What is your take on how the original game handled 4-3 defenses?

SBlueman

The original game handled 4-3 defenses in different ways. Teams like the Jets, Raiders, Seahawks, Eagles, Bears & Vikings placed their defensive tackles at RILB while the Redskins & Cowboys placed theirs at LILB. Then you have the Oilers with Ray Childress at LOLB for their 4-3 front. So which way is correct? Seems like the LILB picks up numerous sacks off blitzes so I could see having players like Dennis Byrd, Childress, Scott Davis, & Kevin Millard in those spots. But then what do you do with teams like the Redskins, Cowboys & Bears? I see there are three options:

Option #1:

WLB

RE

MLB

NT

DT

LE

SLB

Option #2:

WLB

RE

MLB

NT

SLB

DT

LE

Option #3:

RE

DT

WLB

NT

MLB

LE

SLB

So what's people's take on 4-3 defenses? I am leery about using the 4-3 rom hack because it changes the game enough to make if feel different. I'd rather use the original alignment and place the players in a spot that works for the scheme. 

I always based it on the skill of the players on the team. If a team had a great pass rushing DE, like Dwight Freeney, I wouldn't want to waste him on the line, so he had to be an OLB. The other players fall into place after you place the best player. If the team's best player was a Defensive Tackle, he would be an ILB. 

• 4 months later...

Well the 3-4 scheme as a default is getting pretty outdated for modern NFL. Most teams "base" defense is nickel. If anything one of the LB's should be an extra cornerback for most teams. 

It's one thing I never liked...LB3 picks up a ton of sacks on picked plays. 

I almost always aligned 4-3 teams as follows

RE= ROLB

DT= RE

DT =NT

LE= LE

WLB = RILB

MLB = LILB

SLB= LOLB

3 hours ago, bruddog said:

Well the 3-4 scheme as a default is getting pretty outdated for modern NFL. Most teams "base" defense is nickel. If anything one of the LB's should be an extra cornerback for most teams. 

It's one thing I never liked...LB3 picks up a ton of sacks on picked plays. 

I almost always aligned 4-3 teams as follows

RE= ROLB

DT= RE

DT =NT

LE= LE

WLB = RILB

MLB = LILB

SLB= LOLB

This is exactly what I've always done, but I've just become more aware of elite interior linemen lately. It's a team by team basis.