Sign in to follow this  
Knobbe

NFL 2020-21 Season Discussion

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, cowboyschamps said:

That's because the Patriots have tarnished the American Teams image

So, to be clear, “America’s Team” was still sparkling when Jerry World thought it was a good idea to do this pose for a camera? Just want to make sure your meme joke about adult video stores lands right. :D

6CBB6145-4B09-480B-A5F8-524FE10AE8C7.jpeg

Edited by Yak

13 hours ago, Bodom said:

Lets go Bucs!

image.thumb.png.00a1e011433bcef5f259115ca7917d43.png

...and Pats!  It will be interesting rooting for 2 teams this season.

But like I said above, it would have been more interesting 5-10 seasons ago.  I think Tom would have won Lombardis with other teams.  Given that Tom is 42 and the Pats are losing quite a few players, I don't expect much from either team this year.

I want to make a bold prediction here:

If the Tampa Bay Buccaneers front office have any basic common sense, they'll know that Tom Brady isn't going to be their long-term answer.  They're not exactly in a position of "must-win-now" like the Rams were the last couple of seasons.  The primary purpose of the Tom Brady signing with the Buccaneers is to act more as a talent beacon.  It's to convince the vast majority of the best talent in the league to flock over to Tampa and to sign up with them.  Some of them will inevitably be willing to take pay cuts in order to play with the so-called "G.O.A.T."

This brings me to my next point:  While Tom Brady--just shy of an injury or illness along the way--will most certainly be the starting QB come week 1, the Buccaneers will still draft a QB.  They probably won't make any desperate ploy to draft one in the earlier rounds.  But if they wait a while--say the third or fourth round--then they'll have a chance at developing a respectable understudy to Brady without making him seem like an existential threat to him.

That way, once the wheels start to come loose, they'll pull Brady, and plug in their hopeful future prospect.  And that will be how Brady's career in the NFL will inevitably come to an end.  Even if the projected future turns bust and Brady can pull a Peyton Manning out of his hat to close out his career, he'll undoubtedly be forced to retire.

The Philip Rivers and Cam Newton stories are going to be even less interesting by comparison.  Their roles next season will undoubtedly be to serve as backup QB's until either injury or ineffective play forces them back into the spotlight.  Cam Newton will probably have a better shot at starting in the foreseeable future since he's significantly younger than Rivers, and I have no doubt that Newton will eventually be able to thrive with whoever he signs up with unless the team in question is the Cleveland Browns or Miami Dolphins.

In short, this is literally the end for Tom Brady and Philip Rivers; it just hadn't sunk in for them yet.  Brady is there to act as a talent magnet, while Rivers and Newton will be backups--with the latter having the best chance at a second wind.

I'm starting to see the signs of the Patriots going into rebuild mode. To me, they appear to be keeping the veteran leaders to teach the next generation. The defense is old as fuck, and are only losing their youth in this off-season. S. Gilmore will be an UFA at the end of the 2021 season, and unless they sign him to a veteran deal like D.Mac, then he's gone. Writing is on the wall. Now they also have no Starting Center that is medically-cleared to play football. GREAT.

People want a Brady versus Belichick war, but the reality is that Brady will have a chance--a likely losing chance (just by odds)---to win another Super Bowl with another team, while Belichick will try to rebuild another franchise-setting dynasty a few years from now. Will Belichick find another Tom Brady? Unlikely. Can Belichick do it without Brady? I think that's what he wants to prove. The sad outcome of this is that neither will achieve the same notable success ever again. They will always be remembered for their time together, so IMO, it's short-sighted by both of them to have not made this work.

PATRIOTS REBUILD IS A COMIN', FOLKS.

5 hours ago, Mike Gordan said:

If the Tampa Bay Buccaneers front office have any basic common sense, they'll know that Tom Brady isn't going to be their long-term answer.  They're not exactly in a position of "must-win-now" like the Rams were the last couple of seasons.  The primary purpose of the Tom Brady signing with the Buccaneers is to act more as a talent beacon.  It's to convince the vast majority of the best talent in the league to flock over to Tampa and to sign up with them.  Some of them will inevitably be willing to take pay cuts in order to play with the so-called "G.O.A.T."

Fixed.

The thing that is really going to bust my fucken nuts, is watching Tom MFing Brady play in a home stadium that has the Pirates of the Caribbean Disney-looking NONSENSE theme park ship in the backdrop of his GOAT legacy. 

A FUCKEN TRAVESTY. 

Posted (edited)

It’s going to be surreal when Belichick has his first postgame conference where he takes direct questions from reporters in front of a national audience. I’m betting he allows Tom Brady questions once, peppers his reporter rejection with a few TB12 compliments, and then just as quickly says something along the lines of ‘we’re focused on who’s on this team right now.’ He will then proceed to provide deflections to all Tom Brady questions for the remainder of the season. If in the event that the Patriots are able to make the playoffs next year, Belichick will allow for one round of Brady questions to satiate the increased national audience, and then proceed to deflect any further Tom Brady questions until the day Brady retires or wins the Super Bowl. 

Edited by Yak

16 hours ago, Yak said:

I'm starting to see the signs of the Patriots going into rebuild mode. To me, they appear to be keeping the veteran leaders to teach the next generation. The defense is old as fuck, and are only losing their youth in this off-season. S. Gilmore will be an UFA at the end of the 2021 season, and unless they sign him to a veteran deal like D.Mac, then he's gone. Writing is on the wall. Now they also have no Starting Center that is medically-cleared to play football. GREAT.

People want a Brady versus Belichick war, but the reality is that Brady will have a chance--a likely losing chance (just by odds)---to win another Super Bowl with another team, while Belichick will try to rebuild another franchise-setting dynasty a few years from now. Will Belichick find another Tom Brady? Unlikely. Can Belichick do it without Brady? I think that's what he wants to prove. The sad outcome of this is that neither will achieve the same notable success ever again. They will always be remembered for their time together, so IMO, it's short-sighted by both of them to have not made this work.

PATRIOTS REBUILD IS A COMIN', FOLKS.

I hate typing stuff like this because I love Belichick.  I really do.  But there has always been the debate on who is more responsible for the Pats success, Brady or Belichick.  And I have always strongly felt that it's been Brady.  People always point to the 11-5 Cassel year, but the fact is they went 16-0 the year before and were loaded with an easy schedule.  They went 1-4 against playoff teams that season - and they missed the playoffs.  Bill went 5-11 in his first season as Pats coach and was off to another miserable start when Bledsoe went down.  The rest is history.  With Brady, Belichick made the playoffs 17 of 18 seasons, only missing in Brady's 2nd year going 9-7.  As head coach without Brady he made the playoffs once in 7 seasons.  1 for 5 with CLE and 0 for 2 with NE.

Which brings me to my point.  Brady is finally gone and Belichick now has the chance to prove that he can do it without Tom.  And now they are losing all these key players, which kind of seems like a built in excuse if they don't succeed.  If the Pats go 10+ wins and make the playoffs, the response will be "wow, look what Bill did with nothing".  If the Pats go below .500 it's "the Pats lost too many players".  The response will never be "Belichick can't succeed without Brady".

I would have LOVED to see the Pats with pretty much the same team, minus Tom, to see what happens.

On 3/18/2020 at 1:31 PM, Mike Gordan said:

I want to make a bold prediction here:

This brings me to my next point:  While Tom Brady--just shy of an injury or illness along the way--will most certainly be the starting QB come week 1, the Buccaneers will still draft a QB.  They probably won't make any desperate ploy to draft one in the earlier rounds.  But if they wait a while--say the third or fourth round--then they'll have a chance at developing a respectable understudy to Brady without making him seem like an existential threat to him.

That way, once the wheels start to come loose, they'll pull Brady, and plug in their hopeful future prospect.  And that will be how Brady's career in the NFL will inevitably come to an end.  Even if the projected future turns bust and Brady can pull a Peyton Manning out of his hat to close out his career, he'll undoubtedly be forced to retire.

I don't think it's necessarily bold to predict that the Buccs are going to try and run a more successful Dave Gettleman plan

Pretty incredible Tom Brady / Tampa Bay Buccaneers stats line:

"Brady has five times as many playoff wins, six times as many Super Bowl wins and seven times as many 30-touchdown seasons as all the quarterbacks in Buccaneers history, according to ESPN Stats & Information. He could lose his next 283 starts and still have a better career record than the Bucs franchise." ~ ESPN

Patriots release Stephen Gostkowski. Like a passing thought, the all-time leading scorer for the New England Patriots gets in the yellow submarine with his exiting peers.

1 hour ago, Yak said:

Patriots release Stephen Gostkowski. Like a passing thought, the all-time leading scorer for the New England Patriots gets in the yellow submarine with his exiting peers.

Never liked him. Seemed to screw up most in big moments. Although, I probably compared him too much to the guy who preceded him, which was unfair. Maybe. 

14 hours ago, Bodom said:

Never liked him. Seemed to screw up most in big moments. Although, I probably compared him too much to the guy who preceded him, which was unfair. Maybe. 

His last few years were rough, but prior to that, he was actually pretty clutch.