Monona, WI - 5/16/20 - Tag Team Tecmo II: Rematch!

PunkyQB

Monona Tecmo is back Saturday, May 16th at 2 pm at Village Lanes in Monona, WI.  

Our second event, Tag Team Tecmo II: Rematch, will be just like the first, but hopefully a little bigger and starting just a little later for traveling players. We hope to attract noobs, seasoned vets, and maybe even bring a an old legend or two out of retirement. 

Tag Team Tecmo II : Rematch will pair players together on game day. No partner required! We want to team new players with vets, so the new players have a chance to learn something AND literally everyone has a chance at winning. Once teams have been assigned, sit down for a practice game with your partner before we start competitive play. In the event that an odd number of players are signed up, PunkyQB will leap over the top rope and get in the ring.

Before diving in much deeper, we are stressing the casual nature of this event. We literally have no idea how much interest this may generate, so  don't be surprised if the details change a little bit on game day. 

FORMAT
------------
Tag Team Tecmo. Players will be assigned two man teams. Each player must play half of the game. You can do this one of two ways: 1) One player plays offense and the other plays defense. 2) Play by quarters. Each player must play two quarters. Teams can split that however they like. If a game goes into Overtime, and the team selected quarters, either player can play the first Overtime, but the other player must play the second. This would continue to alternate until the game is won.  

We'll jerk the curtain with an opening round of group play. The size of groups and number of group play games will depend on turnout. 

At the conclusion of group play, teams will be seeded for bracket play. If the number of entrants is small enough, bracket play will be double elimination. If we have too many players for double elimination, PunkyQB, will announce this prior to group play beginning. Bracket play will continue until one team takes the strap. 

RULES
----------
We will use the standard tournament rules that are used for the National Championships at Tundra Bowl. http://www.tundrabowl.com/official-rules.html
The team that is player 1, will have to declare their roles first - quarters or offense/defense. Player 2 will declare their roles thereafter. 

COST
-------
Ten dollars per player. Just bring cash to the event.  

PAYOUT
------------

One hundred percent of the entry fee will be paid out. Payout amount(s) will be based on turnout. If there is enough turnout we will payout beyond the champion. 

SIGNUP
-----------
Go ahead and click attending if you're game, but please complete this signup form: https://forms.gle/MBHiqVQHrsPyfP668

OTHER
-----------
Stay tuned for some announcements and fun along the way. May the JJs go your way! 

Sad I had to miss last years tournament but happy we're doing it again! 2v2 tecmo I've done 2 tournaments in now. 1 with a partner that knew my play style in and out and 1 who did not. I'd recommend not just choosing the best possible player you can find but however finding someone who meshes will with your style of play. Also take a chance and play offense/defense at least 1 of the games. The rush of only playing 1 side of the ball is so awesome!

• 1 month later...
On 2/7/2020 at 4:23 PM, DPS said:

Sad I had to miss last years tournament but happy we're doing it again! 2v2 tecmo I've done 2 tournaments in now. 1 with a partner that knew my play style in and out and 1 who did not. I'd recommend not just choosing the best possible player you can find but however finding someone who meshes will with your style of play. Also take a chance and play offense/defense at least 1 of the games. The rush of only playing 1 side of the ball is so awesome!

See, this is what I was thinking too @DPS!   I really like this format too.  Very cool!

• Knobbe pinned this topic
  • Knobbe unpinned this topic
  • 4 weeks later...
4/16 UPDATE:
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this event is postponed. While we are certainly anxious to see our friends and rivals again, it is not simply not safe enough to host a tournament right now. Please stay tuned as we will do our very best to bring some Tecmo fun back to Monona when it is safe to do so. Until then, may the JJ's be with you! Stay home, wear a mask in public (you're kinda ugly anyway) and wash your hands, man.

Be safe,
PunkyQB