(NES) Tecmonster's Tecmo Super Bowl 2022

Tecmonster

Tecmonster's Tecmo Super Bowl 2022

SPECIAL NOTES FOR 2022: 
(1) I have tremendous time constraints these days and didn't think I would actually get around to making a game this year, but I decided to bite the bullet and get it done. With this in mind, please understand that my priority was expediency over accuracy, so you'll probably see a few roster gaffes. Please don't email me and ask for changes to be made because I just don't have the time. It is what it is.
(2) Special thanks to SBlueman. I predominantly used his rosters (but not the player ratings) as the basis for mine. Saved a lot of time. His rosters are a little jacked up because I think his game utilizes multiple TE sets and nickel defenses so that's why you'll see nickel backs (they are the fast dudes with low HP) within the LB corps of most of my teams this year.
(3) The Washington and LA Rams logos have not been updated. I've never been skilled with TSB graphics editing but if someone can send me the necessary code, I'll make those changes and re-publish with the new graphics.

STANDARD GAME NOTES:  This game, Tecmonster’s Tecmo Super Bowl, is based on the original Tecmo Super Bowl that we all know and love, but has been corrected, hacked and edited to a revolutionary extent. It's how the original game shoulda been made!  To create the player ratings, I feed their Madden ratings into a spreadsheet of my own formulas that then spits out Tecmo-compatible ratings.  You might also notice that I’m actually using the “Running Power” attribute as a dynamic category for offensive players instead of just assigning every player a 69 rating, as in the original game (which was, in my opinion, simply an oversight by the creators, or maybe just a shortcut to finish the game faster).  I also changed its name to “Acceleration” because that’s its real function.  All in all, there are roughly 40 different hacks implemented here (all described in the Preview Magazine and mostly sourced from highly skilled contributors at tecmobowl.org) and totally overhauled playbooks that better represent the modern-day NFL (like the pistol zone read, etc.).  I think the final result here is a smoother, more dynamic, and better overall game experience, with a much smarter and harder-to-beat AI, while still keeping the game just as simple to play as the original. The greatest video game ever made is better than ever!

FOR EDITORS: If you decide to make ANY edits to this game within TSBToolSupreme, then you'll very likely need to repair the rom afterwards because that program will break part of the moving grapple code and the game will glitch. So, here's what you do: I used the free Translhextion hex editor to create a file, named x3ffc0, and you can download that file here.  I recommend saving this file to your Desktop.
How you apply this file: open up your rom in Translhextion and jump to offset x3ffc0 (by clicking Offset > Jump To > then enter x3ffc0 in the field). Highlight (by dragging on) that byte + the next 48 bytes (49 bytes total), then:
1) go to Selection and click "Fill Selection with..."
2) in the pop-up box, select "File" from the dropdown box after "Fill selection with"
3) click "Browse" and find your file (preferably on your Desktop) and select it
4) click "OK"
5) Go to "File" and save your rom.
This should fix the problem. Every time you edit your rom with TSBToolSupreme though, you're going to have to follow these steps directly afterwards. If you have a Mac though, I don't know if this will work.

Tecmonster's TSB Preview Magazine 2022.pdf

tecmonsters_tecmo_super_bowl_2022.nes

• Knobbe pinned this topic

Alternative NFC West Fix after you edit

Goto https://hexed.it/

Upload your rom

Navigate to 3ffc0 either manually or via the goto on the right side

image.png

At this point you'll want to paste in the following string

a000b1aec9e0f01ec9a0f01ac960f016c920f012a018b1aea0131871ae91aea019b1ae4c16dbac2f00a21920e3d84cf0

When you paste in you need to change the following options:

image.png

Save your rom and you're good

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/9/2021 at 1:45 PM, Knobbe said:

Alternative NFC West Fix after you edit

Goto https://hexed.it/

Upload your rom

Navigate to 3ffc0 either manually or via the goto on the right side

image.png

At this point you'll want to paste in the following string

a000b1aec9e0f01ec9a0f01ac960f016c920f012a018b1aea0131871ae91aea019b1ae4c16dbac2f00a21920e3d84cf0

When you paste in you need to change the following options:

image.png

Save your rom and you're good

Could this work as a set command too?

SET(0x3ffc0,0xa000b1aec9e0f01ec9a0f01ac960f016c920f012a018b1aea0131871ae91aea019b1ae4c16dbac2f00a21920e3d84cf0)

Might be easier for people to copy and paste that to TSB Tool if it would work.

On 9/24/2021 at 5:48 PM, SBlueman said:

Could this work as a set command too?

SET(0x3ffc0,0xa000b1aec9e0f01ec9a0f01ac960f016c920f012a018b1aea0131871ae91aea019b1ae4c16dbac2f00a21920e3d84cf0)

Might be easier for people to copy and paste that to TSB Tool if it would work.

Yes, my fix was if you had a Mac and couldn't run TSB Tool

• Knobbe unpinned this topic