(NES) Tecmo Super Bowl Redux v4.0

SBlueman

Tecmo Super Bowl Redux v4.0

TSB-REDUX.thumb.png.505919fc3e80b304cbb49bfc7513edc5.png

New Version 4.0 updated 11/17/2022!

Some consider the 1990 NFL season as one of, if not the best, NFL season in history. Around the same time Tecmo was starting to work on blowing us away with the all time NES classic Tecmo Super Bowl. I grew up in this era and my NFL fandom was at my peak around this time. For years I have been working on a side project of mine, Tecmo Super Bowl Redux. I wanted to make a more accurate simulation of the 1990 NFL season instead of the 1991 season with 1990 and 1991 players we got. This is the 3rd edition I have released and hope people enjoy this variation of the game. There have also been so many hacks that have been discovered since I first took this project on back in 2004 that it inspired me to revive this project. Thousands of hours have gone into testing how the game simulates in both SKP and COM vs COM seasons. Some of the features of this game includes:

• Updated player ratings
  • Rosters updated for the 1990 season - Players like Eric Dickerson, Michael Dean Perry and Brent Williams are now included
  • Updated playbooks - No more reverses! (New plays added to v4.0!)
  • Schedule is in chronological order just like the actual 1990 NFL season
  • Team uniforms edited - All teams have a dark and light uniform. Team matchups have been edited so they use the correct uniforms like the games played in 1990 (Divisonal games are the only games where uniforms won't always be accurate
  • Numerous color edits
  • New to v4.0 - 4-3 defense version now available!

The game has three versions available: Vanilla, Hardtype and my personal favorite, Hardtype - P2 Road Hack. Here's a list of the hacks included in each version:

Hacks included in Vanilla version:

1. Disable Alt 3 Uniforms (shared by @bruddog)
  2. Main Menu Background Color Change XX's (shared by @gojiphen malor)
  3. Schedule Background Color Change XX (shared by @gojiphen malor)
  4. More NFL like QB rating value (shared by @bruddog)
  5. Player 2 Conditions Fix (shared by @jstout)
  6. Prevent schedule from being random (shared by @bruddog)
  7. QB backpedal animation hack (shared by @bruddog)
  8. Randomize sound loop used for each play (shared by @bruddog)
  9. FG avoid kick block fix (shared by @bruddog)
  10. Increase CPU kickoff length (shared by @Yak)
  11. Better COM punt timing (shared by @bruddog)
  12. Changing KR Speed (shared by @Knobbe)
  13. PR speed change from SS to actual PR player (shared by @Tecmonster)
  14. TE sim fix (shared by @Martin)
  15. Change offensive SIM to 'out of 32' sum (shared by @Martin)
  16. QB/PR ball control (shared by @jstout)
  17. COM Goes For FG w/:20 Left in Half/End of Game (shared by @TheRaja)
  18. Add stats after quarters (shared by @bruddog)
  19. PA/PC hack - PC is INT and PA is target (shared by @buck)
  20. QB throws ball instead of taking sack and runs less
  21. COM Dive Tackling like SNES TSB I  (shared by @xplozv)
  22. Directional punts (shared by @xplozv)
  23. Kickoff Wedge Return (shared by @xplozv)
  24. Onside kick hack better recovery rate for P2 (shared by @bruddog)
  25. Changing the differential for popcorning/ dl busting through (shared by @bruddog)
  26. Better INT returns (shared by @bruddog)
  27. Diving time based on HP (shared by @bruddog)
  28. Buck's TSB COM Juice Setter (shared by @buck)
  29. Find open receiver (shared by @jstout)
  30. Push/Pull Hack (shared by @BAD_AL, written by @bruddog)

Hacks included with Hardype

1. Buck's TSB COM Juice Setter (Week 4 Juice – Max 02 DEF.SPEED) (shared by @buck)

Take a sec to download this game and fire it up! Enjoy Tecmo fans and thank you to everyone who has helped in making this game one of the most edited cult classics ever!

Here's the last 10-season COM vs COM test I ran to see how the teams average out:

avg.png

I ran hundreds of these simulated seasons in both COM vs COM and SKP vs SKP seasons, fine tuning the game until the simulations ran as close to the 1990 season in a 10 year average as I could get it. Countless hours went into this one so any feedback will be greatly apppreciated!

Edited by SBlueman

doing a com vs com of the season, and I really like it!

Im repping my favorite teams (Packers) and they are 1-0 so far :)

im sure that wont last, but a man can hope

Edit: just lost to the bears 38-7 lol

The scores are very realistic and varied, which i appreciate.

Have seen 42-35 and 9-3, and everywhere in between on week 1

Edited by buffalo_tox

• 1 year later...

What a great ROM: thank you for sharing! The hacks that you've put in make a major difference to gameplay, and this means that though I prefer Tecmo Bowl III, I'll be playing this ROM exclusively in the future. In particular, the open receiver hack makes this game so much more challenging and fun! You've done a great job with the rosters, also. I agree with you that 90 was a better year than 91. I love seeing Joe Montana still at the top of his game, and Herschel Walker with the Vikings.

The game feels very smooth, and the player animations are clearly affected by their stats. So far, my only quibble is that the running game is a little too strong. As the Juice kicks in, perhaps this will change for me, but even the sim stats are a bit high for running: lots of 10 yards per carry players. I had Heath Sherman dominating the Giant's vaunted D!

Also, I've got one question: did you add any of the hacks that make quickness do something for defensive players?

Cheers

Edited by Kiwi_TB

18 hours ago, Kiwi_TB said:

What a great ROM: thank you for sharing! The hacks that you've put in make a major difference to gameplay, and this means that though I prefer Tecmo Bowl III, I'll be playing this ROM exclusively in the future. In particular, the open receiver hack makes this game so much more challenging and fun! You've done a great job with the rosters, also. I agree with you that 90 was a better year than 91. I love seeing Joe Montana still at the top of his game, and Herschel Walker with the Vikings.

The game feels very smooth, and the player animations are clearly affected by their stats. So far, my only quibble is that the running game is a little too strong. As the Juice kicks in, perhaps this will change for me, but even the sim stats are a bit high for running: lots of 10 yards per carry players. I had Heath Sherman dominating the Giant's vaunted D!

Also, I've got one question: did you add any of the hacks that make quickness do something for defensive players?

Cheers

Thank you for the feedback @Kiwi_TB, glad to hear you are enjoying the edit! Let me answer some of your questions:

The run game feeling so strong is most likely due to the juice edit in-game. Those guys become jackhammers sometimes when the juice is amped up. This is the code I use in the game:

SET(0x1DF10, 0x0202020303)		
SET(0x1DF15, 0x0202020403)		
SET(0x1DF1A, 0x0202020403)		
SET(0x1DF1F, 0x0202020404)		
SET(0x1DF24, 0x0202020404)		
SET(0x1DF29, 0x0202020504)		
SET(0x1DF2E, 0x0202020504)		
SET(0x1DF33, 0x0202020504)		
SET(0x1DF38, 0x0202030505)		
SET(0x1DF3D, 0x0202030605)		
SET(0x1DF42, 0x0202040606)		
SET(0x1DF47, 0x0202040706)		
SET(0x1DF4C, 0x0203040707)		
SET(0x1DF51, 0x0203050807)		
SET(0x1DF56, 0x0203050808)		
SET(0x1DF5B, 0x0203050908)		
SET(0x1DF60, 0x0204060909)

The original spreadsheet for this hack can be found here:

You can use the spreadsheet there to play around with the code you'd like to install on a rom with TSBTool. You can edit the values in the DEF Speed, OFF Speed, INT, Pass Control & Reception field to generate a set command you can copy and paste into TSB Tool. There's no limit to the combinations one can plug in to get the right "feel" for them.

1265963638_Screenshot2022-03-25171942.thumb.png.828e4593ec7015d965bff371745a3181.png

As for having a hack installed that affects quickness, unfortunately the answer is no there isn't one....although it's not that I wouldn't love to use one. The quickness for pass incompletions hack clashes with numerous other hacks that I find more beneficial and the defensive pursuit based on quickness hack (which I'd love to use) has glitches as well. What I tried to do was find hacks that work well together while not crashing the game. Some of the codes overlap between different hacks and when that happens it causes havoc, sometimes even making the game unplayable. Now there might be ways to get the hacks to actually work but the reality is I am no coder, I'm more of an archivist. All of the hacks used in the game were written by others who put in countless hours figuring out the code to change to change how the game plays. I'm just using what they have shared over the years. But is it possible to edit the code so they work together? Honestly, I don't know. Not to say it's not possible, there might be a way. I have seen others talk about editing code moving code to other spots to not conflict with other hacks but all that is honestly beyond my skills. But if you ever feel like you'd like to tinker with the game some and see what you can change I did upload a zip file with the patches I used as well as text files with the set commands I used. You can use them to maybe develop a set that works for what you'd find works for your tastes.

Thanks for all the above information and for the explanation regarding quickness.  I'm more of an archivist too, but the Juice settings look easy enough to tweak.

I've gotten further into a season with the Vikings and, as I mentioned before, the gameplay is a blast: it's about as close to playing another person as one could get. I lost my first two games, won my next three, and now am on another two game losing streak. What I like is that the good teams can beat me with no obvious juice features.

The run game is still simming high per carry averages, but I've toned it down in man vs com games. I gave linebackers across the board more run power, which means that they're getting to the ball carrier faster: no more torching the Giants with the likes of Heath Sherman.

One thing that seems to be a major problem: running back injuries. Without exaggeration, half the league's starting corps of running backs is injured at the moment. It got to a comical degree when, before one game, three running backs emerged from the hospital before the game could start!

I wish that I could transfer all your good work to Tecmo III for the defensive formations and increased playbook :)

Cheers

• 7 months later...