30 team rom / 31 team rom

Knobbe

As you know from 1995-1998 the NFL had 30 teams and from 1999-2001 had 31 teams. At this point, I don't think anyone has attempted to take the 32 team rom and retroactively take out 2 teams.  I'm looking to get this accomplished.

Would love some help else this is where I will be talking into the void :)

Planning to base the mod off this rom unless someone has a better suggestion

• Knobbe changed the title to 30 team rom / 31 team rom
  • 3 weeks later...

I didn't think there was enough interest in this and so I gave up on it. Glad to see someone is up to the task again.

Well, here are the last files I've worked on. There was a ton done to get it to where I would like it, but unless the playoff structure and the NFC West division can be fixed it's pretty much useless. I did edit the standings so that the NFC West has two division pointers, so make that what you will. And for some reason, re-aligning the divisions on the menus screw up the colors in some of the team texts - mainly the two central divisions. It might be an easy fix. Let me know if anyone can help with that as well. *edit...thanks to Knobbe, this problem is now fixed. I just had to edit one more hex to fix the gray colored star on the team control and preseason screens.

697292124_TecmoSuperBowl1995Seasonalign.fixmain-screenshot.png.2ca30a910f1bc69a7bd8bc765470e15d.png

Update: 6/2...Look down below for new uploads.

Edited by fgqb#19nyj

The background palette was an issue when the rom was expanded from 28 to 32 teams so cxrom added in a custom routine.

Not sure this is documented anywhere.

image.png

The routine starts at x4210 but the relevant code to change is

Palettes for Team Data Screen - x423B - x4279

Palettes for Pre-season team select screen - x427A - x42BA

Attached is the updated rom

Tecmo Super Bowl 1995 Season (2).nes

Awesome, man! I knew about this attribute table thing, but I wasn't sure where to edit these particular settings. I have a problem with the 1966 to 1969 roms, which do that, too. I had to shift all teams to the left. Is there a way to fix that on the 28 team rom, or is this something that had to be changed in the 32 team rom and it's only possible because of this change that was made?

15 hours ago, fgqb#19nyj said:

Awesome, man! I knew about this attribute table thing, but I wasn't sure where to edit these particular settings. I have a problem with the 1966 to 1969 roms, which do that, too. I had to shift all teams to the left. Is there a way to fix that on the 28 team rom, or is this something that had to be changed in the 32 team rom and it's only possible because of this change that was made?

I'm unsure on that. My first instinct is to think that he had to redraw because of the expanded number of teams but it's not like that screen got bigger.  I'd be curious if one of those Jstout or other type roms have a same sort of bypass this rom has.

Here's the 1968 rom's menu screen I've edited. It's not great looking, but it looks good enough I guess. As you can see, the one on the bottom has the correctly located helmets, but with distortions. This happens on the preseason and team control menus as well. Does anyone know how to fix that?

Tecmo Super Bowl 1968 Season-screenshot.png

Tecmo Super Bowl 1968 old align-screenshot.png

Edited by fgqb#19nyj

• 6 months later...
On 5/27/2022 at 2:39 PM, fgqb#19nyj said:

here are two rom hacks that are closer than I myself can ever finish. The rosters are accurate, but the attributes and player faces themselves need to be re-edited. Tecmo Super Bowl 1995 Season version 1.nesTecmo Super Bowl 1999 Season version 1.nesimage.thumb.jpeg.f4d54cc41420c33cd2994e87d0eaee05.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f4b61b71a32ae1c8b7f19c2411615faf.jpeg

good job finally seeing some  love for 30/31 era awesome hacks like always :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/27/2022 at 1:39 PM, fgqb#19nyj said:

here are two rom hacks that are closer than I myself can ever finish. The rosters are accurate, but the attributes and player faces themselves need to be re-edited. Tecmo Super Bowl 1995 Season version 1.nesTecmo Super Bowl 1999 Season version 1.nesimage.thumb.jpeg.f4d54cc41420c33cd2994e87d0eaee05.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f4b61b71a32ae1c8b7f19c2411615faf.jpeg

Great work!

If I'm seeing this correctly the big thing to fix is playoff logic on both roms. 

The standings need to be addressed but displaying duplicates is a good idea.

image.png

Thanks. Yeah, I only changed the wording on the playoff screen in both roms. The playoffs themselves are still based on the 32 team rom. The standings and team rankings is something that may or may not be fixable. I see that CXRom was able to have the game ignore the pro bowl teams in rankings. And so it might be feasible to have this done in standings, too? How he was able to do this I could only guess. The six team division setup I have in the game is also a problem, as you pointed out it duplicates teams in the playoffs, and so I tried to minimize the teams in both screens. I wonder if it's possible to make 3 to 5 teams in each division instead of the two choice method, which are 3 to 4 team or 4 to 5 team sizes. At least that way there won't be any duplicate winners in the playoffs.

I tried to chop off the first two teams in the 32 team rom to address the rankings screen, but ran into a problem with the individual leaders stat screens. It would display distorted stats and names and so I had to abandon that idea. If anyone knows where the hex location of the cut off point of where it would split the AFC and NFC teams concerning stats it could address this issue with team rankings, too. I think it has something to do with playoff sorting, but I'm not sure.

Edited by fgqb#19nyj

• 7 months later...

i wish cxrom r whoever did these had thought about doing the 30-31 team roms when he started on the 32 team rom over a decade and a half ago. i hope to see a completed 1995 and 1996 nes rom someday so i can try and finish my nes rom experiment, copying the attributes from the 16 bit and psx games

Edited by kefkaroth