Jump to content

Three-letter team abbreviation in TSB3 SNES (i goofed up)


Recommended Posts

I was trying to updated the TSB3 2019 (B) SNES game with the Washington Football Team name and abbreviation.  TSBToolSupreme let me make the changes, but kept throwing an error about Shaq Lawson being in the wrong position(?) when I tried to apply data to the ROM.

 

No matter! TSB3m made the change and everything was fine!  I even went in with YY-CHR and, I won't say updated the logos, that's beyond my skill, but at least cleared off the helmet and endzone of the old logo so they're just solid colors now. EXCEPT...I made the abbreviation "WFT" and not "WFT." or even "WAS." Why didn't I just leave it as it was? Because I'm a Dallas fan, and I thought calling them "WFT," as in "Waft," and in "this team stinks" was funny. HA HA HA!  Now when I go in-game, anytime the abbreviation is used, "WFT[symbol]" appears instead.

 

I opened it up in a hex editor, found WFT, and tried two things. I inserted "2E" after the T; 2E is what the period is in other abbreviations.  This, of course, increase the file size...and the game won't run, corrupted ROM in SNES9x.  So I just changed the '00' after the T to 2E. This makes it work for Washington, but then Chicago, the team afterward, has no team city, team name CHI., and who knows what else past that got goofed up, that's when I stopped to come ask for help.

 

TSBToolSupreme will still open the data and let me fix it, but won't let me apply changes.  TSB3m won't even open the file due to error(5), which probably stands for "ya done broke the team data table."

 

That being said -- other than the cosmetic issue of the team abbreviation, the game is running as expected, so it may be harmless. I'm just gonna be upset if I get to the end of the season and hit a game crash 'cause my smelly team broke the game somehow, but only in the post-season celebration. I've never finished a season so I'm eager to see what happens!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, SushiKishi said:

I opened it up in a hex editor, found WFT, and tried two things. I inserted "2E" after the T; 2E is what the period is in other abbreviations.  This, of course, increase the file size...and the game won't run, corrupted ROM in SNES9x.  So I just changed the '00' after the T to 2E. This makes it work for Washington, but then Chicago, the team afterward, has no team city, team name CHI., and who knows what else past that got goofed up, that's when I stopped to come ask for help.

 

The editors when reading the team names assume them all to be 4 characters.

 

Here is the easiest fix

 

Assuming you have just text edits and nothing graphical, what you could do is copy the text from the file you have edited and make any changes.  Then what you could do is get an original version of the rom you're editing loaded up in TSBToolSupreme. Paste in the changes you made to the players and then apply it to either that rom.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...