it looks. The teams first name is 14 characters (GREAT BUFFALOS) and the last name is 5 characters (BILLS) for a total of 20 characters. And with how this looks we should be able to easily get 24 characters on that top line.

However even with these moves if the name is over 20 characters the name glitches and doesn't have the name appear in the proper area, as if it is having to shift the name.

image.png.830bfbba6ddd75b087fdbe8ce80ec6d0.png

So here is an example of me trying to use "GREAT BUFFALOS BUDDYS" as a name, that is 21 characters and it shifts the team name down in a weird way.

Any advise would be awesome. I have to assume its how it holds the name before these screens get the information, or some kind of check that notices the name is over 20 characters. But any advise would be awesome. 

The above name is a fake example, I just needed something as an example to illustrate the problem. I have several teams in my fantasy Tecmo league that would benefit from the name extension, along with other customer rom creators. The work arounds you suggested are basically what we do currently, but I'll continue to play with the code if I find anything. I'm sure somewhere in the rom it checks the name or text length in some way so I'm sure its possible. Anything I find Ill post here, though I'm prepping for TFO Season X (Kicks off Feb 2022) so might be a summer project instead. 

Check out TFO Season X: https://tfofootball.weebly.com (cheap plug)

At 2e84b you can change it to the max of 20. You can only use even numbers.

So for me I want to be able to use 24 characters in the team names

#TEAM FULL NAME CAN BE 24 CHARACTERS TOTAL (FIRST 13 MAX, LAST 10 MAX)
SET(0x2e84b,0x20)
SET(0x1e972,0x883d)
SET(0x1e977,0x5B)
SET(0x1e97b,0x79)
SET(00e80a,0x89a0)

This still has limitations:

-Last names cannot go over 10 (due to final score screen)

-First names cannot go over 13 characters.

So that means in total (with the space between first & last name) a team name can be 24 characters total. This could have some changes to it but this was my first quick pass as I have to get the team name to be correctly visible on the Team Info and Return from Injury screens. So this is what the code does:

SET(0x2e84b,0x20) #Sets the limit for the team name
SET(0x1e972,0x883d) #TEAM INFO SCREEN - Moves Team Name
SET(0x1e977,0x5B) #TEAM INFO SCREEN - Moves Conference Name
SET(0x1e97b,0x79) #TEAM INFO SCREEN - Moves Division Name
SET(00e80a,0x89a0) #RETURN FROM INJURY SCREEN - Moves Team Name below the Player Name

I'll play with this more later as its not exactly the way I want it, but it would work this way as the team names do display correctly in those screens.

Thanks @bruddog! I knew there had to be a max setting/variable and you were right on the money :) THANK YOU!!!!

Edited by TheRaja

Now my next issue (which isn't game breaking or anything) is that Im trying to redesign the "RECOVERED" screen to fit the longer team names. I have it working but not able to move everything on the page yet. Here is what I have so far:

image.png.8e844975f2649bc43eea5ae463392c0f.png

This allows for the larger name to be under the player's name. I may even move the name and team up some too... but as you see I circled the "Player Number" as I have been unable to locate where this is pulling from. The "-NO." part I was able to move off screen (or Ill be able to move it where I want later) but the number part seems to be calling from somewhere else. Im going to keep looking later as its nothing major.

I did find I can change the Return from Injury music at 0x00e81a. I'll be using 33 as it wasn't used in the original at all :)

@bruddogThank you, I knew it had to be drawing it to the background somehow but I kept thinking it would be in the 1e970 area. But you are right on AND this is also the same area where I can move the player name :)

So here is the code I'm using for the "Return From Injury" screen to make it so a larger team name can fit:

#CHANGES FOR RETURN TO INJURY SCREEN TO FIT LONGER TEAM NAMES

SET(0x0e80a,0x8920) #Moves Team Name
SET(0x2ebfb,0x40) #Moves Player Name
SET(0x2ec0c,0x9da221) #Moves Player Number
SET(0x0e7e9,0x8999) #Moves "-NO."

Now the RETURN FROM INJURY screen looks like this:

image.png.88421d97012974a08e214460c3e2e572.png

I'm also using SET(0x0e81a,0x33) as it changes the music on this screen (Im using 33 which was a song never used in the game)

Here is the code I'm using for the "Team Data" screen so the longer name can fit:

#CHANGES FOR TEAM DATA SCREEN TO FIT LONGER TEAM NAME
SET(0x1e972,0x883d) #Moves Team Name
SET(0x1e977,0x5B) #Moves Conference Name
SET(0x1e97b,0x79) #Moves Division Name

SET(0x1EECC,0x3D) #Moves Team Name in Players Data

Now the TEAM DATA screen looks like this:

image.png.c87ee2dedce3e15e267c238e63062f84.png

And finally the code to set the team names to be longer:

#INCREASES THE LIMIT FOR THE TEAM NAME

And with those 3 pieces of code I now believe I have no issues with a team having a 24 character team name :) Thanks again to @bruddog for pointing me in the right direction. People can modify the code to move things as they need but this is what Im going to be using with TFO moving forward :) THANKS AGAIN!!!!!!

Edited by TheRaja

• 2 months later...

I updated my above code to add a new line:

SET(0x1eecc,0x3D) #Moves Team Name in Players Data

Found that the team name in Players Data was not fitting with the larger team names. This moves it to match what is in the Team Data screen.

So my full code for this is:

#TEAM NAMES CAN NOW BE A MAX OF 24 CHARACTERS
SET(0x0e80a,0x8920) #Moves Team Name on Injury Screen
SET(0x2ebfb,0x40) #Moves Player Name on Injury Screen
SET(0x2ec0c,0x9da221) #Moves Player Number on Injury Screen
SET(0x0e7e9,0x8999) #Moves "-NO." on Injury Screen

SET(0x1e972,0x883d) #Moves Team Name on Team Data Screen
SET(0x1e977,0x5B) #Moves Conference Name on Team Data Screen
SET(0x1e97b,0x79) #Moves Division Name on Team Data Screen

SET(0x1EECC,0x3D) #Moves Team Name in Players Data Screen

*Note the code will allow the Team's First Name to be a max of 13 characters, 1 space between First and Last Team Name. and the Team's Last Name to be a max of 10 characters (24 characters total).