Making a punt a selectable play?

anthony

I'm working on a 1920s ROM, and am making really good progress. I have all the new formations ready to go (single wing, double wing, Notre Dame Box, T formation, etc) with tons of pre-snap movement, and have edited some runner functions to allow for direct snap runs to tailbacks and fullbacks. Pretty cool so far.

Back in these days, punting was KEY. Because teams could usually only gain a few yards at a time and field position was so important, teams would punt on 2nd or 3rd down if they were pinned back enough. Also, teams that were relatively pass heavy often ran passes out of a punt formation, so defenses didn't know if a pass or punt was coming.

So to fully replicate that style of play, especially in man v man games, I need to not only make it really difficult to gain yardage and complete passes (which will be easy to adjust), but I also want to create a punt formation and hopefully make a normal punt a selectable play (Maybe have every team's Pass 4 be a punt). The thing I'm missing is, how to make the punt meter show up. I think if I can do that, it can execute a legit punt. 

Here's what I've tried to make it happen, in different combinations, ranging from the obvious to not so obvious, all to no avail:

• Changing the QB from a shotgun stance to a punt stance
  • Running a play out of a punt formation
  • Substituting in all offensive punt pointers into a play slot
  • Substituting all defensive pointers into a play slot
  • tinkering actual play code to use the xE6 to see if it works as a stance or action

To you 6502 masters, do you think it's even possible to do such a thing? It's not a huge deal if it's not possible, but man, it would make the ROM a million times better if I could!

It's definitely possible but its a decently complex assembly hack doing it the way you described. Youd have to

1. Create a fake punt formation that is just for punt plays that aren't punts. 

2. Design said fake punt plays and hopefully there is room for them 

3. THe game would have to know that if you selcted play number X in the last pass slot that you want to do a normal punt. 

4 hours ago, bruddog said:

It's definitely possible but its a decently complex assembly hack doing it the way you described. Youd have to

1. Create a fake punt formation that is just for punt plays that aren't punts. 

2. Design said fake punt plays and hopefully there is room for them 

3. THe game would have to know that if you selcted play number X in the last pass slot that you want to do a normal punt. 

My thoughts were to have every P4 play be a punt (Which I suppose would mean 8 identical plays in the code). Then in other slots, have regular plays run out of the punt formation, which is straight forward. 

Was there ever any discovery about offensive audibles? Maybe you can select an actual punt, then press a button before the snap that allows you to change it to a different play (Which I guess would be a fake punt). Bruddog, in your roms with new plays, You had it to where you could press a button and the QB would drop into the shotgun. Maybe the same concept? (I couldn't find on a forum search how you did that, but I did just start looking)