harv2k

Worst NFL record mathematically possible to make the playoffs?

Someone once asked what is the worst record an NFL team could have and still clinch their division. And although it is a mathematical LONGSHOT the short  answer is 3-13. And to achieve this record,  Each team in a division has to lose all their games outside their division. And they have to split their series with each divisional opponent 1-1. This ends up in a 4 way tie at 3-13 making some obscure tiebreaker (probably strength of schedule) the deciding factor. Witness my visual examples that I engineered inside Tecmo Superbowl. These pictures show this phenomenon occurring in the AFC West with the LA Chargers winning their division at a dismal 3-13 and by rule the automatic #4 seed. These 3-13 Chargers marched onto the Superbowl culminating in the battle of LA with the Rams. Narrowly escaping with the SB trophy Is a team with a .187 winning pct. LoL. Quite entertaining to see. Although I suppose theoretically the record could be a bit more complicated. Replace the wins among divisional opponents  with ties. Making the division a 4 way 0-10-6. However I think technically recording 6 ties and only 10 losses constitutes a better record than 13 losses and only 3 wins. So yeah its 3-13!

IMG_20191109_044534470.jpg

IMG_20191109_044546554.jpg

IMG_20191109_044011787.jpg

Edited by harv2k